HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, May 21, 2014.

1. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

I'm honestly curious. Is it normal to see people walking around on the weekend with ties and jackets in london? It's NEVER the case in boston most places I venture to.

2. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Boston is a very casual city, much more so than NYC (Manhattan) for example. Anyway, there is no one answer for this, as it really depends on where you go in London. It's such a big city and so geographically spread out that every neighbourhood is very different. In some parts of town a jacket and tie is relatively common, in others not at all, and in some it would make you a target for a mugging.

It's not uncommon for all of those neighbourhoods to be right next to each other. I remember a street with brand new apartment buildings with Bentleys, Rolls Royces and a variety of super cars parked outside, while directly across there are dilapidated council estate buildings where you'd probably lose your phone and wallet if you were to go there alone at night.

In my neighbourhood, the average monthly rent is probably around $6k, with a range between $3k - $15k/month. If I walk 5 minutes south and cross the main street there is a vast area of council estate flats that go for $800/month and are crime ridden.

London is a city that is marked by extreme disparity or diversity, depending on your point of view.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2014

3. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Boston is a working class city with a tremendous number of universities and colleges, and the institutions and support business and culture that surround those. Neither are cultures that have any particular propensity for suits and ties. I lived there for four years, and it is probabyl the most tense place that I have ever lived. The tension between the different groups is palpable, and unlike London, for example, which is a much larger city, both geographically and in terms of populations, in Boston, all groups interact, if just on the T.

4. An Acute Style

An Acute Style Senior member

Great look. Where's the cardigan from?

Looking good. Is that the Luxire suit?

5. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

You're right on the money. I've only spent a couple of months in Boston, but I had the same impression. It made me feel a bit uncomfortable, never really at ease. Manhattan is much more cohesive in that sense, while London is not cohesive at all, as many people never leave their neighbourhoods. There's still a very big stigma attached to living south of the Thames, and much of east London is regarded in the same way. I've heard of people who had to move to a different neighbourhood due to unemployment, and the poor fellow's wive refused to take the subway stop there, instead preferring to take a taxi to a different stop in a wealthier area.

Anyway, a drive through London is very interesting. You'll drive through Middle Eastern neighbourhoods where everyone dresses in the same way, and all the shops and even some street signs are in Arabic. Then you have Indian, Jewish, Eastern European, Chinese, African, Caribbean, British, French, Italian, etc. towns for miles and miles in every direction. You can drive for hours and still be in 'Greater London'. The borders between these neighbourhoods are unseen, except for a sudden change in the way people dress or the language they speak. Rarely will you see people from one neighbourhood in the next, they are in essence self sustained communities. It is very cool that there are so many different cultures so close to each other, it feels like taking lots of different mini holidays. However, it's also a little sad that outside of central London everyone chooses/is forced to live in segregation. Of course there are some mixed communities, but they are pretty rare.

So that's why I am sometimes the only person in jacket and tie, and sometimes one of many. It simply depends on where I choose to go and how much money I'd like to spend that particular day.

The cardigan is from Massimo Dutti. I normally don't shop there, as the price/quality ratio for the men's section is a bit poor with lots of poly stuff for the same price as Suitsupply. However, I was there with my girlfriend, and decided to check out the menswear area while she perused the women's section, and I noticed this navy donegal wool/cashmere cardigan. The wool felt nice, the colours are beautiful, and it fit perfectly. Having recently looked at $500 Inis Meain cardigans and feeling a bit sad that I can't afford those, I felt like this $100 one was a nice alternative.

6. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

correct

7. LA Guy

So... if anyone cares, this is the fit that tumblr has liked the most so far in the past month, from the Styleforum tumblr.

[​IMG]

with 603 notes, total.

In the past 24 hours, @Henry Carter has kicked butt with this 203 note fit:[​IMG]

Surging steadily, through the week as been the slubby 161 note fit:
    [​IMG]

I think that the lesson here is that blue is the new blue.

Anyway, sorta wondering what might be a good prize for those who contributed the top fits, and those who are are most ardent followers.

Discuss!

Cheers,

Fok.

8. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl The Moral Squirrel Dubiously Honored Moderator

I follow the SF Tumblr daily....didn't know you could "like" something. I can't keep up with all this crap.

For the prize, maybe something on the SF homepage with the shot and a quick interview from one of your writers?

9. Kira

Kira Senior member

Good point @Murlsquirl . How does a $50-$100 credit to the vendor of their choosing sound?

10. LA Guy

Welcome to 2004 technology, @Murlsquirl . Also, we could do both of those. The $$$ and the interview.

11. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

Styleforum should commission a set of ties through Drakes or another tie maker....and then offer them up as prizes for certain things throughout the year

12. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl The Moral Squirrel Dubiously Honored Moderator

Good idea, but not Drakes. We have 4-5 tie making AVs on the forum!

13. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

14. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

Just give me all the money, Fok.

15. nabilmust

nabilmust Senior member

I used to wonder how images on the SF tumblr got selected for uploading. I gather it's from threads like these?