• We would like to welcome Arterton as an official Affiliate Vendor. Arterton, based in the UK, specializes in fine accessories such as garment bags, umbrellas, and shoe care, as well as fine shoes and boots from Yearn Footwear Please visit their thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
I teach high school and wore this to work. I'm standing in my classroom in the pictures. I have the ability to wear what I like so I do. This outfit is not based on a character from a book, movie or video game so it's not cosplay. Given the sheer number of books, movies and video games in existence, I imagine almost every outfit you and I wear (formal, casual, or otherwise) could be paired with some character. Every outfit is cosplay. Do you take issue with cosplay?
No not at all! I often see cosplay that I find very impressive. To me it is slightly at odds with the concept of style as it relates to day-to-day clothes though. Which, it seems to me is to some extent defined by its practicality. High school teacher though ... I can see that - it's a profession where you can wear what you want and perhaps have a little more freedom than elsewhere to be creative. I wish I had taken the opportunity to do the same thing more often when I was employed as a magazine journalist. Another profession where you don't have "clients" or customers as such. Clients or customers might find this mode of dress a bit ostentatious (hence why lawyers/bankers wear very sober suits - they do not want to "outdress" their clients).
To me, the most interesting elements of the concept of "style" is how it fits into the world we inhabit. Cosplay is obviously the antithesis of this - after all it's really just a contemporary term (derived from the Japanese I believe) for "fancy dress". It's very interesting, culturally, as a concept in its own right, but it isn't style, imo.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It is another tailor, hence the gift part. He didn't nail the look. Still, the fabric is lovely and it should see some use.
They’re on the wild side, but YOLO!

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't forget the Friday Challenge - entries accepted up to 2022/01/17 . . .

Friday Challenge, the first for 2022 - Suited and Booted

The weather today in NYC is seasonable - partly sunny and only moderately cold. Day Five of the parade of sports jackets for this week . . .

Sports jacket - New & Lingwood
Shirt - Brooks Brothers
Tie - Ralph Lauren Purple Label
Cufflinks - Thomson, via Harrods, Terminal 3, Heathrow
Pocket square - no name brand
Boots - Cheaney
Overcoat - Joseph Abboud
Scarf - Harvie & Hudson
Cap - James Dermot, London

IMG_6725.JPG

IMG_6718.JPG
IMG_6721.JPG
IMG_6722.JPG
IMG_6723.JPG
IMG_6724.JPG

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't forget the Friday Challenge - entries accepted up to 2022/01/17 . . .

Friday Challenge, the first for 2022 - Suited and Booted

The weather today in NYC is seasonable - partly sunny and only moderately cold. Day Five of the parade of sports jackets for this week . . .

Sports jacket - New & Lingwood
Shirt - Brooks Brothers
Tie - Ralph Lauren Purple Label
Cufflinks - Thomson, via Harrods, Terminal 3, Heathrow
Pocket square - no name brand
Boots - Cheaney
Overcoat - Joseph Abboud
Scarf - Harvie & Hudson
Cap - James Dermot, London

View attachment 1736950

I like the jacket and pant combo, but I don't think the tie and square are very harmonious together. I'd probably do one or the other here. I'm thinking keep the square and maybe a brown tie.

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the jacket and pant combo, but I don't think the tie and square are very harmonious together. I'd probably do one or the other here. I'm thinking keep the square and maybe a brown tie.
I did actually consider a rust-colored solid tie with the jacket, but liked the light blue tie better. I have pocket squares closer in color to the tie itself, but thought that would be too matchy-matchy, so, I came up with what you saw. Nothing ventured, nothing gained . . .

Featured Sponsor

Friday Challenge "Suited and Booted" VOTE NOW

• An Acute Style

Votes: 18 31.0%
  • Bernoulli

Votes: 16 27.6%
  • Brennenman

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • cr2596

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • Crafty Cumbrian

Votes: 8 13.8%