• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ari5t0tle

Reaction score
Either your jacket is too short or you need to hike up your trousers.
wink.gif
The trousers is a little too big... I lost weight recently... and I am now unable to gain weight to fit in these trousers. Unfortunately the trousers doesn't have belt loops, so I have to live with it for a while.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Coxsack, in the context of the FC, that's a solid effort. But I can't bring myself to thumb the post here... :)

I couldn't vote for something in the FC that I didn't like in itself. YMMV.

It's a solid effort in that he integrated that hideous tie about as well as could be expected. It's so dominant that you can't really play down the other elements because it will overwhelm them (like my tie did for mine), but he managed to avoid raising the already high stakes.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just this week, don't worry! :)
Even though I did post an entry for this FC, I don't like loud ties at all, TBH.

What a relief!

Yeah, I think there were a few real nice entries, but its not my thing either.
It's not an American look usually. More of a UK - and by proxy, Australian - thing.

ari5t0tle

Reaction score
Get some brace buttons installed, get some braces and you're good to go.
Thanks for the advice. I just remembered that my old man had a suspenders some time ago. I will have to look to it, or maybe I could buy a new one. I have a $50 store credit with Mr. Porter, and they carry Brooks Brothers and Drake's. Is there any differences in quality when it comes to these brands?

Last edited:

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't have any experience with those two for suspenders but if their other products are anything to go by, I wouldn't have any hesitation in getting braces from them.

Tried and True

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have a $50 store credit with Mr. Porter, and they carry Brooks Brothers and Drake's. Is there any differences in quality when it comes to these brands?
The Brooks Bros. braces on the Mr. Porter site are for formal wear so I'd go with those by Drake's.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Personally I like the woven ones, formal or not - they're much more comfortable, and as they're supposed to be unseen anyway, who cares?

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's a solid effort in that he integrated that hideous tie about as well as could be expected. It's so dominant that you can't really play down the other elements because it will overwhelm them (like my tie did for mine), but he managed to avoid raising the already high stakes.

Oh, I was making a general point, not in particular reference to Cox. That fit wasn't too bad.

Tried and True

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Personally I like the woven ones, formal or not - they're much more comfortable, and as they're supposed to be unseen anyway, who cares?
In my experience the elasticized braces are more comfortable and the woven (such as box cloth) more durable. If you wear a single breasted jacket (sans vest) you would be hard pressed to keep your braces hidden throughout an entire day and the myriad of colors/patterns available today suggest that it's an antiquated consideration. I assume that my braces will become visible at some point so I choose a set that complements the outfit I'm wearing. Of course, this is just one man's opinion.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Sorry, I wasn't clear: I meant the ends of the braces, woven as opposed to leather.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads