• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

spectre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I disagree, in this case the fabric can dictate the styling. With heavy tweeds its very appropriate to have patch pockets on the jacket, and Tweed suits always scream a 3pc. I would however, like to see patch pocket styling carry over to the vest as well, but that's just being greedy!

EFV well done.

Hacking pockets are the standard here. I don't think I've ever seen a tweed suit with three patch pockets. As for patches on the vest, I don't think one of those has been made in sartorial history. Welt or maybe flap but to have five or more patch pockets on an outfit would be ridiculous.

jungleroller

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm scared.

CesarRenuan

Reaction score
Hacking pockets are the standard here. I don't think I've ever seen a tweed suit with three patch pockets. As for patches on the vest, I don't think one of those has been made in sartorial history. Welt or maybe flap but to have five or more patch pockets on an outfit would be ridiculous.
Absolutely! Tweed patch pockets are quite common. There has, I may just make one for myself this fall and post it up.

Challenge accepted!

Cheers

SeaJen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hallo folks.

974acfb9a8f680191a85bfaed994a6f7.jpg

b8bf78f6901e5ed418c03d8594efd5ba.jpg

8bdac0c8367c20fd1a07faf5cbdd5fc7.jpg

52a7e508b23dad751743d3bc61290c49.jpg

9c6e5a415d6bf2d652c1611003d67645.jpg

dc5256f0bdbf81f1ba92113cab32bafb.jpg

spectre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Absolutely! Tweed patch pockets are quite common. There has, I may just make one for myself this fall and post it up.

Challenge accepted! 

Cheers

Then you will be the proud owner of a unique outfit.:)

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

EFV - Nice look but it's a little jarring to see the contradiction between the casuality of a three patch pocket jacket with a three piece suit.

Cheers! I've actually taken quite a lot of inspiration from old apparel art (as well as from more contemporary stuff), when 3 piece patch pocket suits were not uncommon. Classically, 3 piece suits were the norm, with flaps, bellows, besom or patch pockets. Patch pockets were often used on jackets/suits made for sporting and other practical uses. I quite liked the idea of putting patch pockets on this suit to underline its practical nature. It's made to be comfortable and versatile (high cut arm holes and high rise pants to name a few of the features made for comfort). The vest is optional for this suit, but serves a practical function where I live; it gets seriously cold here in the winter time. The patch pockets also make the jacket wearable as a sport coat/blazer, and the fabric is casual, so you get more use out of all the pieces of the suit. I often wear these pants as odd pants as well.

Last edited:

jungleroller

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That fabric....drool :slayer:

Last edited:

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I would like to thank Erik for ruining what looked to be a decent shot at this week's challenge. Not.

:D

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Lol, there are so many solid entries this week though (yours included). I wouldn't say anyone's safe.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Your modesty is charming. But let's be real. :)

spectre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cheers! I've actually taken quite a lot of inspiration from old apparel art (as well as from more contemporary stuff), when 3 piece patch pocket suits were not uncommon. Classically, 3 piece suits were the norm, with flaps, bellows, besom or patch pockets. Patch pockets were often used on jackets/suits made for sporting and other practical uses. I quite liked the idea of putting patch pockets on this suit to underline its practical nature. It's made to be comfortable and versatile (high cut arm holes and high rise pants to name a few of the features made for comfort). The vest is optional for this suit, but serves a practical function where I live; it gets seriously cold here in the winter time. The patch pockets also make the jacket wearable as a sport coat/blazer, and the fabric is casual, so you get more use out of all the pieces of the suit. I often wear these pants as odd pants as well.

Yes, put like that I do sort of agree with you (I think patch pockets on a waistcoat is really our of bounds though).
Like you, I am a devotee of Apparel Arts, to the point of having a Laurence Fellows google image search shortcut on my Ipad front page for quick reference.
I guess I just missed the tweed patch pocket three piece set up among all the other wonderful stuff.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads