1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, May 21, 2014.

1. upr_crust

upr_crust Distinguished Member

Congratulations, Bernoulli, on the publication of your book, and on your most handsome ensemble for today. I was in Ralph Lauren's mansion the other day, and I tried on a suit in a very similar fabric to yours of today, save for the fact that it was a double-breasted suit with a double-breasted waistcoat. The jacket fit perfectly, the waistcoat was dangerously tight, and one couldn't see the waistcoat when the jacket was buttoned - a fashion anomaly. Needless to say, it was not purchased - at least not yet :).

For the record, I do note that you've stolen today's pose from Claghorn, not Cleav - Clags is the literary one around here.

It's a cold and overcast day here in NYC - perfect for three pieces in flannel. Included in today's posting is a photo of my one pair of cowboy boots, after their most excellent shining by a young gentleman, Sam, at the Nordstrom's on West 57th St., NYC. I had passed through the shoe department Friday evening, and the shoeshiner engaged me in conversation, and said that he'd like a challenge. As I hadn't worn the boots in years, and had taken good care of them previously, I thought that it presented enough of a challenge to his skills, which have turned out to be considerable.

Suit - Joseph Abboud
    Shirt - Brooks Brothers MTM
    Tie - Andrew's Ties
    Cufflinks - Metropolitan Museum of Art
    Pocket square - vintage Christian Dior
    Shoes - Paul Stuart house brand
    Boots - Charlie One Horse
    Overcoat - Brooks Brothers
    Scarf - Frank Stella, NYC
    Hat - Selentino

IMG_9247.JPG

IMG_9241.JPG IMG_9242.JPG IMG_9243.JPG IMG_9244.JPG IMG_9245.JPG IMG_9246.JPG

2. An Acute Style

An Acute Style Distinguished Member

Attempt 3 for the Friday challenge. Worn last Friday.

B3CAB741-07EB-48C9-98E7-E6E996EAAB2E.jpeg
    502FD420-E2BB-438F-A91C-17CF9525A41B.jpeg
    CF5C1A15-3539-4B08-A3E4-D3E0FDD1DFE6.jpeg
    4C2BB079-D91B-471B-9069-77A815DA2E9A.jpeg
    71F4F416-9D69-41D7-9717-2511F2E73D22.jpeg 7CD2FADF-8447-4775-9F50-50D6209A151D.jpeg

3. JJ Katz

JJ Katz Senior Member

4. themanfromLisbon

themanfromLisbon Well-Known Member

11D246E0-8D90-4A06-B75E-1E5E781C8534.jpeg 3E9E2918-0569-4C17-8FEA-0E6C578997D2.jpeg 0EC66D2D-5059-4782-9BF9-DA6D203E5550.jpeg 901BC4BB-58E1-4CEA-8D44-5D1D98094141.jpeg 6871C4EC-67A8-45F9-8984-68E0E210278B.jpeg A sunny day with 17°c. So, not need of very warm things
    Herringbone blazer - Dielmar
    Shirt and trousers - Hackett of London
    Tie - Drake’s
    OTC Socks - Falke
    Loafers - Crockett&Jones

5. 9thsymph

9thsymph Senior Member

Haha....At what age did you "internalize" the language of Bach? Makes one wonder what these "composition exercises" entailed, and by what metrics you think (were told?) you "aced" them. Let me guess, you're also the guy who walks through the gallery saying "...well I could do that..."? Your last point is sound, though...

6. karting

karting Member

Excellent post as always, @upr_crust. I did have a question about your waistcoat. Is it common to have different sized lapels on a DB waistcoat or was that a stylistic choice? (Or are my eyes terrible...)

7. am55

am55 Distinguished Member

Spoilering the off topic...
    That art gallery comment is a bit unwarranted to a stranger, no? Would you make that kind of comment in person? I don't understand this sudden urge to make it personal behind the comfortable shield of anonymity. FWIW the main reason I did not eventually go pro is that I couldn't afford it. Music was my life and identity for a long time, and a good chunk of my "Facebook friends" (for lack of a better way to describe it) are now professional conductors, players, opera singers, etc. including the odd composer.

As for the age, probably around 12, when I wrote a Bach-y string quartet then that did alright with the string profs, although the Bach chorale writing was much later, for A-level (British SATs) and the judging consisted of submitting the written chorales to the teacher who tried his best to shoot holes in them and in my case usually failed to find (technical) fault. Helped that I sang three times a week; although the English Hymnal is not quite the Mass in B it is sufficient to get it after a while. It's not a particularly unique skill as I spotted a few friends (also choristers) doing the same thing and would advise any students reading this to grab the complete Chorales on IMSLP and just play through them until it sticks...

Thinking back about it, I wonder if Bach himself thought much about theory or just winged it, in the same way that I doubt the best dressers here think "well, gold is in this place on the colour wheel and navy there, so maybe this needs the triangle completed with pink" or whatever.

8. bernoulli

bernoulli Senior Member

@upr_crust thanks for the correction. Already edited my original post. Confused the CLs it seems. As for the grey windowpane, I also had a DB jacket made with the same fabric, but no DB vest. Maybe I should have, so I could use it with the regular jacket. Oh well...

If the 3-piece suit is on sale at Ralph's mansion, I would gladly put on a wager that it is going to end up in your closet.

9. 9thsymph

9thsymph Senior Member

Sorry you took the dig as anything more than good fun, as on a forum like this one, you often don't know the professions of those with whom you are speaking. So, your pronouncement just struck me as funny. Apologies.

As for Bach "winging it": Nope. Sorry. The Well-Tempered Clavier alone is proof of an extended formal knowledge of various tuning systems in relation to the physics of sound and the nature of acoustic resonance. Bach wasn't simply writing aesthetically within a style/language, he understood the physics of sound (in a Pythagoras-on-through-Aristotle-etc.. sense)

The music abstraction notwithstanding, it's your main point I disagree with. I would bet the best dressers here absolutely think deeply and analytically about how they get dressed (yes, color wheel and all...).

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019 at 9:57 AM

10. Kappelan

Kappelan Distinguished Member

11. An Acute Style

An Acute Style Distinguished Member

This looks great. I often like the top of your outfits, but find your pant and shoe choices incongruent. I really hope you’re wearing a suit, but I doubt it.

12. Eli Curt

Eli Curt Senior Member

I believe it's a SC. I was wondering the same thing as it looks a bit worsted to be a sc.

13. Michael81

Michael81 Senior Member

14. Kappelan

You know me very well. SC it is :)

15. Kappelan

Sorry boys

[​IMG]