HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, May 21, 2014.

1. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

For me neither gray nor navy is inherently more formal (talking darker shades obviously).

I think it is really about a lot more than the color of the suit. The cut, details (pockets, lapels, stitching....), and what is being paired with it, are essentially what takes the suit up or down in formality, imo.

2. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

I guess I'm somewhere in between you and @Pliny , I feel increasing formality goes from (light / medium) gray, navy, charcoal, black. But I don't know, is there an objective or historical formality scale when it comes to navy vs. gray?

3. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

I definitely feel like gray of the same shade is more conservative than blue, and I didn't realize many would think otherwise.

4. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl The Moral Squirrel Dubiously Honored Moderator

I'm with Stitch. Pockets, suit fabric, shirt, shoe, and tie choice...they are all factors.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014

5. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

I don't consider either navy or charcoal to be inherently more formal than the other. Charcoal is probably more somber than navy which in turn is more somber than a light to medium grey, but somber and formal aren't necessarily the same. Navy is IMO a bit more festive than charcoal and better for evening social events and weddings, but not so much so that it makes a huge difference (though I think wedding ties tend to look better with a navy suit).

6. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

Agreed, but leaving those out of the equation and focussing only on the colours? What do you consider more formal?

7. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

8. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl The Moral Squirrel Dubiously Honored Moderator

I honestly can't decide...I've been going back and forth in my head the last few minutes. I'm thinking navy suit, white shirt, PoW tie or charcoal suit, white shirt, black grenadine would be equally formal.

9. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

Neither. They are both colors that are oft considered "formal" here, but if you were going to a black/white tie event, you would be woefully underdressed either way. They are not really "formal" they are more just conservative. As to which is "more" conservative, I think they are equal, and it boils down to the aforementioned details. Assuming all those details are equal, I think the colors themselves stand on equal ground in this matter.

10. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

^ Good point: formal and conservative are two different things, though I must admit I often use 'formal' when I should say 'conservative'.
    So, is it safe to conclude that charcoal and navy are equally conservative but that neither are really formal?

11. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

I think Charcoal is more appropriate for a funeral than Navy, personally. Is that formal or conservative? Latter I guess.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014

12. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

I like (mid) gray Reason #5 = better pics [​IMG]

13. spectre

spectre Senior member

Well in Australia we use the Queen's English so grey is spelt grey and aluminium is just that, not aluminum. Too many vowels for you guys I guess, but i agree with some...lieutenant should be lootenant, not leftenant. How the Poms got that pronunciation is beyond me.
    I digress. I sort of see what you are saying, certainly in regards to informal navy and grey suits...you shouldn't really ever see an informal grey suit.
    But in general I think mid grey and navy are on a par in terms of formality, both can go up and down according to what's worn with it.

14. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

This one of Mathew Singer at NY Fashion Week's pretty cas IMO[​IMG]

or this guy, a DB no less[​IMG]

Key is to go lite-ish

EDIT: Spectre, surely u mean 'shouldn't ever see an informal dark gray suit'?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014

15. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Dubiously Honored Moderator

Gentlemen, thank you. Very kind of you and much appreciated. Lootenant indeed! :smarmy: Grey/Blue, formal? I do like Stitchy's distinction to conservative, good point. Don't know if it's been mentioned but texture will effect the matter too.