• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The rough texture. The "rawness" of the tie compared to the fine and elegant shirt and jacket. If you disagree, that is fine. But I do not understand the point of continuing this conversation when we agree that we disagree.
It's a discussion forum for--you know--discussion.

I like some variation in texture within an outfit (what Foo once described as filling out the texture spectrum). There are some wool or shantung/slubby ties that push past the acceptable edge of the spectrum when worn with a suit. And there are contexts in which a smooth silk tie is called for--where one might get away with a quiet fina grenadine as the most texture acceptable. But when neither of those are the case, I think that some texture in the tie is nice. For the combo in question, the suit is very smooth, the shirt is a chambray with moderate texture, the square is smooth silk, and the tie is the most textured element. I think that they all work together and create more visual interest than would a twill silk or grenadine tie, without the tie being too casual for the rest.

Last edited:

eddiemczee

Reaction score

I like some variation in texture within an outfit (what Foo once described as filling out the texture spectrum). There are some wool or shantung/slubby ties that push past the accept edge of the spectrum when worn with a suit. And there are contexts in which a smooth silk tie is called for--where one might get away with a quiet fina grenadine as the most texture acceptable. But when neither of those are the case, I think that some texture in the tie is nice. For the combo in question, the suit is very smooth, the shirt is a chambray with moderate texture, the square is smooth silk, and the tie is the most textured element. I think that they all work together and create more visual interest than would a twill silk or grenadine tie, without the tie being too casual for the rest.

I agree with this thinking. I have a pretty similar combo in my fit a few posts back. I actually almost wore a grenadine, but I tend to like shantung, tussah, and raw silk in the summer for texture.

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with this thinking. I have a pretty similar combo in my fit a few posts back. I actually almost wore a grenadine, but I tend to like shantung, tussah, and raw silk in the summer for texture.
Same. Nothing wrong with a grenadine but there are other fabrics to add texture.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last Monday blues. Is this jacket too casual for this outfit?

AE84C04E-DA19-4DFF-A40D-89115CF5990B.jpeg

5855644C-F82F-418F-BF3B-A874E3C4F4DE.jpeg

John Wick

Reaction score

I like some variation in texture within an outfit (what Foo once described as filling out the texture spectrum). There are some wool or shantung/slubby ties that push past the acceptable edge of the spectrum when worn with a suit. And there are contexts in which a smooth silk tie is called for--where one might get away with a quiet fina grenadine as the most texture acceptable. But when neither of those are the case, I think that some texture in the tie is nice. For the combo in question, the suit is very smooth, the shirt is a chambray with moderate texture, the square is smooth silk, and the tie is the most textured element. I think that they all work together and create more visual interest than would a twill silk or grenadine tie, without the tie being too casual for the rest.
Thank you for "educating" me on what your thought process was. I respect that. I was not saying your outfit/combo was bad but my personal choice would have been something else. There is nothing wrong with what you were wearing and how you were wearing it. I just had to "knitpick" and put my two cents in. I started off conservative and just slowly breaking away from the suit world. Glad I can do business casual now.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

emptym

Reaction score
^I like AAS's jacket, but I agree that it's probably too casual for wear w/ a tie, except perhaps a knit tie. Looks good w/ the seersucker.

Rather than the pockets, it's the skinny lapels that would bug me. :devil: I'd probably flip them up and just wear the jacket with a t-shirt.

suitntieguy

Reaction score
Thank you for "educating" me on what your thought process was. I respect that. I was not saying your outfit/combo was bad but my personal choice would have been something else. There is nothing wrong with what you were wearing and how you were wearing it. I just had to "knitpick" and put my two cents in. I started off conservative and just slowly breaking away from the suit world. Glad I can do business casual now.

But, you were right. That tie did not work with such a formal suit and shirt. Sorry but it didn’t.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads