• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

tcbinnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe that today is, at least calendrically, the first day of Spring. Temperatures in NYC are not especially spring-like, though the sun is shining, and it will warm to about 11C/51F by the afternoon, hence a lighter weight topcoat today.

Suit - New & Lingwood
Shirt - Tyrwhitt
Tie - Charvet, via Saks Fifth Avenue
Cufflinks - Penhaligon's
Braces - New & Lingwood
Pocket square - no name brand
Shoes - Carmina
Topcoat - Turnbull & Asser
Scarf - New & Lingwood
Hat - Laird, London

View attachment 1146770

Pretty awesome. Today I just received my very first dble brstd jacket and seeing you look so well gives me hope I can pull the look off.

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty awesome. Today I just received my very first dble brstd jacket and seeing you look so well gives me hope I can pull the look off.

Thank you for the compliment. I wish you well, and I am sure that we will all be interested to see your first postings.

pickergc

Reaction score
would opt for a non-BD collar next time.

Pickering_March-38.jpg
Pickering_March-37.jpg

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Needs some tweaking, especially to the pantaloons, but man what a snag from @SpooPoker and an unexpected one at that. My bank account is devastated by the impending commission I hope to one day enlist...assuming Chris deems my plebeian ass worthy.

Respoke Despos suit
YH shirt
Vanda Tie/Square
EB Gatoraides

A5DC2974-71BB-4632-A599-8B113CA16E17.jpeg

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Needs some tweaking, especially to the pantaloons, but man what a snag from @SpooPoker and an unexpected one at that. My bank account is devastated by the impending commission I hope to one day enlist...assuming Chris deems my plebeian ass worthy.

Respoke Despos suit
YH shirt
Vanda Tie/Square
EB Gatoraides

View attachment 1147084

Buy better shirts and pocket squares :(.

1st Step

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

1st Step

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Epicure

Reaction score
View attachment 1146800
I have a wedding at the end of May, already thinking of what to wear. Toying around with this look, I have a solid blue searsucker suit at the tailor, thinking of that solid blue summer suit with the rest of this?
As others have suggested, that's not a wedding appropriate outfit. It looks too much like business wear. Even for a more casual wedding, a striped tie isn't a great choice. You need a either a solid tie or a traditional wedding tie (e.g. PoW or shepherd's check). The tie you're wearing draws far too much attention to itself, because it's so very shiny against the rest of what you're wearing. Contrast is good, but this is dissonant. It clashes with the vest, which with the wide-pick stitching and texture, looks almost like it could be cotton canvas rather than wool, though I assume it is wool. Ditch the vest. Wear the seersucker suit. If you insist on wearing that particular shirt, which also appears to have a micropattern, and is quite flashy, make sure the tie is very simple. If you were to choose a shirt with less obvious texture/pattern, there might be a bit more leeway for pattern in the tie. Lest I've been too forceful with my suggestions, I'll add the conventional caveat: all IMHO. Though I'm really just expanding on what more senior members here are saying. I'm sure there will be some who disagree with me (whether or not they voice their opinion), and plenty who will have the same or similar views as those I've shared. All my advice is intended to be helpful. I hope it can be received that way, and that you end up choosing a fit that looks great, and appropriate to the occasion. I look forward to seeing what you ultimately decide on.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads