• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It was said with a smile and clearly with no ill-will behind it. It was a way for the proprietor to connect with me on a personal level and, just as I immediately responded with a joke (that this is as casual as I dress), he immediately fired back a compliment. It was the type of authentic interaction that will make me go out of my way to support the business. It was A+ customer service from my perspective.

I can see in my original telling of the story, there is no contextual clue to indicate that it was a warm and inviting ribbing (a "relax, you're at home here" kind of statement) and not a criticism in any way.

Ah, yes, you’re right. Does totally depend on the tone. :)

chocsosa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A three piece kind of day where the weather was a little cool for this time of the year in the valley with some minor pattern interplay..

SAM_3703-001.JPG
SAM_3702.JPG
SAM_3704-001.JPG
SAM_3725-001.JPG
SAM_3722-001.JPG
SAM_3712-001.JPG
SAM_3716.JPG
SAM_3727.JPG
SAM_3715.JPG

slyguyWT2

Reaction score
I love this jacket/suit but am unsure how to pair it. The sleeves still have to be lengthened.
View attachment 989656

I would recommend a bili chain, assuming you have demonstrated confidence and proficiency at home during practice. Any unflattering pairings will be overlooked as attention is directed toward the bili.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

coldsalmon

Reaction score
I wouldn't go so dark on the pants, lighter shade of blue for the shirt, and a dark, solid tie with some texture.
Yeah, I was thinking black grenadine. Were you thinking lighter grey for the pants, or maybe tan/brown?

Epicure

Reaction score
Always a pleasure to see you in this suit. While I'm not averse to wearing loafers with a suit, I'd personally opt to complete this fit with dark brown suede chukkas. Not sure if you own such a pair of shoes, but just a thought.

And at this point, I should offer a word of apology. Now that I've commenced giving you feedback, it seems to be turning into a habit. Truly, it's because I admire your style. While I never see you in what I'd consider a fail, some fits just cry out for a little tweak in my mind's eye, and I feel compelled to offer an opinion at these times.

While I don't post fit pics nearly as often as you, I'm always open to constructive critique from anyone who cares to contribute. When it comes to my feedback, I always try to offer it in a particularly respectful way if it's for the first time to a member who is widely regarded to know what they are doing. I try to make it clear to all whom I offer advice that this is where I'm coming from.

In terms of actually applying advice received about fits posted, sometimes it's not possible even when one wishes to do so. Admittedly, while I have a respectable wardrobe for my own purposes, not all suggestions can be acted on where particular items are not owned, and I realise this is true for others also. It's a reality even among some of the biggest wardrobes. Such wardrobes may be heavy on some items/styles and light on others, as governed by personal tastes and other factors.

Roy Al

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Epicure
Your critique is most appreciated, and I thank you for spending your time to consider my outfits.
Yesterdays attire is the result of the need for variation and the somewhat challenging weather condition; cold morning and heated midday. Chukkas would make me boil, but I see your point, and in fall I gladly go for that option.

And I agree, many of my outfits are not 100%, neither as attires nor as I'm able to put them together.
I guess I'm 85 - 90%, so keep on commenting.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads