• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Andy_00

Reaction score
Got some new goodies delivered today. Jacket is a part of a bespoke suit from Caracciolo, but I had to get the trousers lengthened. Therefore I wore it with the same Pommella trousers I wore yesterday. Shirt is also new, from Vanacore. Actually every garment except the shoes are Neapolitan.
View attachment 1043550 View attachment 1043553
How do you feel about the jacket button stance?

coldsalmon

Reaction score
@mcobinad since we are talking about split-toe blucher options, what are the details on yours?

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
How do you feel about the jacket button stance?

Never had such a low buttoning point on any jacket before. I must say I quite like it, time will tell if it's just a novelty feeling.

Eli Curt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My grandfather's hat.

20180928_182247.jpg

emptym

Reaction score
Never had such a low buttoning point on any jacket before. I must say I quite like it, time will tell if it's just a novelty feeling.
I like it a lot too. Imo, most jackets have had slightly too high gorges, lapels, and breast pockets the last several years.

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never understood the hand wringing on SF over blucher formality. 95 percent of the public couldn't identify the difference between oxfords and bluchers / derbies and a further 4.9 percent know but don't care. Someone has decided that oxfords are more formal and thus should be the only shoes worn with suits but there's not a lot of clear logic to support this aside from oxfords being slightly the more sleek.
I don't own any oxfords and don't feel in any way like I'm violating some arcane rule when I'm suited and bluchered. There are plenty of more formal bluchers out there that look fine with suits. Look for sleeker lasts and single soles not heavy gunboats. Look for AE Lexington (cap toes) or Clifton (lunch caps) and the like next time you're in the shop. For inspiration i believe your esteemed pal Crusty will on occasion 'violate convention' by wearing bluchers when suited.

I will violate the rule of "no bluchers with suits" when the suit isn't that formal, or when I just feel like it. I have a pair of brown two-eyelet bluchers which are sleek enough to wear with most any suit - which I should remember to wear one of these days.

@upr_crust I have to trust your word on the "cheapness" of your suit, because as you wear it, it doesn't look cheap at all.

Trust me, the suit was cheap, and, up close, the fabric is a bit sleazy, but, for a rainy day, it's a decent imitation of a good suit. The fact that it's plain grey makes it easy to accessorize, which raises its game a bit.

coldsalmon

Reaction score
Great fit on that jacket. I think you would really benefit from better photography though. It's hard to see what the tie is even made of. I know because I have the same problem - now that I switched to an iPhone my pics look like garbage unless the lighting is perfect (see today's pics for example). I have awful problems with my shirt being overexposed, very similar to your photo today.

mcobinad

Reaction score
@mcobinad since we are talking about split-toe blucher options, what are the details on yours?

Hi,

Well mine is Edward Green's most iconic, quintessential Norwegian split toe Dover in black calf. Often imitated, but never duplicated. It is crafted on the #32 last. I can't emphasise enough how practical and ideal this pair is for formal and dressed down occasions. Just wear this pair with whatever floats your boat (attire wise) and you will be just as fine. I read somewhere here members commenting on the purpose/function of this pair but I can't agree more with the position of @Thin White Duke about this shoe. Just purchase and wear if for whatever it is.

I bought this pair simply because I loved the look of it and afterwards, I found a tone of outfits to wear it with (formal or relaxed, I didn't just care). If you like the look of the shoe, buy it and eventually you will always find something in your wardrobe that will go well with it. I feel though that following a set of rules about how certain things need to be done forces us to lose our personality and a touch of our own creative side. For society to be healthy, rules are meant to be broken from time to time to encourage human ingenuity. Honestly, @Thin White Duke could not have made it any clearer! I hope this helps :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads