• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

txm22

Reaction score
Xpost Friday Challenge.
IMG_20190222_065853~2.jpg

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Friday, and a hint of sunshine, and no chance of rain. Making use of a suit I packed for my trip last month to London.

Suit - Paul Stuart/Phineas Cole
Shirt & cufflinks - Tyrwhitt
Tie - Drake's, via the Armoury, NYC
Braces - Paul Stuart
Pocket square - Brooks Brothers
Shoes - Carmina
Overcoat - Adolfo
Scarf - Harvie & Hudson
Hat - Laird, London

IMG_9291.JPG

IMG_9286.JPG
IMG_9287.JPG
IMG_9288.JPG
IMG_9289.JPG
IMG_9290.JPG

RishaStyle

Reaction score
Namaskar! First, thanks for the photos, reminded me of some great times in your fascinating country. I'd also be curious to know where you are based. These photos need a setting like Jaipur's Rambagh Palace or perhaps the Lake Palace in Udaipur? Well there certainly are a lot of options. Shimla would also be interesting in the right company.

Second, to me this screams for a tie. Aside from going all the way (which seems to be your philosophy) I just find it much more practical. It holds the collar together allowing for neater movement and provides a focal point for attention. Your previous tie knot was perfect for this kind of style actually - bold, standing by itself, proportioned as per the lapels and collar. I've perhaps overused this analogy here but it is like the chimney in old homes. Before electric or gas heating, the chimney was in colder climates the focal point of the living space, towards which the chairs and sofas were turned; once chimneys became cold, empty holes the effect was reversed causing people to try and fill the space with a TV or whatever else they have at hand. Here I get the same impression - where there should be a proud explosion of colour there is only floppy emptiness. It is very much a personal thing but (at least in Asia) when I see bold colours in a SC + square fit, and no tie, I always get the feeling that the person didn't quite have the boldness to go all the way.

OTOH pink shirts are notoriously hard to make work, as it is quite a brutal colour despite its (relatively recent) reputation as a woman's colour (and indeed one of the oldest gentlemen's club in the world, the Leander, focused on the very physical and manly activity of rowing, picked a rather strong pink).

I would love to see you experiment with bow ties.

Namaskar. India is quite fascinating due to its vast cultural diversity. But, in its truest essence, India is a land of seekers.Anyway, thats a topic for another day.

Im based in Mumbai(Bombay). The event was in Hyderabad which is in the state of Telangana. Im an IP lawyer by profession. Coming to your query regarding neckties, im not sure how to respond to that. When i was baby fresh in the bespoke clothing scene(probably 4-5 years ago), i absolutely loved wearing neckties and ended up accumulating a fair amount which were worn quite often. As time passed by, i started to dislike neckties as i started to feel strange wearing them and stuck to only having a pocket square as an accessory. I dont know how to put it but for some strange reason, i have started to enjoy neckties once again and wear them maybe twice a week. Bow tie is something i havent tried before other than at a black tie event but im afraid that they dont suit me and will most likely not fit in with my sense of styling and may not find a place in my wardrobe.

Last edited:

themanfromLisbon

Reaction score
Namaskar. India is quite fascinating due to its vast cultural diversity. But, in its truest essence, India is a land of seekers.Anyway, thats a topic for another day.

Im based in Mumbai(Bombay). The event was in Hyderabad which is in the state of Telangana. Im an IP lawyer by profession. Coming to your query regarding neckties, im not sure how to respond to that. When i was baby fresh in the sartorial clothing scene(probably 4-5 years ago), i absolutely loved wearing neckties and ended up accumulating a fair amount which were worn quite often. As time passed by, i started to dislike neckties as i started to feel strange wearing them and stuck to only having a pocket square as an accessory. I dont know how to put it but for some strange reason, i have started to enjoy neckties once again and wear them maybe twice a week. Bow tie is something i havent tried before other than at a black tie event but im afraid that they dont suit me and will most likely not fit in with my sense of styling and may not find a place in my wardrobe.

Probably, you have the same problem that I have : I have a huge collection of neckties (never disliked it), but I live in a country where the weather turns wearing a tie in a torture much of the time, because 8/9 moths are so hot that if you put a tie (and a jacket) you will be sweating after 10 minutes.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
An earlier worn outfit. Please leave your feedback.

Tie: Vanda fine clothing
Pocket Square: Rubinacci

View attachment 1131558

View attachment 1131559

View attachment 1131560
Looks good. I really like the tie and shirt combo. Unexpected, but nicely paired with the subdued jacket.

I’ll say this once then leave it as many people have mentioned this already and this is a past outfit, but the pocket square explosion is too much. It looks sloppy and a bit desperate for attention IMO. I think the patterns and colors you wear so well are already attention grabbing. The pocket square can take a back seat. Also, the colors of the square are evident enough without it waterfalling out of your chest pocket. No need to exaggerate it.

RishaStyle

Reaction score
Looks good. I really like the tie and shirt combo. Unexpected, but nicely paired with the subdued jacket.

I’ll say this once then leave it as many people have mentioned this already and this is a past outfit, but the pocket square explosion is too much. It looks sloppy and a bit desperate for attention IMO. I think the patterns and colors you wear so well are already attention grabbing. The pocket square can take a back seat. Also, the colors of the square are evident enough without it waterfalling out of your chest pocket. No need to exaggerate it.
Thanks for this feedback. I shall definitely keep this in mind the next time im putting on a square. Dont you think the square looks more exaggerated as these are close up shots.

Last edited:

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

RishaStyle

Reaction score
Not a fan of the shirt, but that's a matter of preference more anything. Do less with the pocket square. It looks a bit silly, and, to me, detracts from a damn good (shirt notwithstanding) outfit.
Thanks for this. Will try to do less with the square next time.

Don L

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agree on the square. The outfit stands beautifully on its own so a toned down square or no square would be my preference

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads