• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LiteraryBotany

Reaction score
Belatedly, yesterday's outfit. An excerpt from today's reading:

"The garden is an unhappy place for the perfectionist. Too much stands beyond our control here, and the only thing we can absolutely count on is eventual catastrophe." - Michael Pollan, _Second Nature_ (1991).

I am not sure how often folks on SF discuss sprezzatura these days. Castiglione's term devolved into a hashtag years ago, its studied nonchalance watering down with each iteration. Nowadays, I find that folks who claim to exhibit "sprezz" seem anything but: their outfits are studied, composed, with nothing left to chance. They strive for perfection.

Will I ever aspire to sprezz? I doubt it. And I'm not entirely sure I need to. Menswear for me is a recitation of rules. I have to decide which rule not to recite today. The perfect is the enemy of the good.

Anyway, that's today's meditation on perfection, sprezzatura, menswear, and gardening. Stay safe, and stay sane.

Shirt and jacket: Brooks Brothers.

Socks: Ralph Lauren.

Braces: Cordial Churchman.

Vintage items from eBay, thrift, & consignment: Aldens; tie bar; Seaward & Stearn tie; seersucker trousers from Worn Consignment in Charleston.

Antique linen pocket square from a friend. Mask made by Mom.

Timex Weekender watch with Smart Turnout watch band.

Glasses and sunglasses: Warby Parker. .

#VintageStyleNotVintageValues #stylishacademic #professorstyle #fashionintheclassroom #WFHFashion #LockDownDressUp #BlackLivesMatter

20200706_104935.jpg 20200706_105711.jpg

DiplomaticTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
CantarelliKiton-01.jpg
CantarelliKiton-02.jpg
CantarelliKiton-03.jpg

X-post from Friday Challenge. Corona hair finally gone. All linen (except the obvious shoes, hat and shades).

Suit: Cantarelli
Shirt: Loro Piana
Tie: Kiton
PS: Shibumi
Shoes: Di Mella
Panama: Olney
Shades: Garrett Leight

1st Step

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is the first time in my life I've worn a tattersall shirt.

img_1483.jpg

I'd long nursed a disdain for checks like this and gingham in shirting, owing to the army of poorly dressed office workers in my city who have an affinity for these patterns, but I'm slowly warming to it in the guise of country wear.
Show The SC! :eek:

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the heat and humidity of a New York City summer's afternoon, the last thing I would normally be wearing is a suit, but as today is officially New Toy Day (a day on which new merchandise has been received, eagerly), I have donned or photographed (or both) newly purchased items. The first three suit/tie photos feature ties purchased with today's new suit in mind - the stripe picked out by myself at Paul Stuart, the graph check picked out by my salesman, and the floral medallions picked out by the store manager. The polka dot tie worn with the new suit was chosen as another website to which I post photos declared this week to be "Polka Dot Week" - my contribution to the general fun.

Suit - Paul Stuart/Phineas Cole
Shirt - Brooks Brothers
Tie - Drake's (full length shots); Paul Stuart otherwise
Cufflinks - Tatetossian, via the Metropolitan Museum of Art
Braces - Paul Stuart (both pairs)
Pocket square - Harvie & Hudson
Shoes - Paul Stuart house brand (NEW TASSEKS!)

IMG_4187.JPG

IMG_4180.JPG
IMG_4181.JPG
IMG_4182.JPG
IMG_4183.JPG
IMG_4184.JPG
IMG_4185.JPG
IMG_4186.JPG

megadork2000

Reaction score
Have you been to Leon and seen all leather goods? I went there last year but i had already spent all my recuerdo money( i got 1 belt and my wife got a vest). Im going back next year to get me some shoes.

i have family near DF

megadork2000

Reaction score
Yes. I use old ties as dog toys and thats how they end up.

i mentioned it here before, you dont need to pay $200 for a thrashed tie. I’ll thrash them for you cheap

megadork2000

Reaction score
As a special offer for SF members, ill throw in some stains for free!! You’ll be the epitome of elegance

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads