HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, May 21, 2014.

1. DonCologne

DonCologne Senior member

Ok, because english is not my native language, sometimes it´s hard to understand everything in the right context.

2. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Dubiously Honored Moderator

That will be my fault not yours old friend, I just believe that if you were to get your pants tapered (generally) you would see a huge difference. :D

3. EFV

EFV Senior member Dubiously Honored

4. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

The ticket pocket is drastically out of proportion to my eye. The jacket also looks to be part of a suit, too. And not in a good way...
    You've done a fair job mixing scales on your patterns, but the color combining is jarring. Particularly the bright red of the hank and the muted red of the tie.
    VOAT FER SHUGGERBUSH!

Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
  5. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

Others, including myself, have humbly suggested the same to DonC in the past. And indeed he has posted a couple of fits featuring more tapered trousers, and they looked great.

However he has always respectfully declined overall to change his ways. This is clearly Don's "look" and he likes it. And I suppose tapered trousers, although ubiquitous these days, were not always so.

I inherited an early 1960s Viennese-made bespoke suit from my father (which I will post here one day) which is beautifully cut but had very wide trouser hems - silly wide, like about 10 1/2". I decided, with some misgivings, to have them tapered back to 8 3/4", because they just looked really strange to my eye and made the suit effectively unwearable.

8 3/4" is still fairly wide of course.

6. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

You may convert me yet!

Congrats!

7. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

Have u got the trews for that jacket? I hope so, cos a smoothish worsted solid grey odd jacket with peak lapels is a strange beast. Not very useful. On the other hand the whole suit would be baller with that white shirt (the collar of which is perfectly in proportion with the lapels of the jacket) and say a black silk knit rather than that tie.. . The Windsor knot looks bad here IMO Go the 4 in H.

8. sleepyinsanfran

sleepyinsanfran Senior member

I think with these huge lapels - the windsor/half windsor is the only way to go. A tiny 4-in-hand knot would be rather strange with those lapels. Agree on teh shirt collars - they are perfect for the jacket

9. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

Colour issues aside, as @sugarbutch already mentioned, if I had to use a SC with such a busy pattern I would make sure that the scale of the other patterns would be a lot more different.

Quote:

Mr. Barbera would like to ask you: "Never? Are you sure?"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Seriously though, because charcoal (like navy) is so strongly associated with 'city' c.q. formal, they're hard to pull off well as odd trousers. But it can be done, provided they're not too 'suity', e.g. no smooth worsted etc.

Indeed. An suit jacket worn as separate can look ok but this one is too 'city' to work in a SC/trousers context. The white shirt doesn't help either.
    @Mycroft11Zero , somewhere on the interwebs there is a very educating thread by old SF luminary Voxsartoria about city vs. country and formal vs. informal, and how (or not) to combine those. Unfortunately, I seem to have lost my bookmark, but perhaps one of the other SFers can help you out?

Personally, I don't get the TF aesthetics at all. Take that jacket for example. Instead of a harmonious whole, all I see is a collection of over-the-top stylistic details that all compete for attention. And I will refrain from comments about the tie....

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
  10. DonCologne

DonCologne Senior member

11. kulata

kulata Senior member

@Monkeyface :D

[​IMG]

12. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Never say never, but I'm still pretty sure about it. Charcoal bordering on black like in that Tom Ford fit will always look bad. Dark grey like mr Barbera is wearing can look great with certain tan/camel jackets, but that's about it.

13. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

You won't find much love for a Windsor in any iteration here- they are symmetrical and look mannered.
    The size of the knot is going to depend on the tie too, and there's no reason a four in H cant fill a collar notch like that. e.g.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

+1 or a mid to lite gray SC might work. I think LB would look better there with mid to dk gray flannels

14. Pingson

Pingson Senior member

Hmm, I seem to recall vaguely a discussion a few days ago regarding charcoal trousers and mid-grey jackets.....

15. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

I suppose it depends on your definition of dark grey and charcoal. Charcoal that could go for black in a certain light? Nope. Very dark grey that is still clearly grey, like in Barbera's oufit? Yep.
    It's a look that tends to work better for the more grey haired among us.