• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
X-poast from the Challenge.

Ray-Ban vintage - Caruso - Ascot Chang - Canali - Henry Carter - Sea-Gull - Carmina

Nice. The difference in saturation and color between pic 1 and the rest is extraordinary. First one is out of whack? Nice to see so many POWs.

luv2breformed

Reaction score
It has been a long long time since I have posted on here. I miss doing it and I miss the advice/inspiration, so, despite my busy internship schedule. I am going to attempt to post more. This is a new linen/cotton boglioli jacket. It was friday and I am not seeing clients today so I just decided to give it a test run. Going to shape the chest/upper torso a bit (it is completely unstructured) and shorten the sleeves. I am wearing jeans (yes, jeans
frown.gif
) and some brown Rancourt penny loafers and navy socks. The tis has green dots in addition to the yellow and red flowers. Have a great day everyone and glad to be back!

Hi. :)

I like this for the most part. It gives me some inspiration for what to do with my jeans. I would say that I vastly prefer chinos with loafers and boots with jeans. Even though they aren't visible, I would instictively pair suede chukkas with this outfit as opposed to the stated loafers. YMMV

Also, I would do a silk knit tie or a really rough linen blend one, but that's more of a personal preferance thing.

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First off, thanks, Stitchy, for the compliment.

Secondly, welcome back, Citan - nice to see you posting again. I like today's posting, though today's tie might be a little formal for wearing with jeans (to luv2breformed point), but it harmonizes nicely, in terms of pattern and color, with the jacket.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Apologies if too casual (though, tailored nonetheless...)

What's the shirt, please?

It has been a long long time since I have posted on here.

Welcome back. It's difficult to be sure from the photo angle, but I think a slightly lower buttoning point and wider lapels would flatter you more. It actually looks fine through the torso, though of course you'd be able to tell the reality of that much better than I, just from wearing it.

Casual today, so spoilering:

7lNgccE.jpg

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Holdfast it's a long sleeve cotton polo by Eidos Napoli. They make a few different models so I'm not sure exactly what they call this one. @NickPollica would surely know...

Gianni Cerutti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A shared sentiment. My waistline doesn't, however... a rare treat only.

Re: the FNB article - I got bored halfway through reading it so skimmed the second half. My impression is that it's a mixed bag of historical fact, truism and opinion. I'd summarise my opinion as saying that bold shirts are certainly accepted within the language of professional dress in the UK. Note, "professional dress" which is not necessarily the same as "conservative dress". That is to say, there was, and is, a subset of professionals in perfectly dull & respectable jobs whose sartorial tastes are loud. Loud within the confiness of professional acceptability, but loud nonetheless. You find them working as solicitors, surgeons, vets, brokers (and esp. jobbers), etc, etc. This taste for the flamboyant drifted down to some of those they interacted with directly (clerks, estate agents, financial advisors, etc) and then-on in exaggerated and somewhat unorthodox fashion into the wide-boy look and so on down in ever more exaggerated form until you end up with mobile phone salesmen. Apologies to mobile phone salesmen, but I couldn't think of a better stereotype for the end-point.

Part of this tradition is that most British people still have a very finely tuned radar for class distinction that functions relatively independently of economic status or ethnicity (and even current socioeconomic status, actually); on that note FNB is assuredly correct. And despite the pretence that the modern world operates meritocratically, a lot of the machinery of daily interaction is still (unconciously) greased by those immediate assumptions. The effect is gradually fading as time passes and widespread exposure to the traditional archetypes lessens. But it's still there, embedded in the culture. So the need to wear conservative clothes to create a fake sense of social status - as other countries frequently do and upon which rules a lot of SF "good taste" is predicated - is largely obviated. There's much more leeway to dress flamboyantly if you know deep down that's not really how others are judging you. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that it's still true, even in this day and age, that the ease with which you navigate the chores and errands of daily life depends more on your accent and manner of speech than your dress or even your bank account. Perhaps that's a step too far, and certainly in the longer term money makes the most difference as it does the world over, but purely in terms of daily life I suspect that I'm right. Others can offer their own thoughts.

Back to clothes and coincidentally enough, I'm wearing either a particularly wide bengal or somewhat narrow butcher stripe shirt today. And as I got dressed, I consciously decided to pair it with a casual outfit instead of the more businessy one I would instinctively wear with it. But I could equally have worn a navy suit and black shoes with exactly the same shirt/tie combination. In fact, it would have been more orthodox to do so, despite the relative loudness of both the shirt & tie.

Beautiful ties..I love this electric blue

Monkeyface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Formal Friday Challenge X-post:
I have no reason whatsoever to dress up, but since when does one need a reason for that?

This is about as formal as it gets for me: midnight blue Sartoria Partenopea suit, grey pindot Drakes tie, white linen square, light blue double cuff Kamakura shirt and black cap toe Meermin shoes.

Tried a Sotiris like shot, but failed horribly:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i like that, don. much prefer the sedate shirt with your combos.

ianGP

Reaction score
This might actually be more casual but I'm putting it here anyway:

Citan1145

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'd wait on the sleeves as they have a tendency to shorten with wear, linen particularly so.

Maybe so!

Hi. :)

I like this for the most part. It gives me some inspiration for what to do with my jeans. I would say that I vastly prefer chinos with loafers and boots with jeans. Even though they aren't visible, I would instictively pair suede chukkas with this outfit as opposed to the stated loafers. YMMV

Also, I would do a silk knit tie or a really rough linen blend one, but that's more of a personal preferance thing.

I do have suede chukkas, so I will try those next time. My tie collection is somewhat limited, but I agree 100%. Looking to get some more ties along these lines for spring/summer wear.

First off, thanks, Stitchy, for the compliment.

Secondly, welcome back, Citan - nice to see you posting again. I like today's posting, though today's tie might be a little formal for wearing with jeans (to luv2breformed point), but it harmonizes nicely, in terms of pattern and color, with the jacket.

Ditto the above comment. I went with what I could but I agree it is somewhat formal.

What's the shirt, please?

Welcome back. It's difficult to be sure from the photo angle, but I think a slightly lower buttoning point and wider lapels would flatter you more. It actually looks fine through the torso, though of course you'd be able to tell the reality of that much better than I, just from wearing it.

Casual today, so spoilering:

7lNgccE.jpg

I agree, I prefer a lower buttoning point. I got this from Yoox and it is a boglioli, which in general fits me well and tends to be a bit broader in the lapels.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
your best yet. lovely.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads