• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

inq89

Reaction score

Solid look!

Was just thinking a black modern-cut trench coat was missing in my life. I love the traditional Honey color like any other sartorialist, but Black seems to be more sophisticated for professional wear. Seems to subdue the flashy double-breasted style.

You just gave me my next obsession to hunt for. Is this Burberry?

blekit

Reaction score
Today. Yet again an outfit composed entirely with items originating from Poland. This time even to much greater degree, because the shoes have been hand painted by an amazing craftsman from here as well :)
20180926_072744.jpg

20180926_072624.jpg

20180926_072807.jpg

* jacket by Andells Atelier
* Miler Menswear shirt
* tie from Embassy of Elegance
* ps from Poszetka
* Benevento pants
* Yanko X TheShine two eyelet derby

jdrizzy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Solid look!

Was just thinking a black modern-cut trench coat was missing in my life. I love the traditional Honey color like any other sartorialist, but Black seems to be more sophisticated for professional wear. Seems to subdue the flashy double-breasted style.

You just gave me my next obsession to hunt for. Is this Burberry?

Thanks! I think black is a great colour for this trench, and it fits well with my non classic menswear clothing.

It's actually a sample I made using Loro Piana Cotton Rain System fabric.

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

mcobinad

Reaction score
I know, right? I wish folks would actively criticize my awful color combinations more often.

Sir, I think you have a style that mirrors your personality through the accessorisation of your garments. What you should seek at most from knowledgeable members on here is a yardstick to measure
Interaction is difficult when there is nothing left to say!

And as usual I love that you promote the wearing of DB. Not enough of those these days, and they always seem to be a navy odd coat.

Your words are very kind. Thank you!

mcobinad

Reaction score
Ah, but Mcobinad is not you. I struggle for the right metaphor, but imagine if you were on a boxing ring, since I was already down that path with Lawrence. I'd expect your style to be about speed and tactics, many feints, trying not to get hit too much and using range, footwork to achieve points - light, featherweight stuff. Mcobinad's impression of stocky, determined strength (helped to be fair by the structure of his DB) implies a more concentrated, attack-driven style where a haymaker is a valid strategy. Blair being a Kiwi he'd probably just charge and try to take it to the ground ignoring the rules ;) Hence, where a double FIH's solidity and weight works for them, it is less obvious a choice for you. Light touch, dynamism all the way.

I was thinking either Lawrence's unstructured, solidly tied textured choice, or a small but dynamic knot shooting from a relatively structured collar, for which you may have to move away from printed silks and towards something with a bit more structure from the silk itself (e.g. a crunchy satin, or a repp with the fabric running diagonally, not horizontally). Think more Bernard Lanvin if you must stay within conservative business dress. If you want to avoid any untoward Urquhart impressions, you can pick Italian (or American) ties instead, as they are squarer higher than the British (T&A, etc.) style - this may salvage your small collars whilst allowing for the impression of volume high up you seem to enjoy. As for length perhaps it is time to say hello to the likes of Mr Hober? But there is nothing untoward these days about a backblade that is a bit longer...

Either way the best way to know is experimentation. Without wearing the idea for a day or two how can you know if it will work?

I like your metaphorical analysis, full of humour at the same time. Back in the day, it was common practice to scrutinise people's outfits (the way you did) with the view to giving in depth constructive feedback. I know for sure speaking from experience that I got massacred here. I guess the dynamic is different today, it is more like people post outfits, members thumb or ignore and move on. No objective feedback. I wish people like you will stick around for the sole purpose of entertaining and at the same time enlightening us through analogies like yours that have comical relief in them.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like your metaphorical analysis, full of humour at the same time. Back in the day, it was common practice to scrutinise people's outfits (the way you did) with the view to giving in depth constructive feedback. I know for sure speaking from experience that I got massacred here. I guess the dynamic is different today, it is more like people post outfits, members thumb or ignore and move on. No objective feedback. I wish people like you will stick around for the sole purpose of entertaining and at the same time enlightening us through analogies like yours that have comical relief in them.
No, no, I do like your fit very much! In fact it is putting me a couple more inches towards purchasing that purple linen bow tie Poszetka has had on eternal sale for the year or so that I've thought about pulling the trigger (checking: and it's gone. Of course.)

Your response is a great occasion for another derailing of thread, my favourite hobby around these parts. There is another thread from before my time that was resurrected recently, where a number of the regulars hashed out their differences over Neapolitan vs. structured, and attempted the putting together of a rebellious group to promote the wares of Dege and their ilk. And as we all know the unstructured side is much favoured around these parts, so it didn't work out. I never fully understood why this preference is so strong here until some of my friends went abroad, in warm places with a lot of sand and wind and flying metal. There is a certain view of life, an approach to problems, perhaps a set of character traits, that comes with, or should inhabit a structured suit. To not possess it is to be like the officers depicted in the opening of Brideshead Revisited (ah, that teddy...), and we know how that war went for the Empire - and the Singaporeans not only know, but have museums dedicated to it and teach it in their schools gleefully. The gentler souls who do not feel the rage of the speeding freight train through life will naturally favour the thinner canvas and lighter shoulder pads, and wear it much better. Or perhaps I just enjoy the distancing that comes from being reminded to stand upright and behave by my own clothing.

joacimbylehn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was so stressed this morning I forgot to grab the tie. Navy suit with black oxfords sans tie really feels out of place, I must say. But it’s a new suit which I’m very happy.
Also had no clean navy socks :blush:
FE577712-4EAA-4F82-9071-4D662EC2F12D.jpeg 50BD0930-A4C1-48BC-AC00-CA4548CD1C8B.jpeg

coldsalmon

Reaction score
I remember those times. I am trying to take feedback well, even if I disagree with it, because it encourages more feedback. And the whole reason I am here is for feedback. I have had my little hissy fits in response to criticism, of course, and for that I apologise. I feel like frank criticism meets with a hostile response too often these days.
If you want to avoid any untoward Urquhart impressions
You might very well think that.
85C83DF9-133A-4067-AD78-216FE4A6F21E.jpeg

I couldn't possibly comment.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads