HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, May 21, 2014.

1. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Dubiously Honored Moderator

You've stopped posting fits because you've stopped wearing ties? How very selfish of you! :smarmy:

Nice job MF

2. Amar ezzahi

Amar ezzahi Affiliate Vendor

Welcome BLEAP!

3. bienluienapris

bienluienapris Senior member

4. spectre

spectre Senior member

Yeah, I do agree they could be a bit wider. Too late now. Bad photography plus chest a bit larger than bottom half probably distorts image. Looks okay in real life.
    I think half shots like Gerry does would definitely give a better representation so I will try those in future.

EDIT: My wife agrees about the pants and I have previously floated the idea of letting them out with my tailor. Need to check how much room is available but there are a lot of pants so I have put off the process but will now re-visit it.
    If you guys agree with her who am I to argue?

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014

5. spectre

spectre Senior member

Monkeyface - if you're going to stop wearing ties at least have the decency to wear a sport coat and not a suit. Tieless suits make you look like every other no hoper out there who still hasn't got over the dreadful fad which started 15 years ago. It just looks plain careless and untidy too.
    I will assume you don't have white sneakers ready for the commute to work.

6. SamF

SamF Well-Known Member

I think MF is an investment banker in London? Sport coat and odd trousers would be a no no I think.

7. spectre

spectre Senior member

Mossrockss

Looks like you are having a wonderful time. I like your fits a lot, they remind me of the styles I used to see in Esquire and GQ in the 1960s, when they were good, but you have them updated and a little Italian thrown in to go with the American staples, which I think suit you perfectly.
    But I also love your photos. You have great skills and these pics are a joy to see, especially the one in the back garden (nice "yard") with the bicycles. That's a gem.
    What sort of camera do you have and have you done a photography course, if you don't mind me asking.
    Shots like those and Gerry Nelson's really brighten this thread - whereas I struggle to get a basic image across.

8. spectre

spectre Senior member

Okay, I think I knew that but forgot. Then he should wear ties.

9. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

I wish I could, but unfortunately, we all have to make sacrifices in order to fit in. This is the dress code where I work, so I will adhere to that. It's a client facing and client focused business, so you don't want to do anything that would alter a client's opinion of you negatively. Risking one's job or possibilities for advancement over the way you dress is not worth it for me. I care about clothes, but not that much. It is a little sad to see 30 odd unused ties in my closet when I get dressed in the morning, but I don't think I have anything to complain about.

10. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Take it easy with the patterns guy. You're going to give someone a seizure.
    I think this would look better with a more casual suit, some of the chalkstripes that nick pollica has come to mind.

11. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Thank you, Cleav. Congrats on the 25 years btw, a momentous and joyous occasion. I hope you'll celebrate it properly.
    Chalk stripe is a no-no, and I've quickly come to realise that nearly any kind of striped suit needs a tie. They're too businesslike to be worn without. It's not ideal, but solid/textured/herringbone suits can get away with it.

12. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Dubiously Honored Moderator

Thanks mate

Never needed a reason to celebrate properly but this is certainly one :nodding:

13. SamF

SamF Well-Known Member

Oddly, despite stylistic conservatism in MF's line of work & location, ties are also often a no go.

14. spectre

spectre Senior member

Yes, same in those professions in Australia. Very depressing that now you must wear casual Friday stuff all the time.

MF: I think you explained previously why you had to go tieless, so sorry for making you repeat it. I can't remember anything much these days.

15. CesarRenuan

CesarRenuan Member

Great find but definitely get the shoulders altered and re-post. would love to see how it comes out.