• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
UC Today, You’re dressing some of my fav things. And I always think that purple gives a special twist to any combo (but of course, the combination must help, and that’s the case).
Another point: till a few years ago, for the crowd, shoes should be from Northampton or Italy (and for the average American man, Alden or any other american brand). Now, Japan and Spain are taking the market with a bunch of “new” brands. Carmina is one of the best known.
As you have a very enviable collection of shoes of many brands, how do you consider Carmina among the other brands you have? In terms of quality/price, naturally.

Thank you for your compliments, as always, mon cher Lisboa.

As for your question, I can only judge by my own experience, and my own feet. That being said, I rate Carmina a bit above Alden, and slightly below Crockett & Jones, noting that the prices for Carmina are commensurately lower than C & J, and about equal, at this point, to Alden. I must say that I have normally found C & J shoes, regardless of last, to be more instantly comfortable than the Carminas I have owned, but that my feet, and Carmina's Simpson last seem to like one another. The Carminas most recently posted were made on the Buger last, which is not in current production, from what I can see from their website, and I have a pair of horsebit loafers on the Uetam last, which I have found the least agreeable of all three Carmina lasts I have tried. I have, once, tried on a pair of Carminas on the Inca last, which, for me, runs large (I had to go down a half size for proper fit, though they seemed quite comfortable once I was in my proper size). As for styling, I like Carminas very much.

As for Japanese shoes, I have only once tried on a "try-on" pair of RTW Fukudas, which were not that comfortable on my feet, but were exquisitely elegant. However, I would never spend the sort of money one must to own a pair of even "lowly RTW Fukudas" (somewhere north of 2200 USD, as I remember). I am a cheapskate.

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
¡Hola! Couldn't decide which one to upload, so...

serie_editado-1.jpg

serie.jpg

Epicure

Reaction score
I tried the cream silk pocket based on mafoofan’s assessment, but it never seemed to work well. They are only good for tuxedo’s and blue mohair suits.
Ah, gotcha. For a while I remained convinced that the versality and even superiority of the cream silk square per Foo et al was misguided. I tried experimenting with many failures. But lately, I feel I've worked out how to use it to good effect, success finally coming after further trial and error. I accept that others don't find much use for a cream silk square, or just don't like the results at all, but I like the simplicity it offers and find it is often the answer to avoid going over the top with outfits where there's already a lot going on. I'd hate to have to rely on one exclusively though.

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The weather remains wet, at least for the morning here in NYC, but I've decided to ignore it as much as possible. Happy Friday, in any case.

Suit - Paul Stuart/Phineas Cole
Shirt - The Shirt Store, NYC (now defunct)
Tie - Corneliani
Waistcoat - Ede & Ravenscroft, London
Braces - Albert Thurston, via New & Lingwood, London
Cufflinks - Benson & Clegg, London
Boots - Paul Stuart house brand
Overcoat - Joseph Abboud
Scarf - Frank Stella, NYC
Cap - Paul Stuart

IMG_9435.JPG

IMG_9430.JPG
IMG_9431.JPG
IMG_9432.JPG
IMG_9433.JPG
IMG_9434.JPG

Alocin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see from all your posts that you have mastered the double-four-in-hand-do.
Can you give me some advice on the matter?
Thank you! Luigi

I think it’s only because it’s really the only knot I tie!

But I think what works for me is leaving the first loop over the front very large. Even though when I bring the front blade through both loops, it’ll be very short, the large loops allow me to shape the dimple and knot better than if I kept it snug from the beginning.

themanfromLisbon

Reaction score
Thank you for your compliments, as always, mon cher Lisboa.

As for your question, I can only judge by my own experience, and my own feet. That being said, I rate Carmina a bit above Alden, and slightly below Crockett & Jones, noting that the prices for Carmina are commensurately lower than C & J, and about equal, at this point, to Alden. I must say that I have normally found C & J shoes, regardless of last, to be more instantly comfortable than the Carminas I have owned, but that my feet, and Carmina's Simpson last seem to like one another. The Carminas most recently posted were made on the Buger last, which is not in current production, from what I can see from their website, and I have a pair of horsebit loafers on the Uetam last, which I have found the least agreeable of all three Carmina lasts I have tried. I have, once, tried on a pair of Carminas on the Inca last, which, for me, runs large (I had to go down a half size for proper fit, though they seemed quite comfortable once I was in my proper size). As for styling, I like Carminas very much.

As for Japanese shoes, I have only once tried on a "try-on" pair of RTW Fukudas, which were not that comfortable on my feet, but were exquisitely elegant. However, I would never spend the sort of money one must to own a pair of even "lowly RTW Fukudas" (somewhere north of 2200 USD, as I remember). I am a cheapskate.

Dear UC I absolutely agree with you about Fukuda. When I see one of his models, I think that it’s so perfect that if I could put my hands in it, I wouldn’t dare to wear it on the street to don’t take the risk of spoiling it. True art! As well about the price: I think we must have limits, and Fukuda prices (as John Lobb long time ago) go beyond it. I always think that with the money of a pair of Fukuda, I could buy 2 pairs of Edward Green or 3/4 Mecariello.
As for Carmina, the problem it’s the same with other Spanish shoes: beautiful models, but the leathers are rather difficult to “brake” what makes the 1st walks a bit painfuls.

Always a pleasure to have your opinions

Cheers

Vc

tcbinnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The weather remains wet, at least for the morning here in NYC, but I've decided to ignore it as much as possible. Happy Friday, in any case.

Suit - Paul Stuart/Phineas Cole
Shirt - The Shirt Store, NYC (now defunct)
Tie - Corneliani
Waistcoat - Ede & Ravenscroft, London
Braces - Albert Thurston, via New & Lingwood, London
Cufflinks - Benson & Clegg, London
Boots - Paul Stuart house brand
Overcoat - Joseph Abboud
Scarf - Frank Stella, NYC
Cap - Paul Stuart

View attachment 1147676

Photo 2 (brace, shirt, tie, etc.) shows the artful elegance of your selection.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads