• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think my school uniform came from a local Department Store, which is now a Debenhams.

Actually, I worked there for a short time and witnessed the rot just starting to set in. The old shop was called Bond's and was just coming under Debenhams' influence with a move to central buying. It was a source of great frustration for the longer-standing staff as well as for many customers, such as an old gentleman that I once served who wanted 'a sea island cotton vest long enough to cover m'thing' :-D After taking his measurements I was, on this occasion, able to oblige from some old stock we kept out the back!

Women would come in and buy white hankies for their husbands - but not until the quality and strength had been fully tested by pulling and tugging at them.

Those days now seem like ancient history...but certainly helped to cement my growing interest in this hobby / infatuation.

Last edited:

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stealing the idea of the pose from @Cleav but with good reason. I am celebrating my most recent book, just published by MIT Press. A lot of work that paid off handsomely; couldn't be happier.

View attachment 1123926 View attachment 1123922

View attachment 1123923

Congratulations, Bernoulli, on the publication of your book, and on your most handsome ensemble for today. I was in Ralph Lauren's mansion the other day, and I tried on a suit in a very similar fabric to yours of today, save for the fact that it was a double-breasted suit with a double-breasted waistcoat. The jacket fit perfectly, the waistcoat was dangerously tight, and one couldn't see the waistcoat when the jacket was buttoned - a fashion anomaly. Needless to say, it was not purchased - at least not yet :).

For the record, I do note that you've stolen today's pose from Claghorn, not Cleav - Clags is the literary one around here.

It's a cold and overcast day here in NYC - perfect for three pieces in flannel. Included in today's posting is a photo of my one pair of cowboy boots, after their most excellent shining by a young gentleman, Sam, at the Nordstrom's on West 57th St., NYC. I had passed through the shoe department Friday evening, and the shoeshiner engaged me in conversation, and said that he'd like a challenge. As I hadn't worn the boots in years, and had taken good care of them previously, I thought that it presented enough of a challenge to his skills, which have turned out to be considerable.

Suit - Joseph Abboud
Shirt - Brooks Brothers MTM
Tie - Andrew's Ties
Cufflinks - Metropolitan Museum of Art
Pocket square - vintage Christian Dior
Shoes - Paul Stuart house brand
Boots - Charlie One Horse
Overcoat - Brooks Brothers
Scarf - Frank Stella, NYC
Hat - Selentino

IMG_9247.JPG

IMG_9241.JPG
IMG_9242.JPG
IMG_9243.JPG
IMG_9244.JPG
IMG_9245.JPG
IMG_9246.JPG

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure this is the right analogy. I found form and composition hopelessly boring as a child and aced all my Bach chorale composition exercises by listening to a lot of Bach until I internalised his language and reproduced it instinctively. I'd wager most decent performers are not musicologists and conversely the compositions of many famous professors are usually inaudible.

Haha....At what age did you "internalize" the language of Bach? Makes one wonder what these "composition exercises" entailed, and by what metrics you think (were told?) you "aced" them. Let me guess, you're also the guy who walks through the gallery saying "...well I could do that..."? Your last point is sound, though...

karting

Reaction score
Excellent post as always, @upr_crust. I did have a question about your waistcoat. Is it common to have different sized lapels on a DB waistcoat or was that a stylistic choice? (Or are my eyes terrible...)

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haha....At what age did you "internalize" the language of Bach? Makes one wonder what these "composition exercises" entailed, and by what metrics you think (were told?) you "aced" them. Let me guess, you're also the guy who walks through the gallery saying "...well I could do that..."? Your last point is sound, though...
Spoilering the off topic...
That art gallery comment is a bit unwarranted to a stranger, no? Would you make that kind of comment in person? I don't understand this sudden urge to make it personal behind the comfortable shield of anonymity. FWIW the main reason I did not eventually go pro is that I couldn't afford it. Music was my life and identity for a long time, and a good chunk of my "Facebook friends" (for lack of a better way to describe it) are now professional conductors, players, opera singers, etc. including the odd composer.

As for the age, probably around 12, when I wrote a Bach-y string quartet then that did alright with the string profs, although the Bach chorale writing was much later, for A-level (British SATs) and the judging consisted of submitting the written chorales to the teacher who tried his best to shoot holes in them and in my case usually failed to find (technical) fault. Helped that I sang three times a week; although the English Hymnal is not quite the Mass in B it is sufficient to get it after a while. It's not a particularly unique skill as I spotted a few friends (also choristers) doing the same thing and would advise any students reading this to grab the complete Chorales on IMSLP and just play through them until it sticks...

Thinking back about it, I wonder if Bach himself thought much about theory or just winged it, in the same way that I doubt the best dressers here think "well, gold is in this place on the colour wheel and navy there, so maybe this needs the triangle completed with pink" or whatever.

bernoulli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@upr_crust thanks for the correction. Already edited my original post. Confused the CLs it seems. As for the grey windowpane, I also had a DB jacket made with the same fabric, but no DB vest. Maybe I should have, so I could use it with the regular jacket. Oh well...

If the 3-piece suit is on sale at Ralph's mansion, I would gladly put on a wager that it is going to end up in your closet.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Spoilering the off topic...
That art gallery comment is a bit unwarranted to a stranger, no? Would you make that kind of comment in person? I don't understand this sudden urge to make it personal behind the comfortable shield of anonymity. FWIW the main reason I did not eventually go pro is that I couldn't afford it. Music was my life and identity for a long time, and a good chunk of my "Facebook friends" (for lack of a better way to describe it) are now professional conductors, players, opera singers, etc. including the odd composer.

As for the age, probably around 12, when I wrote a Bach-y string quartet then that did alright with the string profs, although the Bach chorale writing was much later, for A-level (British SATs) and the judging consisted of submitting the written chorales to the teacher who tried his best to shoot holes in them and in my case usually failed to find (technical) fault. Helped that I sang three times a week; although the English Hymnal is not quite the Mass in B it is sufficient to get it after a while. It's not a particularly unique skill as I spotted a few friends (also choristers) doing the same thing and would advise any students reading this to grab the complete Chorales on IMSLP and just play through them until it sticks...

Thinking back about it, I wonder if Bach himself thought much about theory or just winged it, in the same way that I doubt the best dressers here think "well, gold is in this place on the colour wheel and navy there, so maybe this needs the triangle completed with pink" or whatever.

Sorry you took the dig as anything more than good fun, as on a forum like this one, you often don't know the professions of those with whom you are speaking. So, your pronouncement just struck me as funny. Apologies.

As for Bach "winging it": Nope. Sorry. The Well-Tempered Clavier alone is proof of an extended formal knowledge of various tuning systems in relation to the physics of sound and the nature of acoustic resonance. Bach wasn't simply writing aesthetically within a style/language, he understood the physics of sound (in a Pythagoras-on-through-Aristotle-etc.. sense)

The music abstraction notwithstanding, it's your main point I disagree with. I would bet the best dressers here absolutely think deeply and analytically about how they get dressed (yes, color wheel and all...).

Last edited:

Eli Curt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This looks great. I often like the top of your outfits, but find your pant and shoe choices incongruent. I really hope you’re wearing a suit, but I doubt it.

I believe it's a SC. I was wondering the same thing as it looks a bit worsted to be a sc.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads