HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, May 21, 2014.

1. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

Don C, thats areal nice combo.

Cleav, excellent. Great use of that SC. Its a tough one, but you done good.

MF, very cool.

Evilb, I know I have droned on about gingham shirts and suits, but I have to say that one looks more better (lol grammar) to me. Could be the medium not large size check. However, its still jarring for me against that very businessey navy suit. If I was you, which I am not, I would invest in another navy suit. Something with patch pockets and some texture, and wear that with your gingham shirts. My opinion anyways.

2. eviltimeban

eviltimeban Senior member

Yes Stitch I hear ya, the suit I wore yesterday is actually probably more suited as it is a more textured, softer wool. I didn't plan ahead and should've really worn today and yesterday's fits the other way around, suit-wise. Still though, in terms of the gingham and the business-suit, its not one I do very often anymore but I feel it is generally acceptable in terms of being a London / UK sort of thing (which we've discussed before). Even though I'm in Ireland. :)

And yes you aren't me! Are you? Hang on... no. I'm sure of it. ;)

Last edited: Aug 14, 2014

3. JHT652

JHT652 Senior member

[​IMG]

PRL
    Richard James
    Zegna
    RLPL

4. SeaJen

SeaJen Senior member

For the rule-breaking challenge I went all "Sid Mashburn."
    However, the response in my house this morning is curious.
    Wife: "Wow! Daddy's looking sharp today" (with small children, we refer to one another in their presence as Mummy and Daddy, just to be clear)
    Son (3): "Daddy, you're wearing 2 ties"
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rules broken (as if you needed telling): Jeans with a jacket and tie; rear tie blade visible (very few or my ties can be worn with the rear blade longer than the front); I am not, and have never been, an Argyll and Sutherland Highlander; rustic belt with jacket and tie; no CYA with this blazer and these jeans; no socks with my tasseks (not a rule I follow anyway).

So what does this tell us? One, that my 3 year old son knows that the rear blade of the tie should not be visible (yay); and two, women (or at least my wife) do not ascribe to the aesthetics of SF.

The latter is no surprise; it is often remarked here that we should not take style advice from women, but it does raise an interesting issue. Are we intentionally attempting not to further our genes? Are we working counter-evolutionary? I will be honest, if my outfit today yields a positive evening I will surely think deeply about the sylistic norms to which I currently subscribe. [​IMG]

5. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Important meetings today. [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    EDITED with the proper images.

6. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Dubiously Honored Moderator

7. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

ETB: I like that a lot. It's you, but pulled back a tiny bit. I don't love the saddle shoes with sharp suits thing you have going on, but we shall see.

SeaJen: Just as Ladies Love Cool James, Ladies Love Tight Pants ("LL Tight P" is the worst name for a rapper I can imagine). I think the tie thing only works if the blades are close in length. The hoof pick belt is great.

GMMcL, I like that. It's very "you," but very elegant. This also seems like a really elegant silhouette for you. If you need something to keep you out of trouble, I think those shoes could use a little TLC, but it's not too pressing in my book.

8. SeaJen

SeaJen Senior member

I would agree except I dont think it works at all, actually. My rear blade is now safely back in its keeper; twas done only as part of the challenge.

9. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Senior member

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

After a quick morning cuppa, off to give a talk about Charles Ives. Said Arnold Schoenberg, “There is a great Man living in this Country – a composer. He has solved the problem how to preserve one’s self-esteem and to learn. He responds to negligence by contempt. He is not forced to accept praise or blame. His name is Ives.”

10. in stitches

Sounds good to me! I just checked, I am not you.
    This is really excellent. These pants are spot on. make your tailor do this to all your pants. :)

11. heldentenor

heldentenor Senior member

Cross-post from the Friday Challenge, with apologies to Cleav and all for posting two entries.

Rules broken:
    Northern lights
    Matchy-matchy bordered square
    Wholecut shoes with sportcoat
    Shirt and SC in similar patterns

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. in stitches

@SeaJen, I like your style, man. Very consistent vibe. Also, that belt you have on today is awesome. Deets?

13. SeaJen

SeaJen Senior member

Thanks, mayne! Very kind of you.
    The belt was a gift from my wife, from East Dane, I believe, but they seem pretty easy to find online. Brass hoofpick belt. Tack supply companies seem to stock them at much more reasonable prices (Smartpakequine.com came up on google).

14. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

Lots of rule-breaking today (navy trousers, plus light jacket on top), but I think I prefer my other entry from earlier in the week for the actual challenge, so this one just goes into this thread. This one's obviously much more on the casual side of things.

[​IMG]

15. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

@Epaulet also sells them, at least, last time I checked.