1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, May 21, 2014.

1. joacimbylehn

joacimbylehn Senior Member

I wouldn't wear a plain linen suit in fall/winter because aside of the cold it would just look too out of place, especially trousers. A patterned one like yours might be slightly more forgiving, but honestly I'd still avoid it. Cotton suits are better suited for year around use, although I'd probably avoid that for winter too.
    If you take isolation out of the equation, I'd say fresco would be the best option for out of season usage, as it doesn't really look seasonal in the same way as linen and cotton does.
    FWIW I wouldn't wear flannel or cords in warmer months of the year either, for the same reasons.

2. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Distinguished Member

I grew up sartorially speaking in the late 60s / early 70s when the concept of wearing tweed and flannel in winter and cotton and linen in summer was not considered at all cool in my circle. We were modernists (suedeheads really) and attracted to smoother fabrics. There was very much a year-round approach to dressing. The same mohair or POW suit you wore in spring / summer was worn in winter with a Crombie coat or classic raincoat over the top. And, if the suit was two-piece a very light botany wool v neck may have been added.

Today I do try embrace more textured fabrics of differing weights and there are three or four suits and a few jackets / trou I don't wear in the heart of winter...but then England has a very temperate climate without (normally) your extremes.

3. Kappelan

Kappelan Distinguished Member

4. Mr Knightley

Today, for the first time, I sported a hat (as opposed to a cap of which I have many), so be gentle, gentlemen!

The Scottish hat on its first outing, but the Cockburn tartan tie was purchased in the Trossachs on holiday in autumn 1984.

Scottish Hat.JPG

Scottish Hat deets.JPG

Scottish Hat feets.JPG

5. Thrift Vader

Thrift Vader Forum Mechanic

^^ you look like the guy in the bar who you could sit and talk for hours about nothing with, and have a good time.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018

6. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Distinguished Member

7. Mr Knightley

If you mean me I hope that I am that man! I have always believed that you should speak lightly of the serious and seriously of the light stuff - much to Mrs K ‘s annoyance...

8. DavidLane

DavidLane Distinguished Member

@Claghorn Great fit. I prefer this shirt collar to some of your others because there is some tie space. The space frames out the tie and in turn your face (chin) better imho.

DL-

9. DiplomaticTies

DiplomaticTies Distinguished Member

446a-vanda26.jpg 446b.jpg 446c.jpg 446d.jpg

Maiden voyage for Vanda escorial.

Jacket: Polo
    Shirt: G Inglese
    Tie: Vanda
    PS: HN White
    Pants: Cucinelli
    Shoes: Alden

10. eddiemczee

eddiemczee Senior Member

The calendar might say it’s Fall, but it definitely doesn’t feel like Fall temperatures.

BD3AD90A-33C5-46DA-BB53-FFD732B71A21.jpeg

11. DiplomaticTies

DiplomaticTies Distinguished Member

It's been fun to watch the big interest for the Friday Challenge - Album Cover. But there is still time for more submissions, the deadline is on Sunday. Time to step-up!

12. Poszetka

Poszetka Senior Member

PoW / Turtle / Mesh Lace

[​IMG]

13. Corso

Corso Senior Member

Agreed

14. Alan Bee

Alan Bee Senior Member

FALL/AUTUMN SERIES (Cont’d).

3-Pc Midnight Blue Suit done in H. Lesser 13oz Hopsack

Alan Bee
    5D387727-3EF7-498E-9128-2D768196003D.jpeg 6727D639-BC0E-476A-BDEE-E8CF1C1D9A99.jpeg 9C464F34-C395-48BF-A6C7-A67478D590D3.jpeg 4B92B8FC-DB62-4B7A-9E8D-665547DA4764.jpeg

15. Aloysius16

Aloysius16 Senior Member