• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Didn't shoot a full-length (sorry Noodles), but I wore this with tan chinos (not quite enough contrast) and brown AE Strands.

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That blue and white striped tie is one of yours mate, by way of Ludlows.:)

Good to hear. Unfortunately I don't hear much from Richard at Ludlows anymore for one reason or another, not really sure why. They haven't placed an order for almost a year now and I have sent a few emails with no response, bit of a shame. But I am actively looking for another retailer down there at the moment so hopefully in the next 6 months something will come of that.

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Here's my challenge entry.

tumblr_nazm3wZWJ21trn75yo1_500.jpg

Sharp!

spectre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Kulata has been funny as hell in his commentaries. Lol

Yes, his wit is very original and impressive. However I have got a lot more from the constructive reactions from ridethecliche, academic and henry carter. Their comments have expanded my view of the bone jacket and pointed me to its most useful purpose - before I had a chance to discover that for myself, as the posting you saw was the first time I had it on.
At my age I can't produce the cartoonish drop 12 shape preferred by the body-conscious, although I applaud their pursuit of a healthy lifestyle. I have to work with what my frame has deteriorated to, but I remain content with my tailors and our choices together.

spectre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Good to hear. Unfortunately I don't hear much from Richard at Ludlows anymore for one reason or another, not really sure why. They haven't placed an order for almost a year now and I have sent a few emails with no response, bit of a shame. But I am actively looking for another retailer down there at the moment so hopefully in the next 6 months something will come of that.

I lunch with him and Gerry regularly and I know he has been swamped with legal wear orders for a long time, so has had to steer away from shirts, suits and ties. In fact he is so flat out our lunch regimen is starting to suffer
You will know that Double Monk and Patrick Johnson are using Drakes and others for ties but can I suggest Johnson's spin off store The Suit Shop run by Matt in the city. This is where they produce their MTM line at an entry level price. I'm not trying to denigrate your product but it might fit better with their orders there than the ties approaching $200 at the main shops.
Just a thought.

kulata

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Don't see why.

EDIT: I think the issue is I prefer natural shoulders (although this jacket is beyond that) and you like Huntsman-style built up shoulders.
There was a guy on here some years ago called Whoopee who had his suits made with shoulders which looked like the roof of a 1964 Mercedes 230SL - you would have loved him.
It's not about the shoulder expression (I also prefer soft shoulders especially for odd jackets), it's more about the fit of the jacket. It really doesn't have much shape and of course this could all just be a bad picture as you alluded.

Last edited:

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't recall seeing a tie hierarchy thread, now u mention it, altho HC ties have IME been too varied to be lumped in together in a hierarchy. I have a 7 fold repp from Jason I absolutely love for its materials and construction, altho not all are that quality. Of the others I've tried I'd put Vanda, Cappelli and Drakes about on par, Hober is close to them, and so on down. Hober is ace for construction. I wish he'd get a better range of cloths e.g. his madders, wools, challis are 'so so' in design, altho IMO but he's good on staples like grenadines and repps. For challis and madder Cappelli can't be beaten IMO, Vanda is supreme at lite weight Summery confections, and Drakes for fancy 'pretty' ties. I think their quality may have dropped over the last couple seasons. Heven't tried Shibumi or Kiton or Borelli or Tie Your Tie.

Last edited:

spectre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's not about the shoulder expression (I also prefer soft shoulders especially for odd jackets), it's more about the fit of the jacket. It really doesn't have much shape and of course this could all just be a bad picture as you alluded.

You're right it has no shape because it is without structure of any sort. Like a heavy shirt if you will. It has a couple of inside pockets and lined sleeves for ease but nothing else so it sort of "flops".
But it was designed for this and has turned out well. These things are very popular now in Italy but it does look shapeless. Fabulous to wear but limited to heavier fabrics whose heft alone gives it its only outline.

spectre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pliny - I'd add Viola Milano to your tie list. Their products are superbly made, better than Drakes and Cappelli IMO, although I have both those in my collection and love them as well.

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Pliny - I'd add Viola Milano to your tie list. Their products are superbly made, better than Drakes and Cappelli IMO, although I have both those in my collection and love them as well.

And they're Dutch! ;)

gazman70k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wet and miserable in Sydney. Great tweed weather!

Suit: Bespoke from Florence.
Fabric: London Lounge Agnelli Tweed.
Shirt: Bespoke from Naples
Tie: Vanda Fine Clothing
Scarf: Loro Piana
Socks: From the Armoury
Shoes: Il Micio, Florence (wrong shoes for the weather... :angry:)

Breakfast with NabilMust (great watch!)

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you-- it is indeed a very dark, practically midnight blue. As for the frames, they are the most Cary-grant esque that I own, gray in color
1f60a.png

Fantastic, Mr. Foxx. Is that a Midnight Blue tux?

GrensonMan

Reaction score
@gazman70k impeccable fit and style. One of the best I have seen here IMHO.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads