• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wednesday

82E2B5EF-B7A3-4F99-8C1C-469A86D59B9F.jpeg

9EFBCCAB-8ED2-4943-AD50-A39D2072446D.jpeg

E6D98ED5-2C10-4E04-A735-C27C1067D224.jpeg

2FF840FB-E32C-48CC-8A19-374DC08A1AB1.jpeg

bernoulli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New suit and tie. @Alan Bee has mentioned before how one can have a balanced wardrobe without many ties. He is correct. In fact, if one has 15 suits and jackets, 10 ties (but of which a suit or jacket could match with only 5), and 15 pocket squares (but of which a suit and tie ensemble could only match with only 10), one could have a different combination every day for 2 years (750 different simple combinations). And possibilities increase with distinct jackets and trousers. Yes, it takes only a few easily-paired items to create a flexible and non-repetitive wardrobe, but efficiency is not the main motivator of forum members, is it? There are too many dimensions in life in which the minimization of expenditure, and budget constraints, play a major role in decision-making - here I feel we are far from rational **** economicus.

IMG_0054.JPG

IMG_0034.JPG

Last edited:

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New suit and tie. @Alan Bee has mentioned before how one can have a balanced wardrobe without many ties. He is correct. In fact, if one has 15 suits and jackets, 10 ties (but of which a suit or jacket could match with only 5), and 15 pocket squares (but of which a suit and tie ensemble could only match with only 10), one could have a different combination every day for 2 years (750 different simple combinations). And possibilities increase with distinct jackets and trousers. Yes, it takes only a few easily-paired items to create a flexible and non-repetitive wardrobe, but efficiency is not the main motivator of forum members, is it? There are too many dimensions in life in which the minimization of expenditure, and budget constraints, play a major role in decision-making - here I feel we are far from rational **** economicus.

View attachment 1075178

View attachment 1075179

An interesting revelation as I've come to realize as well my wardrobe is now capable of putting out any color combination including lapel pins, formal and casual jacket types, and shoes. Technically we should stop shopping for very similar accessories but Black Friday is coming. Is it time to listen to AB and focuses solely on sale-immune bespokes?

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1075178

View attachment 1075179

I must agree with your observation, in re: the pairing of accessories. For myself, when it comes to accessories, I am much more the magpie than the **** economicus - all brightly colored objects are fair game. Congratulations on your new suit and tie - wear them in good health.

Just ask @upr_crust for a pic of his.

Shameless flatterer ;).

JJ Katz

Reaction score

Perhaps, it's just the pic but the jacket looks on the short side and the lapels are soooo far up.. almost on top of the shoulders...

Given it's such a conservative outfit, overall, why the somewhat fashiony cut?

vriche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1075178

View attachment 1075179
Those shoes are too light for such a dark suit IMO

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads