HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, May 21, 2014.

1. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Hehe...I was in a similar boat for the last few years. Now I'm with someone else's big listed company, I suppose the situation should be a bit different. So now I just try to live the F-U without actually saying it!

2. eviltimeban

eviltimeban Senior member

Like Mimo I'm business development, so I need to stand out in a way... at 6'5" I'm fairly noticeable, but the level of menswear here in Ireland is shocking, at least among the ordinary office workers, so anything you do above and beyond will make you stand out, like wearing a PS (which is rare in Dublin).

I noticed when I was in London recently there were a lot of guys in suits but no ties... not a look I like. A friend of mind once said it makes one look like a drunk, staggering home in the early hours of the morning. [​IMG] (not implying anyone here fits that description of course).

I would hate a job where I would have to wear casual wear. I'd settle for Bus-Cas. Luckily the industry I'm in is pretty CBD and formal and ties are always a must.

3. SeamasterLux

SeamasterLux Senior member

Very nice!

4. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

Thank you! [​IMG]

5. SeamasterLux

SeamasterLux Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ring Jacket suit
    Bespoke Courtot shirt
    Sartoria Ripense tie
    Drake’s PS
    John Lobb shoes

6. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

Love the SC

Academc and P/P awsm

Musqurl- one thing about the Fresco- advise go wth a dark lining

7. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

That's not bad either! [​IMG]

This. Because it's see through you will see the colour of the lining, that's why personally I'd advice black.

8. mossrockss

mossrockss Senior member

She'd be thrilled you asked: it's her Filofax

:blush:

Wow what a compliment! That is exactly the way I try to dress, so the fact that you picked up on it is a huge validation.

As for photography, most of my pics are taken on my iPhone with a self timer app; I set it up on a table outside on our patio (the lighting at the end of the day works best) and do a cheesy pose. Occasionally I can cajole my professional photographer of a wife into snapping my pic, usually with the iPhone and just for fit purposes.

For the rare professional-looking shoot like from the other day, we do those type of shoots every once in a while for different reasons. We are both photographers—she shoots portraits and owns her own business, I do more photo journalism type photography for my job—so it's something we can do together every once in a while for fun (we haven't done it super often though bc it's both our jobs, though we want to do it more). Most of the time it's just her photographing me, like for my tumblr, and the equipment she'll use for that is her Canon 6D plus typically a 50mm prime lens (or 85mm). The bicycle shoot was kind of annoying because we were posing ourselves using the wifi on her Canon and looking at the image on our iPhone. It took forever and was a bit tedious. Next time we'll probably pay one of her friends :D

To answer your question about taking a photography course, I learned tons from my dad growing up (he's been a photographer for much of his life and taught us kids), and yes indeed I took one or two in college, which greatly helped learn my way around an SLR body (the film course I took was actually most helpful for that, digital makes it easier to just snap away without paying attention).

My biggest tip is just find good light. Window lighting or shooting outside (try to keep the background darker than you) are the things that work best. Bathroom selfies are popular bc that's where most folks have the most light collected in one spot: above the mirror, plus they can see their pose and adjust it.

9. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

10. kulata

kulata Senior member

Fantastic! Whatever shoulder treatment you have on that suit should be your default going forward IMHO of course.

11. eviltimeban

eviltimeban Senior member

Thanks for the thumbs yesterday old chaps; been keeping it pretty subdued this week:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

Wow, that is indeed subdued for you ETB. You need to take a dump on that tie and then post it on the "Loud Tie Challenge".

Here's me today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Maurizio Baldassari for Henry Bucks - Camicissima - EG Capelli for Noodles - TM Lewin - random belt - Pal Zileri - Carmina shell

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  13. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

cheers. next one perhaps

14. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

Pleasantly surprised with the loud tie challenge entries so far.

I am pretty fortunate in that I can pretty much wear whatever I want to work as long as it's not shorts and a T-shirt. Also jeans and polo shirts are a no go, but outside of that I have free reign.

15. JHT652

JHT652 Senior member