1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, May 21, 2014.

1. Eli Curt

Eli Curt Distinguished Member

Thanks!

I appreciated the ear flaps today. I generally walk outside about 30 minutes in the morning, 20 minutes around noon and another 30 minutes during the evening commute. I do spend time outside and appreciated the ear flaps today - I have a bit of a cold right now. Actually, this is my less warm of two heavier fur hats I have in rotation. The other one leads to overheating in 5 minutes anything above 35*.

Also, a fedora/homburg is technically also fur, and I'll wear those up to 70* or so.

2. Roycru

Roycru Distinguished Member

For fans of Johnstons Of Elgin, At Ye Olde King's Head on a very cold day a few years ago wearing a Johnstons Of Elgin scarf as well as a Dunn & Co (very heavy) Harris Tweed jacket and yellow doeskin vest all of which sort of coordinates with the colors of the Chicken Tikka Masala and Naan.

P1010858.JPG.JPG

3. RishaStyle

RishaStyle Well-Known Member

@Epicure I really do appreciate your comment and the advice offered by each person here. However, for the sake of knowledge and better dressing, i would really appreciate if you could lay down the additional factors at play apart from cultural considersations, place of work, occassion.

@Thrift Vader Appreciate your kind words. Thank you.

4. Epicure

Epicure Senior Member

One of the important contextual factors will be whether you intend to wear your outfit in a business or social setting, and within those two broad categories, it might then be important to know what type of business or social setting applies. How formal? If a social occasion, is it an everyday outing or a festive occasion?

The climate might also be important. If it's bright and sunny, opting for brighter colours will look more at home than when it's an overcast and drab day, regardless of the temperature outside. If it's hot in addition to being bright and sunny, I find that choosing less saturated colours can be good to project an image of calm and cool, against the hot and intense environmental conditions, should that be desirable. These natural environmental considerations may hold more or less influence depending on just how much time you might spend inside and outside, and whether you care about dressing with any reference or harmony to the climate and season (and temperature). It's probably not as simplistic as to say India doesn't have the four distinct seasons that are known in Europe, North America and some other parts of the world. I imagine there are parts of India where there is more diversity than simply wet and dry, but it's not something I presume to really know about.

5. Epicure

Epicure Senior Member

My two cents:

Keep everything but the belt, pocket square and scarf.

As some suggestions for a square, go with something tonal, or otherwise just a white linen in this context. Your pants have belt loops, so I won't tell you to discard the belt, but I would suggest one with a simpler buckle. For the scarf, you presumably need something warm and hefty, noting that to be wearing the hat and coat, the conditions must be quite frigid. I own a wool paisley scarf that is reversible from Gentleman's Gazette, and any of the paisley scarves there would look the money with your featured fit. Such a design in a warmer iteration (weight or materials) would be ideal. The same vendor has cashmere and alpaca versions that look nice. But in terms of design best suited to the dramatic presence your hat affords, you need an opulent looking scarf to stand up to that. Solids and checks (or stripes) won't quite cut it here, IMHO.

6. Eli Curt

Eli Curt Distinguished Member

I would like to humbly request some visual references of these opulent scarves you describe.

7. Ebichuman

Ebichuman Senior Member

8. Epicure

Epicure Senior Member

https://www.gentlemansgazette.com/s...d-blue-silk-wool-motif-paisley-fort-belvedere

https://www.gentlemansgazette.com/s...ue-red-silk-wool-paisley-check-fort-belvedere

https://www.gentlemansgazette.com/s...llow-silk-wool-paisley-stripes-fort-belvedere

https://www.gentlemansgazette.com/s...blue-silk-wool-paisley-stripes-fort-belvedere

I own the one I've linked to 3rd down the list. As I said, maybe not heavy/warm enough when it's super cold, but the design shows the sort of thing that should work well with the pictured outfit, while also being vesatile. It works well for both CBD looks and with tweed. Use the striped side for more casual fits. It's two scarves in one, essentially. Other than this, you could hit up @upr_crust for suggestions. He owns and wears lovely scarves. He may be happy to point you in the right direction.

9. RishaStyle

RishaStyle Well-Known Member

Wearing this with mid grey trousers. Its a tad bit hot here even for lightweight cashmere.

7A73C42F-AA90-4EFA-950E-08D8B66DA4FC.jpeg

10. An Acute Style

An Acute Style Distinguished Member

This is dope. I’m not sure what if any feedback to give. After seeing three of your outfits, it appears this is your “thing”. You have some remarkable pieces. I’d love to see some full body shots.

11. upr_crust

upr_crust Distinguished Member

Thank you, Epicure, for the compliment.

As for Eli Curt's need for scarves at an attractive price point, he could do worse than to take himself to every New Yorker's secret weapon when it comes to discount shopping - Century 21. (For those of you who do not live in the metro NYC area, Century 21 is rather like Nordstrom Rack on steroids - certainly the main branch is six floors of a large lower Manhattan office building.) The last time that I was in Century - last weekend - scarves were still on sale, and I've bought a few cashmere ones there - one, a double-sided Johnstons of Elgin, is a mainstay for my current husband.

However, please note, since I am advanced in years, I was lucky enough to visit London in 1984 and 1985, when the dollar was abnormally strong against the pound, and my first husband and I found Westaway & Westaway, a discount woolen goods store (long since defunct) near the British Museum. We both stocked up on scarves during both trips, and I wear them to this very day (my own, and the ones left to me by my first husband on his death, some nine and a half years ago).

12. bernoulli

bernoulli Senior Member

I think I can't do stripped ties. I never cared much for then and so far have been unable to make it work in the rare occasions I do try to incorporate them. Will just ditch them altogether.

13. Epicure

Epicure Senior Member

Thanks for sharing that with us, Señor Crust.

14. An Acute Style

An Acute Style Distinguished Member

Stop it. Everyone can pull off a striped tie. I like this one. I think the top half of your outfit looks good. I just think gray trousers and black shoes would be a better choice for the bottom half

15. Riva

Riva Distinguished Member

I like your combos. Like a breath of fresh air into a grey musty room. And very fitting for where you're at.