HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, May 21, 2014.

1. DiplomaticTies

DiplomaticTies Senior member

Many years ago when I bought my first quality shoes it was a pair of AEs. More of a coincidence than anything else but I have retained a certain nostalgic affinity for the brand since then. Since then I've bought a few more pairs from them, but at the same time I have to admit that it's probably 10 years since I last bought a pair of AEs. My favoured brand today is Edward Green, and if I'm looking for shoes in the same price segment as AE I'm more likely to go for Carmina, whose lasts and sleeker silhouette suits me better.

At the same time I have never regretted buying AEs. I have two pairs in my rotation at the moment, both are probably 10 years old and I use both of them as "workhorses". Despite many years of regular use they still hold up remarkably well. So even if I'm no longer a regular AE customer, they have certainly served me well.

2. AunToni

AunToni Senior member

Thank you for your thorough response.

You know, I appreciate Edward Green, but for some reason I'm just not a fan, both in the aesthetics and the fit. I prefer J.M. Weston, but there seems to be a lot of people who don't know this brand, especially those outside of France.
    Obviously not the place to discuss shoes in depth, but J.M. Weston doesn't make a double monk that I like. Any recommendations, outside of EG, for double monks? I need a brand that has E-width. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

3. upr_crust

upr_crust Senior member

The weather today in NYC is to be hot and steamy, and I'd not be wearing a jacket or tie were it not that I'm attending yet another book party for "We Are Dandy" this evening. One supposes that one should look the part at a gathering that will be, I am sure, full of self-styled dandies and such. Seersucker is the only solution to this design problem.

Suit, shirt, tie - BB
    Shoes - C & J
    Hat - Seifter Associates

IMG_5798 (785x1280).jpg

IMG_5794 (1120x1280).jpg IMG_5795 (804x1280).jpg IMG_5796 (561x1280).jpg IMG_5797 (852x1280).jpg

4. DiplomaticTies

DiplomaticTies Senior member

I don't own any Westons but I have tried a few and they seem very nice. Especially their 7 eyelets Oxford is a stunning shoe.

Unfortunately, I'm no help when it comes to double monks. For some reason that I can't rationally explain I've never liked double monks and I don't own a single pair of them. I have a few single monks, but that's it. But I'm sure that there are plenty of shoe aficionados on SF that can give you tips about double monks.

5. AlexRamius

AlexRamius Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Mr Tewkesbury

Mr Tewkesbury Senior member

Lobb, nicest DM on the market - IMO. However, I like the look of the Vass 1064 DM so much I blindly (no previous Vass exposure) commission a pair. We'll see!

With regard to EG, I feel much the same, some wonderful shoes but simply NQR for me. That said, I do like a MTO as they have some pretty extraordinary styles.

Regards

7. smittycl

smittycl Senior member

I guess I'm what they call an "Ed Head." All my shoes are from AE. Strands, Park Avenue, Fifth Avenue, Shreveport, McAllister, Peyton, Dalton and Liverpool. Their 65 last in particular fits me very well. They get a lot hard use here in the city and I take advantage of their re-crafting program quite often. I know there are plenty of excellent shoes out there but I haven't felt the need to explore just yet. I keep eyeing the Alden store down the street, though.

EDIT: I do have one pair of Peal & Co. black formal shoes from BB.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017 at 6:35 AM

8. MrVenneri

MrVenneri Senior member

Agree with @Mr Tewkesbury - the JL Chapel is thee double monk, especially the seamless whole-cut version. Just make sure you have a chance to try on the 8000 last as it tends to fit larger than other JL lasts in my experience.

9. jdp234

jdp234 Senior member

Simple today. Was bored of white linen PS and couldn't find anything suitable in my small rotation of silks, so squareless it is.

IMG_4328.JPG

10. upr_crust

upr_crust Senior member

It would probably be less tempting for me to buy shoes were I so particular as to only buy one brand's output, but, magpie that I am, I find myself buying that which attracts my attention across the board - dependent on style, price, and personal caprice.