1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, May 21, 2014.

1. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Distinguished Member

Doesn't Apple have an explicit dress code like that?

2. Snoogz

Snoogz Distinguished Member

Not the retail locations...my genius bar has a playa who wears a Scottish kilt. Others just look more like bums with hipster haircuts.

3. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Distinguished Member

I think in corporate they do. As evidenced in guido's transformation some years ago.

4. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Distinguished Member

That's who I was thinking of.

5. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Distinguished Member

It comes up from several ebay fabric vendors now and again, and not at ridiculous prices either.

6. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

SB & TP, good stuff.

7. spectre

spectre Distinguished Member

Unbelievable! Be like Apple soon, tee shirts and shorts only. Remember Phat Guido...he presumably had to ditch all his carefully made suits and expensive shirts and ties when he joined Apple.
    Weird this, on one hand you have an international mens' style push to be better dressed with lots of websites like this very popular and on the other hand you have formal professions moving away from it - and it's compulsory.
    At least being retired I can dress up as much as I like. As a journalist I was always compromised at press conferences etc, surrounded by people in track pants and sneakers.

Edit: written before I noticed above posts re PG.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014

8. Pliny

Pliny Distinguished Member

good to know FM. I can imagine a suit cut in R&T but in a modern style would really rok- high gorge, low buttoning, open quarters, flat front

9. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

Did you see Slewfoot's brown fresco? It looked pretty damned good to me.

10. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Distinguished Member

Still cold enough here for tweed and needlecords (which are navy blue, not black).

[​IMG]

11. Pliny

Pliny Distinguished Member

12. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

1. I hate dress codes of any type.
    2. That said, you can do great things with a no-tie wardrobe that is not intimidating to the "stereotypical client", and that ranges from what @NOBD does (sorta the Fransboone, #menswear casual thing) to something that is much more sleek and modern without looking like you are going to a zombie-apocalpse survival convention, to something that is more streetwear, to something that is more modern mainstream designer. You can even easily stick to traditional fabrics. And because you don't have to wear a tie, ot frees you up to use more unusual fabrics in more atypical shapes. For example, moleskin, usually reserved in CM for trousers, can be used as that, or be used in a jacket (sports or otherwise), or a shirt jacket.

Without knowing more about your company of your clients of your dresscode, it's hard to make concrete suggestions. But I wouldn't take this as a capitulation, but life telling you it's time to change things up a bit. BTW, I'd be happy to have a thread about "casualwear that is not going to make your clients think you are in a death metal band". I know that there is a CM casual thread...

imo, and having a background in both CM and SWD, I think that SWD and casualwear is often harder to do well because of the fluidity. Maybe it's just my mindset, which is vey wild west, but I find that very interesting and exciting.

13. Foxhound

Foxhound Distinguished Member

Alright, thanks Pliny, will keep it in mind! I feel as though the white shirt sticking out from the black knit wouldn't look so great? Or did you mean just having the black stick out more?

14. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

So, um, yes? :)
    These are great general suggestions, but I think MF is saying that his company's dress code is a CBD suit, sans tie.

15. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl The Moral Squirrel Dubiously Honored Moderator

Getting me excited, Pliny! I have a Formosa in that fabric being made that I hope to have in a few months.