1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, May 21, 2014.

1. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

We are so not on the page today. :(

I find the jarring/colorful/"interesting" backgrounds to make for a great picture. The one DerekS used the other day, for example, was great. Sure beats all the indoor mirror shots and office selfies. No hate to indoor shots and office selfies, not everyone has a photographer that can accompany them to fun locations, hell, I take mine in front of my rather normcore house, but the outdoor shots with the grungy backgrounds are awesome. Cliche or not.

---

Congrats on 3k poasts, crusty!!!! How do you find the time?!

---

Superb, Pliny.

2. Pliny

Pliny Distinguished Member

beautiful SC there

thanks, er yes pick stitching [​IMG]

Spando, TProf, Europrep, NYI, DkS Unottja, Eilay, Crusty, CP, P/P all awsm, thread is the bomb [​IMG]

3. PCK1

PCK1 Distinguished Member

There are very few people here who have the wardrobe and the consistency to be considered a 'pro'....if you would even define something like this as 'professional'.

These people hardly ever post full fit pics too...so we have judged them only on what we can see...this is the internet after all and photos can be edited and played with....if we saw them in person we might not think the same of them.

The number of thumbs in this thread seems to be jumping up much more quickly than it used to...and i think that people are much too quickly jumping to the conclusion that something is an excellent fit...when in fact you can't even tell if it fits well because all they show you is a small snapshot of their SC, shirt, tie and PS...or their cuffs, socks and shoes.

I concede that not everyone has the means to have professional level photographs taken of them on a daily basis...

This thread's consensus of what a good fit is is very narrow and it denies anyone that does not fit into this context.

A good fit first and foremost is one that actually fits well...and the vast majority of the photos here do not show us this. Once you have determined that all of the items fit...you can analyze at a more specific level comparing the individual items and how they all correlate to create the entire fit.

Some people here that are pretty good at consistently posting full fit pics and showing us that everything actually does 'fit' very well are Claghorn and Tchoy to name a few.

4. upr_crust

upr_crust Distinguished Member

Thank you, Stitchy, though someone with some 63,000+ posts to his credit, to ask someone with a mere 3,000 post "how do you find the time?" is amusingly ironic, but to answer the question without irony, posting has merely become a morning habit.

Thanks, Pliny - quite a compliment, coming from you.

5. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Distinguished Member

@PCK1 , I agree - I've made the same points many times before.

Today, I'm on the road, using my blazer suit as I intended it to be used. Worn as a blazer with flannels yesterday while traveling. Used as a suit today for giving my talks.

Deets: RAF Blue Minnis fresco blazer suit by Cad & The Dandy; CT black label shirt; Drakes tie; Mazarin burgundy socks; Borgioli for Rider Boot Co. smoke grey boots (another 'on the road' choice).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 3, 2014

6. Tristram

Tristram Well-Known Member

trying out some outdoor Photos today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. eilay

eilay Well-Known Member

@Monkeyface and @Gerry Nelson -- Thanks for the suggestion! I was worried that a dimple would look too busy with the motif. Do you dislike the tie’s color or pattern? Unfortunately I can’t get away in my environment with a pocket square at my age.

8. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Distinguished Member

The colour is not appealing to me but more than that, it's the sheen and the pattern of the fabric. Something more matte and less busy looking would work well,

9. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Distinguished Member

A dimple always looks good. Tie colour, pattern and shininess are not appealing.

10. EliodA

EliodA Distinguished Member

End of a long day, artificial light. Not ideal. Bottom left shows colours best.

[​IMG]

11. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

Your post assumes that everyone gives a thumb for the same reasons you do. It also assumes that they share your opinion of the "true purpose" of this thread. I don't think the participants in the thread are as narrow in their appreciation as you assert. For example, I don't want my clothes to fit like either southernstyle or UprCrust (just trying to give dissimilar examples), but I can appreciate what they do. I don't think I'm unique in this regard.
    Wearing those boots with that suit is a war crime. :)

12. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

Let me Explain a little more.

Everyone makes mistakes, and everyone can always learn until the day they die, but that that does not mean that somebody has not reached what one could call a professional level when it comes to clothing.

For example, Clayton Kershaw is a professional picher. He is amazing. Does he make mistakes and can he learn? Of course. But considering his level of professionalism and the accomplishments that he has achieved, I'm going to take his word for it when he tells me something about his pitching.

To that end, when someone has posted fit pictures on a consistent basis where the fit is spot on, and then they move from there to just showing close-ups, I will take them on their word that the fit is still spot on.

There seems to be a little bit of negativity, which to me smacks hard from jealousy more than anything else. Sure there are no shortage of bad fits, or decent fits that need improvement, but they're also people here that post up with strong consistency fits that are excellent in pretty much every regard.

I am not going to say much about the thumbs, because I think that way too much thought is being put into them and how they accumulate and what they mean. They are just a nice way of saying that the person likes something about the fit, picture, or person. They are a nice little gesture, they're not some great meaningful criticism or feedback.

When people complain about it, it almost always seems to me that it's more of a whine that they see other people getting more thumbs than they do. If you are not interested in dressing in a way that garners approval here, that is fine. But if you are, then all you have to do is watch and learn, and you will find that you will aggregate plenty of thumbs yourself. Being mad about other people thumbs is an exercise in futility.

Imho of course.

13. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

My apologies but...$#!T this looks good! [​IMG]

14. EliodA

EliodA Distinguished Member

Thanks, mate! :fistbump:

15. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

I believe it would have made more sense if I prefaced my initial comment on block/full shots by saying that I would like to see full shots on a more consistent basis before seeing block shots. There have been great additions to WAYWRN and my only beef with them was that they were putting up great block shots but I really could not judge their fits because I have not seen any full shots. I think that's it. I wasn't complaining. I was just expressing my wish. This is like the 3rd time I've brought this issue up so I will shut up here on this issue for good.