1. Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Atelier Wen We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Atelier Wen focusing on quality mechanical watches proudly made in China.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, May 21, 2014.

1. KingPSQ

KingPSQ Senior Member Affiliate Vendor

I really like the autumnal colors in that outfit but shantung + tweed is a weird combination.

Played it save today and enjoyed another beautiful sunset. Man, we hadn't had a rainy day in like two weeks. I wouldn't mind if it kept on being like this.

IMG_8211-1-1.jpg IMG_8223-1.jpg IMG_8229-1.jpg

2. flvinny521

flvinny521 Senior Member

I remember reading about similar issues from another of the threads here (maybe tailor's tutorial thread or something) where this was explained by a vertically too short front panel above the buttoning point. In other words, the chest needed to be larger vertically in order to lower the buttoning point and balance the front and back. I tend to have the same appearance in all suits and it has to do with my erect posture.

3. Alocin

Alocin Senior Member

Beautiful shots! But is the suit brown or charcoal? I cant quite tell but I like it either way.

But I agree, I really wish I had a brown/bronze hobnail or even a grenadine but this is the only solid brown tie I have and I did not want to clash too hard in terms of pattern with the herringbone.

4. IEG

IEG Senior Member

That coat is Awesome! Any additional info on that piece?

5. KingPSQ

Thanks a lot! Actually, it's a navy herringbone. Just due to the intense orange lighting it appears to be brown.
    I think something like a big brown wool Glencheck tie might have worked too but I understand the thinking and I probably would have done the same.

6. IEG

IEG Senior Member

Never mind, just saw the spoiler, figures.

7. Alocin

Alocin Senior Member

@Dave Gieringer Thank you! I got it on sale at the SF store probably close to 10 years ago, the store is long gone.

@KingPSQ I figured the sunlight was just playing tricks on my eyes although it does make the red from your tie and your buttons really pop. That could work well I think! but yet again the only glen check tie I have is the standard black and white. I have a ways to reach a collection with slightly more obscure ties.

8. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

So, shantung in the fall/winter has been discussed a lot here in the past, and fwiw, I like it. Though shantung has a spring/summer connotation for many, I think its texture and look works great will f/w textures. @emptym would agree, iirc. For me, it would only be a concern if the shantung was very thin and breezy, which I would see as more s/s, but that would be true for any thin and breezy tie construction, regardless of the fabric.

What is a much bigger issue, for me, however, is the use of a tie here at all. Personally, I have a strong aversion to denim-ey and/or dark/deeply saturated shirts within a jacket and tie ensemble, and I find that it almost never works for me. There are exceptions, sure, but they are few. I think if you lost the tie entirely, it would be a really cool, rakish, casual kind of fit. The hefty tweed SC, thick denim-ey shirt, pretty deeply saturated cotton chinos, and chunky boots all have that workwear kind of menswear vibe to me, and the PS ads the whimsical, devil-may-care flare. So, yeah, I wouldn't wear any tie there at all.

Also, I think the gloves look cool in the jacket pocket, adding to the vibe the PS provides, but don't love them being worn in the pic. I think they come off as too big against the rest, taking up too much visual space. I know the gloves are much more functional being worn (like most clothing), and wear them you should, but I wouldn't personally exhibit them worn in these fit pics.

Hope that helps in some way. :)

9. Alocin

Alocin Senior Member

Thanks so much Stitch! The more I wear this shirt and try to pair it with ties I realize it just might not work with them. And the tie definitely has some heft to it so I think it works well for f/w so I did hit that part on the nose. I knew I could've gone with standard light blue shirt but I wanted to try this shirt again. Lesson learned and solidified. If it stays this weather I will try this fit again sans tie and gloves kept in the pocket!

10. ericgereghty

ericgereghty Distinguished Member

+1. Do like shantung with wintery coats. Do not like that shirt with a tie. Too dark for my pasty behind to pull off.

11. KingPSQ

I agree with 99%. I also liked the look of Shantung with tweed due to both textures being rough and raw. However, lately I have considered raw silk being a dedicated summer fabric as it's traditionally used for summer jacketing (especially dinner jackets). You wouldn't wear those during winter time. Keeping that in mind shantung ties in winter just don't seem right.

12. justridiculous

justridiculous Distinguished Member

@Alocin I have that Polo SC and love it. It gets quite a bit of wear when I travel to colder places.

13. Alocin

Alocin Senior Member

@justridiculous I really am not sure why this does not get much more wear aside from weather here, you being from LA know that California is no stranger to warm winters!

@KingPSQ @in stitches @ericgereghty

With the overwhelming response, I nixed the tie and threw the gloves back into my pocket. Apologies for the poor lighting in the office but still feels better.

Snapseed.jpg

14. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

YASS!

15. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Distinguished Member

Counter-opinion: I don't love shantung and tweed combinations. Looking at it strictly from a texture perspective--and ignoring potentially anachronistic seasonal connotations--it should work. Maybe it's just me. I think a wool tie generally looks better.