• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alan Bee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A day of two maiden voyages. First one for a shoes - a pair of dark brown austerity brogues by TLB Mallorca from their Artista line. The second for a bespoke jacket - brown fresco light (8/9 ozs) picked up recently from Andells.

The shoes are amazing. The design, quality of leather and craftsmanship seem outstanding. I was very happy that I could change the leather (I picked dark brown instead of cognac that is the default option). It is of course too soon to judge, but the first impression is comparable with much more expensive brands (e.g. AS Exclusive Range, C&J Handgrade, Cheaney Imperial Collection). I'm more and more sure, that in the future I'm going to consider only TLB, Vass or Patine (varying on some factors like budget, style and type of intended usage) when buying new shoes.

As for the jacket, I was looking for a plain summer piece with visible fabric texture in rather darkish brown. Finally I've chosen a dark rust fresco light from Hardy Minnis Fresco III book. The stylistic choices for this one were as following: single breasted, half-lined, natural shoulders with minimal construction and spalla camicia, patch pockets and a slightly more open quarters than in my previous order with this tailor. I am pleased with the final outcome, I have a feeling that with every iteration we're ending up with a better product. The two issues I see here (rippling on the back near right shoulder and pulling near the button) do not bother me much. Especially given that they are likely caused by surprisingly successful training regimen I've started two months ago and will be addressed after the season (at least as long as the dimensions change is not ephemeral). For now I won't to get some wear out of this until cold Autumn arrives and see how it adjusts to my body.

Feedback is - as always - very welcome.

View attachment 1222061 View attachment 1222058 View attachment 1222060 View attachment 1222064

* jacket by Andells
* shirt by Camiceria Olga
* tie from Embassy of Elegance
* ps from Poszetka
* Benevento pants
* TLB Mallorca shoes
View attachment 1222062 View attachment 1222059 View attachment 1222065 View attachment 1222067 View attachment 1222066
@blekit

Very well done Blekit. Now that we are making progress on the trouser situation (more fullness through the thigh), next time ask your tailor for a wider leg opening. I know 6.5" leg openings are all the rage (along with skinny pants) but since you've decided to go for a "fuller" cut in both coat and pants, the tiny leg opening looks jarringly incongruent. Besides it makes your shoes look like "clown shoes".

It took me a while to realize this but a wide leg opening is an absolute necessity to balance out the top block of an outfit of a full (or even moderately full) cut coat.

Alan Bee

psb

Reaction score
Today a formal start into the new week. Its raining here, so i take an umbrella with me.

###1.jpg
###2.jpg
###3.jpg
###4.jpg
###5.jpg
###6.jpg
###7.jpg

Last edited:

blekit

Reaction score
@Alan Bee Thanks! The trousers here are RTW. Although they might appear as slim on me, they are in fact regular fit. They are much more relaxed and comfortable than some other pairs I have, but I agree there's still room for improvement.

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The weather remains, at least today, seasonably warm and relatively dry, which is fortunate, as I need to wear a jacket today, as I am dining at "21" this evening - the consequences of Restaurant Week (as it is, the "week" stretches nearly four weeks), and "21" has a dress code for gentlemen. I believe that I shall pass muster.

Suit - Brooks Brothers
Shirt - Hilditch & Key
Tie - Charvet
Cufflinks - Benson & Clegg, London
Pocket square - Polo Ralph Lauren
Shoes - Crockett & Jones, via Ede & Ravenscroft
Hat - Scala

IMG_0301.JPG

IMG_0296.JPG
IMG_0297.JPG
IMG_0298.JPG
IMG_0299.JPG
IMG_0300.JPG

samtalkstyle

Reaction score
I received a few compliments on this outfit from my peers at the university but I felt like I could have made better selections.
Knowing the overcoat is too small - as with most of my current outerwear - but needing an extra layer to stave off the cold weather, I wore it open to avoid any nasty pulling.

1222190-a126d29dd1d7c04a8713d3fe352ee84a.jpg

MrAmbrose

Reaction score
I received a few compliments on this outfit from my peers at the university but I felt like I could have made better selections.
Knowing the overcoat is too small - as with most of my current outerwear - but needing an extra layer to stave off the cold weather, I wore it open to avoid any nasty pulling.

1222190-a126d29dd1d7c04a8713d3fe352ee84a.jpg

You might consider trousers with less taper and a fuller cut. Something with an athletic cut. See how they are pulling in several spots. I like the sweater and shoes.

themanfromLisbon

Reaction score
@Alan Bee Thanks! The trousers here are RTW. Although they might appear as slim on me, they are in fact regular fit. They are much more relaxed and comfortable than some other pairs I have, but I agree there's still room for improvement.

Blekit
Today, we use slim trousers (well, let,s not exaggerate). When one of my friends of the old school that show me photos of Cary Grant or Fred Astaire I use to say: “Yes, they were sharp, weren’t they?. But they are dead. Only dead bodies used that kind of trousers”.

Cheers

Vic

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brioni flaminio suit
Kiton tie
E.Zegna shirt
Carmina oxblood shell cordovan
The jacket looks too big IMO. Too long, shoulders are too wide and the button stance is too low. It could be the camera angle, but I don’t think so.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads