• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pliny - I despise all bankers and politicians but I am an equal opportunity hater, I don't take sides.

nice to find a journalist who at least professes objectivity
satisfied.gif

I wore blue every single day this week in honor of the challenge
happy.gif

Polo jacket
Kamakura OCBD
Polo tie
J.Crew pantaloons
Meermin dub-monks

classic. I really like that tie.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is your picture so you tell me if you want me to stop using it and delete my post.
It was just such a memorable picture that I just cannot forget. LOL
My apologies.
I don't mind.
biggrin.gif

Tip toed over the line again have I? Next time I'll make sure to say something like "those colours are perfect for a sunny day."
No, not at all. I do wear bright colors on occasion, but I do keep it simple sometimes. I'd much rather you say you really don't like my outfit or the colors don't work well together as opposed to asking a question that is easily answerable based on a post I made the previous day. In general, say what you like. I teach high school for a living. My skin is pretty thick.

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If we could only pick fits from one another's wardrobes - and just for the sake of argument pretend we're all the same size - I'd love to see what you'd put together from Spectre's. I hope I'm not coming across as condescending. I really think I'd learn a lot if some of the posters here tried my wardrobe.

I like your one or two color fits such as the one you posted earlier in the week. + one of the dialed-back shots from Detroit. That one was very nice.

Last edited:

spectre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I need time to post more but I think that's a very interesting idea.
Sorry if any sarcasm offends, it's really not meant to, just our way a bit downunder.
Re a journalist professing objectivity, in the case of bankers and politicians (and major corporations in many cases), yes they are generally all detestable. But it is difficult for journalists to be truly objective and I don't think they really should be. They report what they learn and it is inevitable they will have an opinion.
We are the whipping boys but to be hated by politicians worldwide is a tremendous achievement in my view.
To be liked by them is not what you want

Monkeyface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pliny - I despise all bankers and politicians but I am an equal opportunity hater, I don't take sides.

There are quite a few of bankers on here, so you might not want to paint everyone with the same brush. Most bankers simply advise companies if they want to merge with or take over another company on the M&A side. On the sales and trading side they help companies/governments raise money through debt or equity and subsequently make sure there's a market in those securities, so that governments, pension funds, insurance companies and so on can match their assets with their liabilities, so that when the time comes for you to enjoy your pension they should have at least matched inflation. Or do you hate getting a pension too?

Yes, there was a bad culture from the early 90s to the late 2000s, but most of those people have been fired by now. Banks employ less than 20% of the people they employed in 2007. There are much, much tighter controls right now, and the new generation (my generation) has a very different mentality from the baby boomers.

Last edited:

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are quite a bit of bankers on here, so you might not want to paint everyone with the same brush. [...]

You may have noticed that that is kind of spectre's signature style
peepwall[1].gif

Monkeyface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rather "quite a few", unless you mean they come bite-sized already, which wouldn't be an unfair assumption or suggestion.
wink.gif
j/k.

Thank you, I really appreciate it. Little mistakes like these keep me from being fluent in English. I've never been good at writing, even in my native language, so it's twice as hard in English. Luckily, my job only deals with numbers and spoken words.

DeSense

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thank you, I really appreciate it. Little mistakes like these keep me from being fluent in English. I've never been good at writing, even in my native language, so it's twice as hard in English. Luckily, my job only deals with numbers and spoken words.

Same here, non-native and always happy for someone to tell me where/how to improve my English.
And I could have sworn you were a native speaker. ;)

Last edited:

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As an ex banker I can understand..Monkey face hit it right on as well too!

Are you one of the detestable lot he said were fired?

peepwall[1].gif

chocsosa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you one of the detestable lot he said were fired?

peepwall%5B1%5D.gif
nah.. was not fired..I left back in '06.. you can only live on the edge like that for a couple years (was a banker right out of undergrad for 5 years)..went back to grad school, moved out to Cali, got married and the rest is history..

Last edited:

spectre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There are quite a few of bankers on here, so you might not want to paint everyone with the same brush. Most bankers simply advise companies if they want to merge with or take over another company on the M&A side. On the sales and trading side they help companies/governments raise money through debt or equity and subsequently make sure there's a market in those securities, so that governments, pension funds, insurance companies and so on can match their assets with their liabilities, so that when the time comes for you to enjoy your pension they should have at least matched inflation. Or do you hate getting a pension too?

Yes, there was a bad culture from the early 90s to the late 2000s, but most of those people have been fired by now. Banks employ less than 20% of the people they employed in 2007. There are much, much tighter controls right now, and the new generation (my generation) has a very different mentality from the baby boomers. 

You're right. I need to be specific. I am talking about the bankers and brokers on Wall St whose astounding greed brought about the GFC of 2008 and just about wrecked the world's economy.
Weren't they punished by a Federal Govt bailout and several of their leaders given key posts in the Obama administration?

There might be quite a few journalists on this board too but we are certainly all painted with the same brush. No-one ever stops to think of a world without reporters telling people what is happening. Now that would be really spooky.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics