1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, May 21, 2014.

1. PandArts

PandArts Distinguished Member

Thank you sir! Sorry, I don't want to be the bad influence :embar:

I love that avatar. I forget the member's name who used to do some hilarious photoshop work on our posts. This one made me laugh so hard when I saw it I just had to make it my avatar.

2. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Distinguished Member

Really? They aren't the ideal choice, as I already stated, but they do okay if you've got to have only one pair of boots or shoes for a trip. Oh, well, I'll just take the black captoes next time.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2014

3. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Distinguished Member

They look terrible in that pic. Maybe not in real life, but they look unpolished, relatively square toed, and just way too casual for a suit and tie.

4. FlyingMonkey

Err, they are highly polished and chisel-toed (you do understand foreshortening, don't you?) but yes, I'll agree that they are too casual (although there's a long tradition of offsetting suits with boots too).

5. Monkeyface

Like I said, it's probably just the picture. I'm just not a big fan of any open laced shoes with suits, even though it has a military history. I do like boots with suits, as long as they're closed laced. A nice black balmoral would look great with that suit.

6. Patrick R

Patrick R Distinguished Member

I was prompted to participate more in this thread and I'm game, so here is another lawyerly day for me this week.

Fit:

[​IMG]

Colors and fabrics:

[​IMG]

I really need to do this outdoors if I'm going to use an iPhone.

7. FlyingMonkey

Well, normally I wouldn't do anything other than a black captoe, or maybe a dark oak. I made a compromise choice, and certainly in retrospect, the wrong one. But they aren't as bad as the impression people seem to get from the picture. Here's a picture of the same model from another SF member's ad (and mine are significantly darker and more polished in the toecap than this due to my use of black polish in this area over a period of time).

[​IMG]

8. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Distinguished Member

I was playing around with my Iphone camera today and confirmed my suspicion that the pictures need to be outdoors to come out decent. Shirt is a blue small scale gingham.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. FlyingMonkey

He does have a point about the way people see (or don't see), however. Never mind the social aspects of 'liking' for now, in many respects when people like an image here are just judging photography or mise-en-scene (or more commonly the lack of those things), whether consciously or not.

A good comparison is to look at my shots and EliodA's on the same page a few pages back. Apart from the poor quality shot of my boots - about which there's been, I agree, legitimate criticism and which I've now spoilered for the purposes of this discussion - they are highly comparable fits: the components in themselves and in combination are I would say, as good as each other, but he's using good photography, a relaxed pose and a reliable set up and I'm using a laptop webcam in a hotel room (and relaxation isn't an option because there's a very limited timer). His is well on the way to 20 likes, mine has 5. I'm not arguing that I deserve more likes (I really don't care and that's not why I post here) or he deserves less (for posts continuously great fits), but I do shake my head a little at the inability of people to look beyond the superficial aspects of the image... either that or the boots were so heinous that they mean people can't remember anything else once they've seen them! [​IMG]

10. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Distinguished Member

I don't like your tie today either, which is why there's no thumb :/

I can't say whether that's a function of the light though, but I usually like your stuff so there is that!

11. FlyingMonkey

Well, I've worked out that I've got just enough time for an hour at Bobby from Boston's before I have to catch my flight, so I'm really in too good a mood to disagree... see you all later :)

12. Papperskatt

Papperskatt Well-Known Member

Here's what I wore today. 1919 dated jacket, the trousers and waistcoat are part of a 1921 3pc suit that I have. The button boots are from the teens and the tie likely from the 20s.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Monkeyface

It's about style dude. 90% on here prefers the Italian soft shoulder and wide lapels. Your suit is very British. There's nothing wrong with that, but it's just not en vogue at the moment, hence the lack of thumbs. I quite like the British style if it's done well, but for some reason the lapels with the downward notches always look a bit sad and droopy to me. Moreover, Elio is wearing an exceptionally nice tie today.

Photography is also very important, which is why my posts don't get many thumbs. I simply can't be bothered to take nice pics. Sometimes my girlfriend takes a picture of me, and if post those , they tend to be liked much more, even though it's the exact same suit or jacket I've posted before. We're all basing our opinion on a picture here, so if the picture is bad the fit will automatically go down a few notches, simply because we can't see well what's going on.

14. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Distinguished Member

Wait! You're here?

I love bobby's!

15. Monkeyface

Going out fit. An Italian interpretation of ivy style. Two of SF's favourite things in one post!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]