• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

XKxRome0ox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
36347697430_f75a3895a9_c.jpg

36696705296_2d4da26522_c.jpg

sharing 2 photos from my engagement photoshoot

brooks brothers dress shirt
j. crew dress pants (my new favorite)
allen edmonds olive neumoks (my beater shoes since i knew i was going to the sandy beach)

accessories -
rolex daytona 116500LN
and my fiancee (ultra light weight version)
:colgate:

Last edited:

Roy Al

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you, sir, for the specifics.

Now that I have that information, I can possibly have my flannel suit and my whisky too.

Probably a discussion to take elsewhere, but what are your preferred styles/regions for the single malts? Distillers?

Being fond of a rather powerful, peaty and smoky dram, I'm very much a fan of the Islay malts, which provide an even more enjoyable experience when wearing the C&J Islay boot. Like the Islay boot, the Islay malts are best enjoyed with advanced age, though I can only speak of experience with the former, as my Islay boots are only a couple of years old.

It would seem the Islay malts, when young, lack a certain richness and character that only barrel time brings. I imagine my boots will take on an even greater appeal once they get to about 12 years and beyond, with the appropriate attention and care, of course.

Not wanting to derail, but need to reply.
My taste is not as advanced as yours, but still on the other end, like sweetness more than bonfire, and my personal favorite is Oban 14 y, and I love Scapa 16yrs and High Land Park 12years. And there is still more, The Balvenie 12 years, Aberfeldy 12 years among others.
They need app 12-14 years at least.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you, sir, for the specifics.

Now that I have that information, I can possibly have my flannel suit and my whisky too.

Probably a discussion to take elsewhere, but what are your preferred styles/regions for the single malts? Distillers?

Being fond of a rather powerful, peaty and smoky dram, I'm very much a fan of the Islay malts, which provide an even more enjoyable experience when wearing the C&J Islay boot. Like the Islay boot, the Islay malts are best enjoyed with advanced age, though I can only speak of experience with the former, as my Islay boots are only a couple of years old.

It would seem the Islay malts, when young, lack a certain richness and character that only barrel time brings. I imagine my boots will take on an even greater appeal once they get to about 12 years and beyond, with the appropriate attention and care, of course.
I actually think the opposite, my favourite Islays were the PC5-7 back when they were released. I would rather commission a bespoke 2-piece from A&S than pay current market price for them, though. As Islays get older they get more wooded and it kind of fights the smokey sweetness of peat. By the time Port Charlotte was released, or even the later PCs, the beauty had petered out.

Epicure

Reaction score
@Roy Al,
Again noting that this is not the thread for this discussion, the malts you name are all examples of malts I've enjoyed in times past and would still enjoy today if someone offered me any one of those.

(Apologies to all for breaking the continuity of outfit posting, and related comments)

Last edited:

Epicure

Reaction score
@crdb
Regrettably, I've not tried the whiskies you mention. I'm fond of the examples offered by Laphroaig and Ardbeg. My current favourite is the Uigeadail. To clarify, I had that particular whisky in mind as a comparison say, to the Ardbeg 10, which to my palate offers little or none in terms of dried fruits, honey, leather, nuts, chocolate and other flavours. This of course will differ depending on whether you add water, what water you add if you do so, and how much you add. With the Ardbeg 10, I get peat and I get smoke in abundance, but with the Uigeadail, presumably of older age and sherry cask maturation given the deeper colour, the additional flavours complement rather than detract from the peat and smoke, IMO.

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This will be the last of my daily postings for a while - off to Budapest and London starting tomorrow night. We'll see all you folks in a couple of weeks - play nice while I'm gone.

Suit - BB
Shirt - BB MTM
Tie - BB
Cufflinks - Metropolitan Museum of Art
PS - Robert Talbott
Shoes - Finsbury, Paris

IMG_6218 (836x1280).jpg

IMG_6213 (1280x1261).jpg
IMG_6215 (855x1280).jpg
IMG_6216 (729x1280).jpg
IMG_6217 (554x1280).jpg

DiplomaticTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@crdb
Regrettably, I've not tried the whiskies you mention. I'm fond of the examples offered by Laphroaig and Ardbeg. My current favourite is the Uigeadail. To clarify, I had that particular whisky in mind as a comparison say, to the Ardbeg 10, which to my palate offers little or none in terms of dried fruits, honey, leather, nuts, chocolate and other flavours. This of course will differ depending on whether you add water, what water you add if you do so, and how much you add. With the Ardbeg 10, I get peat and I get smoke in abundance, but with the Uigeadail, presumably of older age and sherry cask maturation given the deeper colour, the additional flavours complement rather than detract from the peat and smoke, IMO.

Unfortunately the best Islay of all is not made anymore: Ardbeg 17 yo. Stray remaining bottles can still be found online though, but they start at around 500£...

DavidLane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually think the opposite, my favourite Islays were the PC5-7 back when they were released. I would rather commission a bespoke 2-piece from A&S than pay current market price for them, though. As Islays get older they get more wooded and it kind of fights the smokey sweetness of peat. By the time Port Charlotte was released, or even the later PCs, the beauty had petered out.

*EDIT* Port Ellen Distillery (not Port Charlotte) is set to re-open in 2020. So in 10 years you may be in luck. I was on Islay last week and the town is very excited to see this moving forward.

Unfortunately the best Islay of all is not made anymore: Ardbeg 17 yo. Stray remaining bottles can still be found online though, but they start at around 500£...

Agreed, for me it is a toss up between the 17 from Ardbeg and the 18 from Laphroaig both discontinued. There are independent bottlers that still offer some of these but they may be harder to find than the genuine article.

DL-

Last edited:

ShawnBC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was in Scotland early in October but couldn’t make it to Islay, unfortunately... managed to visit Oban, though!

Spruce Moose

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First time posting a picture here but I wanted to show off one of Canada's finest makes (Samuelsohn, cashmere). I usually keep it pretty casual and don't wear a tie but you guys are inspiring me so maybe next time. Color didn't come out perfect from my webcam (Jacket a little more green, pants a little more brown, shirt a little darker blue) and my poor picture posture makes everything look wrinkled. Cheers!

Oct19.PNG

Oct19a.PNG

Last edited:

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics