Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, May 21, 2014.

1. Dave Davies

Dave Davies Member

I think there is a little continental reasoning going on especially with the width of the lapel. I'm english and on here a lot of the American jackets seem to have huge lapels they remind me of something from the 70's and i don't think they look flattering at all, I prefer a skinny lapel maybe because I'm not that tall and slim (well reltaively lol). I would say a skinny lapel would definately look better on isloation. The rest of your points I'm in agreement with.

2. Tried and True

Tried and True Senior member

[​IMG]

I know it's the rage with the chic set, but I just can't see wearing trashed shoes with a suit. Jeans, khakis, shorts; sure.........

3. Dave Davies

Dave Davies Member

I'm against wearing loafers with a suit, just looks odd to me.

4. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

That might be just for the Friday's Challenge....[​IMG]

5. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

Hmm, maybe look into Reda then. I'm positive my suit is from the same fabric as yours, though in a blue/grey shade. I'll let you know if/when I've finally found out [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Speaking of which, @NickPollica who made the fabric of your suit? Looks familiar....

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014

6. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

Thanks, Clags would you say that peak + hacking/ticket is inappropriate then? I know it's more complication, but as I've explained I don't exactly have a dress code I have to conform to nor am I trying to blend in. I guess in some way for me menswear is something of a statement, which I know runs counter to the ideology here. I do want to do it while remaining stylish that's all, and I don't know if getting 2 button sb peak lapel suit with ticket/hacking pockets necessarily pushes it over that boundary. I would say simply that I do like it, and I do plan on getting more traditionally cut suits as well, if that makes it more acceptable a choice. If I did get it hacking it would be only quite slight, but I personally find hacking pockets just more practical in general, not that I often put my hands in my pocket but you know.

7. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

@Tried and True, any chance you can quote the pics you are critiquing instead of just reposting the image. Sometimes I like to go back and see all the pics before I respond to feedback discussion, and it makes that hard when there is no direct link via the quote.

Thnx!

8. 9thsymph

9thsymph Senior member

If you think Americans wear their lapels too wide, then you are going to want to stay away from Italy...

9. 9thsymph

9thsymph Senior member

^ Or at the very least, steer clear of Italian tailoring...

10. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

Although many people seem to think that ticket pockets are traditionally for country suits / odd jackets, I'm not so sure. I would gess that the origins are historical (and British). Peal lapels tend to be associated with more 'off-duty' / evening (whether formal or casual) suits or jackets. Ticket pockets would have been found more on suits used by those travelling to and from work situations by train - which would have been more likely to have had notch / fishmouth lapels. But this is just a guess, albeit a reasonable informed one. I will have to do some digging...

Edit: Storey's History of Men's Fashion doesn't say anything specifically about whether ticket pockets were worn with peaked lapels or not, however it does confirm my view on the origins of the ticket pocket (they were originally worn seperately as a pouch, then on the waistcoat and then inside the jacket, and then migrated outside), and does recommend them on DB suit coats for the city (which would probably mean peak lapels in many cases).

11. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

That makes sense and I do think peak make sense for me, if anything it seems like it's for evening type events where it's casual yet formal in the sense that it's dressed up, but it's not work/conservative, and that's basically the only enviroment I wear suits in. I could see why in any case the ticket/hacking and peak lapel clash in origin, but I don't think that necessarily looks bad. I suppose I can drop the ticket and just have very slight hacking, I think a slight slant works with a waisted figure and looks quite nice in a subtle way.

12. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

The suit looks awesome with that tie, but it looks like you've buttoned the wrong button, or are you trying to break that rule as well? Anyway, I can't wait to see Eidos F/W!

13. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

Dude, two-buttoned single breasted peak lapel suit to start off your wardrobe is VERY ATYPICAL. Then again there is no rule out there.
    If you want to be stylish, I think you should get solid staple suits (two-buttoned single breasted notch lapel suit) and play around with ties, shirts, and shoes. You can also play around with colors of the suits while sticking to solid staple suits. I say start off by getting a nice solid staple suit(s) and get stylish with your ties, shirts, and shoes...AND POCKET SQUARES.

14. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

I thought that but I asked and some people told me it's quite trad in that there have been lots of examples of it from the past and it's by no means some new trendy thing.

Yeah I'm getting a navy and charcoal suit, I just really liked the glen plaid with peak lapel look so I wanted to get one as well.

15. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

[​IMG]
    (I invite you to the Noodles' Thread for further discussion if you want as this thread is not for back and forth conversations.)