1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, May 21, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Dark Knot

Dark Knot Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Gorgeous tie, blazer and pocket square combination. Tweed textured tie with the pocket square and yellow / brown combination works perfectly!

2. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

Love the tie SS :nodding:

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
  3. DonCologne

DonCologne Senior member

4. timotune

timotune Senior member

Nice colors! Not digging the very sad gorge angle & buttonhole, though.

3 people like this.
  5. arnathor

arnathor Senior member

Off topic: Yesterday my boss and I went to a Artillery Range in Meaford, Ontario for a 15 hour photoshoot in freezing rain and I got to fire a big ass howitzer with the Canadian forces.

2 people like this.
  6. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Senior member

I love the colour and overcheck pattern on your jacket Don.

I wonder if there are others who, like me, scrolled down and were a little disappointed that it wasn't a full suit?

4 people like this.
  7. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

My daughter is camera shy :)

[​IMG]

6 people like this.
  8. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

I was...I think the jacket is very suity...and would have looked awesome with matching trow

2 people like this.
  9. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

Was nothing more than a silly joak.

He does not pull it off. Its a bad combination. Its too busy and the items just dont work with each other. The fact that that its discernible as AAS style does not make it an ok combo. I like a lot of AASs stuff, and some of it I like a hell of a lot, but that one was a no go for me.

1 person likes this.
  10. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Wearing a combination of items I haven't worn before, so I thought I'd post a fitpic. The shirt is a light grey flannel.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14 people like this.
  11. ShawnBC

ShawnBC Senior member

Nice cardigan, who's it from?

BTW, what's the proper terminology? I'm still confused with the English terms, ie.: cardigan, sweater, jumper, etc.

12. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Cheers, it's a wool/cashmere mix by Massimo Dutti. Probably their only men's item that's good value for money. As I understand it, a cardigan has buttons on the front, a sweater/jumper doesn't.

13. ShawnBC

ShawnBC Senior member

That's what I thought it was. Thanks!

14. Sander

Sander Senior member

There are some funny interviews with Christoph Waltz (I think it was with Conan) where he explains the difference between Austrians and Germans... very funny.
    ...and that Beethoven was Austrian. :D
    Very nice!

1 person likes this.
  15. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

I think you mean Mozart.

I myself believed that Mozart was Austrian until fairly recently, when someone challenged me on it. So I did some googling. Yes, he was born in Salzburg, but at the time, that city was an independent city-state under the aegis of the Holy Roman Empire (as was the rest of what later became Germany), not ruled by the Hapsburgs in Vienna. Mozart's family were German - his father Leopold hailed from Augsburg.

Of course, you could make a similar argument about Hitler, whose parents were also German. But unlike Mozart, Hitler's birthplace near Linz was most definitely part of Austria at the time.

Actually my mother was from Linz. We uncovered an old photo in her archive, which my father identified as being either a distant cousin or perhaps a previous boyfriend. Alarmingly, in the photo the gentleman was sporting a Hitler moustache and a side-swept fringe.

16. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

1 person likes this.
  17. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

Really? Never heard that one. Seems weird to me. How could anyone possibly think Beethoven was Austrian? To me, his music is the epitome of Germanness. I suppose it's because he lived and worked in Vienna for most of his adult life. (Another personal bon mot - my parents in the late 40s lived for a while in a "Beethovenhaus" on Schwarzspanierstrasse.)

18. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

Because he spent most of his professional career there, or in nearby towns, and he died in Vienna. He's buried in the Zentralfriedhof, which is very much worth a visit. Don’t forget he was pupil of Haydn, and his music, particularly the earlier stuff, is regarded as part of Viennese classicism.

Cheers,

Ac

1 person likes this.
  19. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

And there you have it in a nutshell. Haydn and Beethoven. Austria and Germany. Chalk and cheese. Beethoven clearly learned much from Haydn (although neither he nor Haydn would have conceded this) - the formalism combined with playfulness drenches both men's compositional styles - but whereas you always know that Haydn is essentially tongue-in-cheek, with Beethoven it's the exact opposite. The humour in Beethoven's music dresses up an underlying intent which is deadly serious.

Just last Thursday I and a couple of friends performed the Beethoven string trio op 9 no 3. This is, of course, "early" Beethoven. Utterly brilliant music, astonishingly mature and complex, and....so incredibly German. Superficially Haydnesque, in reality this supposedly Viennese music is bathed in an entirely un-Austrian atmosphere.

Anyway, back to normal programming...

1 person likes this.
  20. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Senior member

It was sunny & crisp this morning. [​IMG]

35 people like this.