HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, May 21, 2014.

1. nabilmust

nabilmust Senior member

2. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

There is admittedly not much stock up on the site at present, it's really really low in fact. Heaps of new stuff will arrive next week though, unfortunately we got caught a bit with the August shutdown in Italy.

No worries, I'll send @LA Guy a pm in the next day or so and see if we can discuss it a little bit more before we get too carried away, but I think it could be a good idea and done very tastefully.

3. SamF

SamF Well-Known Member

Thought this was as good a place to ask as any, are there any good resources around here (or anywhere for that matter) that detail the different effects different stylistic choices have on how someone looks in tailored clothing (preferably with illustrations)? As in what effect, say a flared skirt has, or what effect a structured chest has versus a softer one?

The reason I ask is because I look at the fits in here and I get that I like them, but I couldn't articulate why I like them. For example, there was a light grey SB (I think) posted by tchoy on here a while back that I loved, but I don't know what I loved about it.

I know there's the tailors alterations thread, but afaik, that's more for technical fit details than more stylistic choices?

4. EFV

EFV Senior member Dubiously Honored

Last edited: Sep 29, 2014

5. upr_crust

upr_crust Senior member

Today's suit is both an experiment and a "crime of opportunity". I was assisting a colleague who wanted a new suit, and wanted it cheap (due to his financial circumstances), which led us to our local branch of Joseph A. Bank. They had a rack of clearance items, from which my colleague bought a suit, but also on the rack was a group of Signature Platinum suits, their top of the line items, with a retail price tag of $2195. With all of their discounts, these suits were, prior to alterations and taxes, about 85% off, and the one I'm wearing today (a size 40R - I'm a 42 R or 42S everywhere else on the planet) seems to fit (with alterations), so I took the plunge, whether for good or ill, I leave to your judgment.

Suit - JAB
    Shirt - BB
    Tie - Drake's
    Cufflinks - Benson & Clegg, London
    Shoes - Finsbury, Paris

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. SeaJen

SeaJen Senior member

^ Made by Zegna, I suspect. Appears to fit well without the heavily padded shoulders that seem to be the true JAB signature.

7. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

Looks nice to me, crusty. Enjoy it.

8. PandArts

PandArts Senior member

Quite possibly the last 80° day here in Chi for quite a long time...so, one last outing for the linen suit.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. JHT652

JHT652 Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. upr_crust

upr_crust Senior member

To be honest, the shoulders aren't small - I think that it is merely the fact that the jacket is in a size much closer to my actual size *(as opposed to my usual numeric size) that they don't appear to be those monstrous JAB shoulders. (Their slim-fit lines are not victim to this nonsense, as far as I have seen.)

I would be interested to know what company actually does make JAB's Platinum line - it would be quite ironic were it to be Zegna, as I've never owned anything by them (though I did have a suit once made of their fabric).

Oddly enough, the vanity sizing of the jacket didn't extend to the trousers - waist size was a standard 34", and there was only a minimum of selvedge to let the waist out (which I needed - desperately).

I may have the trouser bottoms tapered, and taken up a shade ("medium break" is as close to no break as JAB will tailor).

For the investment, the outcome wasn't bad - at least I know now what the parameters are with that particular line.

11. mrjester

mrjester Senior member

12. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Dubiously Honored Moderator

13. Roy Al

Roy Al Senior member

It's been awhile.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. tdang

tdang Member

[​IMG]

Hey guys, 1st posting here. Not really an outfit photo (hence the absence of square and tie), but really looking to some feedback on the fit of the suit. I think I could benefit from the sleeves being taken in a tad.

15. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

long time no see @Roy Al