• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

psb

Reaction score
What do you think about the length of the tie?

08ba019963f4.jpg

50ee11c6076e.jpg
Perfect sprezzatura ! You could also call it nonchalance.

loarbmhs

Reaction score
What do you think about the length of the tie?

08ba019963f4.jpg

50ee11c6076e.jpg
I think it's too Donald Trumpian—i.e., too long. Ideally, it should hit the middle of the waistband on your trousers, not 3-4" below that.

i do like the rest of the outfit very much though.

DandySF

Reaction score
A nice new suit
The pants would benefit from having the hip seam taken in, particularly on your right side. The seat might also need to be taken in to clean things up and reduce bagginess. The sleeves probably need to be lengthened but the position of your arms may be exaggerating the shortness. The most critical part of the jacket, the shoulders, fits well.

Gus_McCrae

Reaction score
The pants would benefit from having the hip seam taken in, particularly on your right side. The seat might also need to be taken in to clean things up and reduce bagginess. The sleeves probably need to be lengthened but the position of your arms may be exaggerating the shortness. The most critical part of the jacket, the shoulders, fits well.
The drape here is very weird - I’m not sure why. They usually lay much more evenly.
I’ll post a picture next time I wear them and see if you feel the same.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm usually a fan of your stuff, but these trousers just look "off" (unnatural?) to me. I know you've put a lot of thought into this proportion, but it just seems off somehow. I don't mind the opening at the bottom, but something about the billowing thighs and the rise (stomach-placed fly?)...just not as flattering as your other stuff (though, again, the leg opening seems better than the pegged opening of your other stuff...). Why did you go in such a drastic direction from your other stuff? Why not simply split the difference?

Alan Bee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm usually a fan of your stuff, but these trousers just look "off" (unnatural?) to me. I know you've put a lot of thought into this proportion, but it just seems off somehow. I don't mind the opening at the bottom, but something about the billowing thighs and the rise (stomach-placed fly?)...just not as flattering as your other stuff (though, again, the leg opening seems better than the pegged opening of your other stuff...). Why did you go in such a drastic direction from your other stuff? Why not simply split the difference?
@9thsymph

9th, it all depends on how you choose to look at it. As you pointed out, I’ve studied proportions to the point of numbness.

See, to get a full cut (which is what I’m aiming for due to large thighs/glutes), the trousers have to travel quite a distance for the silhouette to flow. This means the rise must be high (at the navel or even inch higher). It is impossible to get this shape and drape and fullness without a very high rise.

If you study old classic drawings you’ll find this to be true. The only difference is that back then, high rise trousers where worn exclusively with a vest which somehow conceals the rise of the trousers and showing off the fall and drape of the trousers below the jacket/vest.

Now when you look at these trousers under a vest or buttoned up coat, they look very different. So it’s all about perspective. I like the new full look because it streamlines well with a full cut coat and softens an otherwise contourish physique.

Alan Bee

13F91086-CC9B-448B-A2D2-23A6A375EF8E.jpeg
B80B4F97-B242-43F7-A55A-9915DF749F9A.jpeg
EB80A4FC-8B51-4492-9E6B-1B46D5544502.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics