• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
‘Tis always a pleasure!

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@An Acute Style the jacket looks a little orphan-suit-y, peak lapel + ticket pocket are the culprits I think. I also just generally dislike peak lapels on (sb) odd jackets, but de gustibus etc.

Overall I like the fit though.

Thanks. The jacket is a Suit Supply Washington. I thrifted it so I'm not sure if it was part of a suit. I think a navy jacket allows it to slide by despite the features.

AAS - just way, way too much going on. Visual assault and battery.

This is not very useful feedback. Care to eloborate. At what point would it not be too much?

@Thin White Duke I love how you worded that comment sir, made my day haha.

I like the trousers sir, is the jacked aubergine? Or a dark navy? love the peaks.

Thanks. The jacket is navy. The cardigan is purple.

ASS, if you dont mind critique from someone who never posts, those trousers look much roomier than usual (am I wrong?). I think slimmer is much better on you.
I don't mind. Thanks for taking the time to respond. I have older pants that are slimmer, but most of my newer ones are more relaxed. I like the feel of the roomier pants and I also love the drape. I may slim the thighs on these particular pants, but the leg opening is staying put.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saturday to a wedding. I had the pants hemmed, but not tapered. I didn't have any work done to the jacket. After wearing, I'm going to taper the pants and lengthen the sleeves. It's almost there.

IMG_4083.JPG

IMG_4085.JPG

IMG_4084.JPG

IMG_4082.JPG

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
V nice! Not sure if chunky tie is too casual for suit (did someone say "incoherent"), but that's probably just a nit, and in full pic, from a distance, its not even noticeable.

Also, personally, if possible, Id also shorten the suit jacket a little bit.

Hal Freeman

Reaction score
Thanks. The jacket is a Suit Supply Washington. I thrifted it so I'm not sure if it was part of a suit. I think a navy jacket allows it to slide by despite the features.

This is not very useful feedback. Care to eloborate. At what point would it not be too much?

Thanks. The jacket is navy. The cardigan is purple.

I don't mind. Thanks for taking the time to respond. I have older pants that are slimmer, but most of my newer ones are more relaxed. I like the feel of the roomier pants and I also love the drape. I may slim the thighs on these particular pants, but the leg opening is staying put.

Thanks for the reply sir, not gonna lie. I kinda like the more fuller fits you've been posting and they do drape very well.

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A Person With A Snow Person Picture (outside of Santa's house at The Grove, a local shopping center).....

P1100561 2.jpg

It's around 85F here today, so I'm wearing a cotton and polyester Brooks Brothers suit, blue and white gingham PPBD shirt, and repp tie, and Allen-Edmonds shoes.

A Piece Of A Person With An Alleged Gingerbread Croissant (that's what the lady at the bakery said it was) picture.

P1100556 2.JPG

Although it didn't taste like gingerbread and didn't look like a croissant, it was very good and if anyone is in the Los Angeles area and wants one, this is at the new Dominique Ansel Bakery at The Grove.

gavspen

Reaction score
I don't mind. Thanks for taking the time to respond. I have older pants that are slimmer said:
Well comfort is very important, my good fellow, I certainly get it, and it was the thigh in particular that I though looked a bit too big.

At the risk of repeating myself, I very much like the way you put pieces together...mostly, haha. A suit, assuming it fits well, is easy to do I think, but to put together different jackets, pants, waistcoats, etc., that's certainly more of a challenge.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
V nice! Not sure if chunky tie is too casual for suit (did someone say "incoherent"), but that's probably just a nit, and in full pic, from a distance, its not even noticeable.

Also, personally, if possible, Id also shorten the suit jacket a little bit.

Thanks. I had a navy cashmere tie on earlier in the day. I changed to the knit because it was more comfortable. I'll be sure to wear a more formal tie in the future.

@gavspen
Thanks again for the kind words. I'm fairly new to tailoring down oversized trousers. It usually takes two trips to the tailor to get them right. The waist and thighs on these need to be brought in some more. 8.5 inches is my new preferred leg opening. I haven't nailed down a new waist or thigh opening yet. I'll get it right one of these days.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I had a navy cashmere tie on earlier in the day. I changed to the knit because it was more comfortable. I'll be sure to wear a more formal tie in the future.

You're welcome, re: first sentence.

Glad to hear, re: second sentence.

Understandable, re: third sentence.

Not sure if snarky, re: fourth sentence.

:)

- - -

I think @Mr. Six, looks better out-of-focus than most of do in HD.

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LOL. I’ve been playing with iPhone Portrait Mode. Tough to get yourself in focus I’m finding! (Probably it’s trying to get my face in focus. I need #menswear Portrait Mode!)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads