• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Papperskatt

Reaction score
Astute observation, Europrep. I have a similar problem with soft shoulders, although in my case it's not because of wide hips (mine are narrow) but because of my big head.

In fact I have quite broad shoulders (structurally speaking - my deltoids are somewhat puny), but my noggin is so gignormous that it makes them look narrow.

Here's said noggin overwhelming the unstructured shoulders on a Barena jacket -

I really want to like that jacket but somehow I suspect it makes me look like the Little Tramp. A structured shoulder generally works better for me -

I actually think that the Barena jacket suits you better than the other two examples. I like big heads, I have one myself, and really like the narrow shoulders of the 1910s and 20s.

Small-headed people scare me. (true)

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Astute observation, Europrep. I have a similar problem with soft shoulders, although in my case it's not because of wide hips (mine are narrow) but because of my big head.

In fact I have quite broad shoulders (structurally speaking - my deltoids are somewhat puny), but my noggin is so gignormous that it makes them look narrow.

I think that first jacket looks better on you. It makes you look younger for lack of a better term.

spectre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's a combination of my wide stance and my broad hips contributing to this.

Have you considered cosmetic surgery?

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I really want to like that jacket but somehow I suspect it makes me look like the Little Tramp. A structured shoulder generally works better for me -

(Sorry for all the nightmarish noggin shots but they are needed in order to get my point across.)

At the other end of the spectrum, I also feel that unstructured shoulders look bad on gentlemen with powerfully built shoulders. They drape too tightly and give off a slightly narcissistic vibe.

BTW, pear shape or not, I like tchoy's suit.
I'm really not feeling the shirt collars here. The collar on the green shirt is too small. It doesn't sit under your jacket collar and it doesn't look proportional with the tie knot. These are both my personal preferences. The collar on the white shirt is all curled up.
confused.gif
Just saying.

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Could use some more collar roll, but certainly nice imo.

thanks man
smile.gif

Button down with a tie; brown, blue and grey.

tumblr_nau6rwNsa21trn75yo1_500.jpg

Keep posting P/P - your fits r cracking. Great use of a BD- u might even convert some of the Americans.

re: Tchoy's jackets: I'm not speaking for you Tony, but I get similar comments, and it's because I've put on weight around the middle, making me pear shaped. I am thinking of trying this Paleo diet as there are Paleo cafes everywhere now.

ShawnBC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oh look. An OBDC. With a tie. That looks awesome.

Whodathunkit?

Last edited:

tchoy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There is a slight "pear" appearance. I think @tchoy looks better with an extended shoulder with a bit of structure. I say this as I sit in my glass house. After trying multiple softer and closer cut shoulders, I am realizing it does not work well for my body shape. I benefit from a bit of an extended shoulder. Expensive lessons learned. It wasn't until I saw myself in photos that I realized I had a "pear" shape with the softer shoulders. To me, the sportcoat fits tchoy better than the suit in the below two pics. It appears the sportcoat has a more extended shoulder.
It's a very good observation I do prefer the shoulders to have a slight extension to counter my wider hips. The two coats are made by different tailors, you are correct the first one do have slight padding and extension while the suit jacket has zero padding at all. It's a learning curve looking for what works for your body type. I agreed entirely it's a expensive lessons learned.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads