• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

loarbmhs

Reaction score
Those trousers are perfect!

That jacket is nice, but something seems off... cannot point towards it but that's just the feeling I get.
Maybe you can chime in:)
It's something I mentioned with one of your other outfits—your left shoulder. Like most of us, you probably have one shoulder that's weaker/smaller than the other. Need to have your tailor allow for this so your jackets don't seem to collapse on the outer shoulder, just before the sleeve head.

loarbmhs

Reaction score
It desperately needs a pair of shoulder pads.

The overall effect is of top quality cloth made up by a substandard tailor.
It's something I commented on in a prior post of one of your outfits. Like most of us, you probably have one weaker/smaller shoulder. Your jacket seems to collapse at the outer edge of the left shoulder. Need to have your tailor allow for/correct this.

Wild Strawberry Rabbit

Reaction score

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guncheck? Check.

D696B5E2-8502-42BA-9B6B-BD79FEF0BD3A.jpeg
F69C808B-A5CA-49D4-BD5B-3D5D5D484BF2.jpeg

9712352F-B64B-4D68-ADB3-BF3E6715AF74.jpeg

Last edited:

jcmeyer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@jcmeyer

I like the idea of soft contrast but that tie doesn't belong there. Too strong for the rest of the outfit IMHO

Alan Bee

It's on the edge for sure. In the full shot it seems less bold. This is not a jacket that likes a lot of my ties.

Did you shorten the jacket? The patch pockets are very close to the bottom edge of the jacket, which (at least for me) looks a little odd and distorts the proportions. Otherwise I really like the look!

Good eye! Not only did I shorten the jacket, I actually had to have the tailor shorten and move the pockets up since they were already low on the original cut. So to maintain the pattern matching he had to recut the bottom of the pocket to move it up on the coat. He still left it pretty low, but I wasn't going to mess with it again.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Alan Bee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Alan Bee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's something I commented on in a prior post of one of your outfits. Like most of us, you probably have one weaker/smaller shoulder. Your jacket seems to collapse at the outer edge of the left shoulder. Need to have your tailor allow for/correct this.

Indeed, a dropped left shoulder sir. Tailor tries to accommodate it but some fabrics just are simply recalcitrant. The absence of shoulder padding doesn’t help but still the lesser of two evils (having gone the shoulder pad route).

Alan Bee

DiplomaticTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BoivinScavini01.jpg
BoivinScavini02.jpg
BoivinScavini03.jpg
BoivinScavini04.jpg

Suit: Scavini
Shirt: Brioni
Tie: Boivin
PS: Shibumi
Shoes: Alden
Shades: Oliver Peoples

willyto

Reaction score
Indeed, needs to go up 1cm or so. Lost quite a bit of kilos since suit was tailored but it fits much more comfortably now with more chest drape ...

Alan Bee
Still I think that it's better for the sleeve to finish where it is now rather than being too short where half the shirt's cuff shows or even more.

I agree that a bit shorter would be preferable but lately I've seen coats with sleeves that basically show way too much and it looks bad so yours were a bit of fresh air.

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good eye! Not only did I shorten the jacket, I actually had to have the tailor shorten and move the pockets up since they were already low on the original cut. So to maintain the pattern matching he had to recut the bottom of the pocket to move it up on the coat. He still left it pretty low, but I wasn't going to mess with it again.

Wild Strawberry Rabbit does have a good eye, but I can see why you had the jacket shortened (lucky for you they were patch pockets - easier to move, I would assume). The button stance is right for you (at least IMHO), and from seeing that, I believe that we have a problem in common - getting a flattering button stance, and a jacket length that is correct as well. (At 5'8" tall, I am in the no-man's-land between regular and short suits. When I buy OTR at New & Lingwood in London, I generally buy a suit jacket in a regular size, for the button stance, but then both the sleeves and the hem of the jacket need to be taken up. I feel your pain ;) . )

jcmeyer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wild Strawberry Rabbit does have a good eye, but I can see why you had the jacket shortened (lucky for you they were patch pockets - easier to move, I would assume). The button stance is right for you (at least IMHO), and from seeing that, I believe that we have a problem in common - getting a flattering button stance, and a jacket length that is correct as well. (At 5'8" tall, I am in the no-man's-land between regular and short suits. When I buy OTR at New & Lingwood in London, I generally buy a suit jacket in a regular size, for the button stance, but then both the sleeves and the hem of the jacket need to be taken up. I feel your pain ;) . )

I actually misspoke about *moving* the patches on this one. The pockets had to be removed and shortened/reduced from the bottom and then reattached at the same upper placement to maintain the pattern matching. Hence these particular pockets are now squatter than they began. I've actually never moved patches but have shortened other, solid fabric jackets and gone within a cm or two of the bottom of the patch. I assume you could move a patch pocket up, though.

As for the button stance issue, that's absolutely something we share (I'm three inches shorter than you). If you move it down far enough to achieve a more ideal placement, it becomes difficult to place the top of the pockets in their standard position aligned with the lower button - they'd be too close to the bottom of the jacket and the balance wouldn't look good. Steed just says F it and places the second button lower than the pocket. Not sure if that's a standard eeature on their MTM or if they do it for shorties.

Like so... this is flaps but I tuck 'em. :)

DavidLane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually misspoke about *moving* the patches on this one. The pockets had to be removed and shortened/reduced from the bottom and then reattached at the same upper placement to maintain the pattern matching. Hence these particular pockets are now squatter than they began. I've actually never moved patches but have shortened other, solid fabric jackets and gone within a cm or two of the bottom of the patch. I assume you could move a patch pocket up, though.

As for the button stance issue, that's absolutely something we share (I'm three inches shorter than you). If you move it down far enough to achieve a more ideal placement, it becomes difficult to place the top of the pockets in their standard position aligned with the lower button - they'd be too close to the bottom of the jacket and the balance wouldn't look good. Steed just says F it and places the second button lower than the pocket. Not sure if that's a standard eeature on their MTM or if they do it for shorties.

Like so... this is flaps but I tuck 'em. :)
View attachment 1256772

I have the same issue. The distance between buttons is more important visually than the alignment with the pockets. Part of the reason I like a one button front. It’s certainly not ideal for every jacket but works well for some.

-DL

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads