• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I know it has been discussed much already, but to my eye, the trousers look ok, the jacket length looks way too short on you.

Regarding getting rid of stuff, after many failed attempts (and much financial learning as you suggested) when I finally found out what fit me and what didn’t I set about a long term rough plan to upgrade items with those that fit really well. Starting with the basics, navy blazer, grey trousers, navy suit, grey suit, etc. I prioritized those things where I loved the fabric and how they fit into my wardrobe but just did fit right, and did a one in, one out type thing. If the “one out” was of decent quality, I sent it to Luxe Swap, and used their No Man trade up program to invest in my next item. If I dint think it would make the LS cut, off to goodwill.

Tie: Rubinacci via Luxeswap.
Shirt: Alton Lane.
Blazer, knit, and trousers which can't seem to sit right: Bonobos.
Square: Drake's.
Belt: Meermin.
Boots: J. FitzPatrick.
Whiskey: Suntory Toki.

JlogvEw.jpg

HzMHvAY.jpg

8RGqYTc.jpg

I really like that knit!

Michael81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know it has been discussed much already, but to my eye, the trousers look ok, the jacket length looks way too short on you.

It's a poorly composed photo. I tried to make do with the three seconds of daylight we get at this time of year and the results speak for themselves. I've posted this suit before and it's been well received.

3190088_3.jpg

Last edited:

TheIronDandy

Reaction score
I always hate to post defensively; I’d rather get passive aggressive in responses. But I do think this jacket temperature is cooler than photo suggests. The deceptive warmer brown doesn’t sit right with the charcoal and black. As it appears IRL it works, IMO.

View attachment 1507455

I think the jacket looks fine, it doesn't look like a very warm brown. The scarf looks out of place to me. Not bad, but it feels too far removed from the rest of the outfit. It's good, but I think an off white or grey scarf would have tied it together better.

And now I'm thinking I need some black loafers...

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a poorly composed photo. I tried to make do with the three seconds of daylight we get at this time of year and the results speak for themselves. I've posted this suit before and it's been well received.

View attachment 1507655

Much better, and I stand corrected. Looks like it was an errant trouser slouch issue in recent pics..... (the old etsi (errant trouser slouch issue ;) )

Regardless of slightly narrow lapels, this suit is a keeper. (as long as your keep your pants up :rotflmao: )

Michael81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree, it is a much better presentation of the suit.

I'm also fairly narrow so I would say the lapels are proportionally correct.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, my journey in menswear got its start right when the SLIM tie, SLIM lapel along with EXTRA slim/SKINNY fit was fashionable and more often than not, the barometer. I've learned from that a great deal (financially to say the least lol). As such this is one of my earlier suits. Like you, I love the Harris Tweed fabric of this suit but the lapel width is just not what I am into these days. Even so, I refuse to part ways with it. I wish that there was a way to widen the lapels. It really sucks. As far as the tie, I've received some questions about it before. It is a Prince Albert knot with a small dimple. It's become one of my favorites. I am not into wide ties. I like anywhere between 2.75- 3 inches. In this ensemble I tried to match the lapel width with the tie width.

How do you part ways with stuff that is borderline your stye BUT can still get some wear out of?
I don’t like skinny suits and skinny fit strides but be wary of the pendulum swinging too far in the opposite direction as I dislike loose fits and baggy pleated strides even more.

I’m one of the few on here who actually likes slim (not skinny) lapels and despite what the wingspan loving consensus of the SF regulars say, they are not objectively bad. If you liked them X years ago when you bought the jacket there’s no reason why you shouldn’t like them now, unless you base your changing opinion on the views and approval of what someone here once described as “a bunch of virgins on the internet”!!?

dapper3

Reaction score
I don’t like skinny suits and skinny fit strides but be wary of the pendulum swinging too far in the opposite direction as I dislike loose fits and baggy pleated strides even more.

I’m one of the few on here who actually likes slim (not skinny) lapels and despite what the wingspan loving consensus of the SF regulars say, they are not objectively bad. If you liked them X years ago when you bought the jacket there’s no reason why you shouldn’t like them now, unless you base your changing opinion on the views and approval of what someone here once described as “a bunch of virgins on the internet”!!?

We are certainly on the same wave length. I do not think the then skinny tie and lapel trend was ever going to stand the test of time. Slim may work for some. I just wish i had invested in somewhat classic sized/proportioned suits/sport coats/blazers at that time so that during the subsequent years I would not have to spend extra money updating my wardrobe. Ultimately though, I like what I like. I enjoy the forum because everyone has their own unique style. Some of them which I find repulsive and wouldn't be caught wearing, some are refreshing and offer interesting takes on menswear, while others are classic styles. The spectrum is cool.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We are certainly on the same wave length. I do not think the then skinny tie and lapel trend was ever going to stand the test of time. Slim may work for some. I just wish i had invested in somewhat classic sized/proportioned suits/sport coats/blazers at that time so that during the subsequent years I would not have to spend extra money updating my wardrobe. Ultimately though, I like what I like. I enjoy the forum because everyone has their own unique style. Some of them which I find repulsive and wouldn't be caught wearing, some are refreshing and offer interesting takes on menswear, while others are classic styles. The spectrum is cool.
Yup exactly.
BTW on proportion, there’s a famous interview Cary Grant gave which you can find online. He may be guilty of false modesty but he expresses surprise at being hailed as a style icon as he explains that he’s not really ‘fashionable’ at all. He says his lapel width, strides hems etc. are all middle of the road, staying away from extremes and that’s his simple secret for remaining classic by avoiding the trendy extremes. Wise words.

Daniel Hakimi

Reaction score
I would recommend that you tighten your tie, stuff your square in more, wear pants with a higher rise, and shorten the hem on your pants a bit. You don't necessarily need high rise pants, but the rise here looks very short. Nothing wrong with a break in your pants, but these go beyond full IMO. Enjoy your drink.

The pants fit fine when they're actually sitting right, they just don't behave for photos.

You're right on the pocket square, but I spent way too long fiddling with it considering I was just taking photos at home, so I settled. I like the photo with the knit more anyway.

I really like that knit!

Thanks! I actually got it for $30 new at a sample sale. The only downside is, it's combed cotton, and a hassle to wash and dry... Oh, and of course, it's not a shawl, but hey, $30! So I still wear it into the ground.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads