HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, May 21, 2014.

1. SeaJen

SeaJen Senior member

Back in the classroom for the first time in a while today so only time for the "longing to be outside" shot, I'm afraid. The bright sunlight really draws out the texture of the seersucker - not really that noticeable IRL, for better or worse, depending on your preferences.

[​IMG]

2. An Acute Style

An Acute Style Senior member

It could just be the angle, but this makes you look wide on the bottom and narrow up top.

3. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

i feel so fancy
    [​IMG]

4. spectre

spectre Senior member

Very nice but I prefer a three roll two jacket and less clumpy shoes. You are forgiven as your dog is included in the pic.

5. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

That isn't a hard 3 is it?

Side note: The tailor I use was confused by my 3-roll-2. I was like no, this is american trad as it gets. Please don't make it a hard 3.

6. europrep

europrep Senior member

There is a slight "pear" appearance. I think @tchoy looks better with an extended shoulder with a bit of structure. I say this as I sit in my glass house. After trying multiple softer and closer cut shoulders, I am realizing it does not work well for my body shape. I benefit from a bit of an extended shoulder. Expensive lessons learned. It wasn't until I saw myself in photos that I realized I had a "pear" shape with the softer shoulders.

To me, the sportcoat fits tchoy better than the suit in the below two pics. It appears the sportcoat has a more extended shoulder.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

I think he could also benefit from jackets with closed quarters ala gmmcl.

8. EFV

EFV Senior member Dubiously Honored

This jacket used to have a softer roll, but the damned dry cleaner pressed the lapels to a hard three. I've tried to iron them into a roll again, but I really need a heavier iron for this. As for the clumpy shoes, I agree, but they're my only pair of black oxfords (Church's). I bought them (quite overpriced) before joining SF.

9. tchoy

tchoy Senior member

It's a combination of my wide stance and my broad hips contributing to this.

10. merick

merick Well-Known Member

11. davesmith

davesmith Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

12. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

:cheers:
    Could use some more collar roll, but certainly nice imo.

13. upr_crust

upr_crust Senior member

The fact that your suit originally was a 3 roll to 2 explains why the lapels are as wide as they appear (the hard 3-button suits of the 90's and the early 00's normally had smaller lapels than the suit in your photo), and a lower buttoning stance usually is more flattering to all but the tallest of men (and you're not precisely short, judging from your photos).

As for Church's, well-made, but as you note, clumpy (and with Prada as an owner, most likely to remain that way). For that money, I'll take C & J, but, in your case, a matter of live and learn.

14. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

Astute observation, Europrep. I have a similar problem with soft shoulders, although in my case it's not because of wide hips (mine are narrow) but because of my big head.

In fact I have quite broad shoulders (structurally speaking - my deltoids are somewhat puny), but my noggin is so gignormous that it makes them look narrow.

Here's said noggin overwhelming the unstructured shoulders on a Barena jacket -

[​IMG]

I really want to like that jacket but somehow I suspect it makes me look like the Little Tramp. A structured shoulder generally works better for me -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(Sorry for all the nightmarish noggin shots but they are needed in order to get my point across.)

At the other end of the spectrum, I also feel that unstructured shoulders look bad on gentlemen with powerfully built shoulders. They drape too tightly and give off a slightly narcissistic vibe.

BTW, pear shape or not, I like tchoy's suit.

15. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

Largely because it's too short, though. The shoulders don't help, but the real issue is that it's too tight and too short.