HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, May 21, 2014.

1. Braddock

Braddock Senior member

2. kulata

kulata Senior member

Mostly the fabric and details such as stitching, buttons etc. An element of the jacket will make it different from a suit jacket but there are tricky situations that are more difficult to discern. Look at @ridethecliche's fit again and mentally project pants in the same color as the jacket and it looks more like a suit than an odd jacket. IMHO of course.

3. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Lapels? I've seen some of the newer peak shapes that SuSu makes and I honestly don't like how exaggerated and huge they are. @steffenbp11 s suit looks great though, but honestly I like this peak style. Older notch jackets definitely give off that vibe though.

Glad the colors worked for ya though. I had a lot of pause with the jacket.

I want to learn to swim without floaties :(

I think the pants break a bit better for shoes, but yeah, I definitely prefer less break.

Alright, you're right on the money. The pants are definitely from a suit. I thought they were safe-ish because they didn't have much of a texture to them. The color is certainly not too out there, is it? I think you also might know it's from a suit because I've posted a picture of the full suit before.

Regarding the jacket. There's honestly not much that would suggest, to me, that it's part of a suit. The buttons are plastic but are horn-esque. I guess I can kinda see a suit in this color though. Nothing on the tag to indicate a suit to be honest!

4. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

Something about the color and cut feels very 70s to me. Ymmv, but that was just how it struck me, kind of dated. A lot DCs stuff looks that way to me also. I cant fault anyone for thrifting, but I also cant lie and say that dated stuff does not look dated.

No h8, just how things strike me from time to time.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2014

5. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Haha you're right on the money. It's from 79. DCs stuff looks that way because oxxford only changed their lapels a few years ago.

No hate taken man, appreciate the input. I think the color works well for my skin. Much better than the khaki does! I think the cut is food for my body as well but don't deny that it's definitely sack-ish even though it's slim.

6. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

@ridethecliche
    Why don't you just walk into a freaking Suit Supply store and get a nice staple suit instead of all this thrifting? Just give it a thought and try it for a change. Stop with this thrifting and trying to force yourself into them. Just try it. (Remember, I was in denial about my suit size and held onto 38R like a Korean to his kimchi).

7. Patrick R

Patrick R Senior member

8. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

I think I sneaked under Patrick R's radar as far as pants length go. Hew~

9. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

Quote:
    The 70's vibe is reinforced by the caramel coloured chelsea boots. Dark brown would have worked better. The colour of the jacket works well as you say, but the trousers are just meh. Please take @The Noodles ' advice before you consider diving in at the deep end.

10. MrTopCat

MrTopCat Senior member

Trouser length is probably one the easiest alterations that makes a massive difference.

Both posts that Patrick R stated that he doesn't like could be 100x better if the trousers had only little-to-no break in the leg, otherwise they are great fits!

11. kulata

kulata Senior member

@ridetheclicheI don't remember you wearing a suit. Wish my memory was that good. You can just tell these things at times but not to dissuade you or anything, a lot of people wear worsted pants on a regular basis, the trick is just making it blend with the outfit so it doesn't stand out.

Be more selective in your thrifting and explore yoox and other discount sites with good return policies.

12. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

rtc, I like it. FlyingMonkey's critique is spot-on. Ignore Stitchy and Noodles. :)

13. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

Guaranteed to divide opinions today, but I'm very pleased with the combo. Fire away!

[​IMG]

Again, the shirt is oversaturated in the photo. Oh well. This is my first Hober tie, a lined, untipped three-fold I got from Parker. Very nice.

14. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

I like it SB... +1 for patterned pants!

15. Patrick R

Patrick R Senior member

I looked and didn't think your pants were an extreme example in either direction.