• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Steed MTM looks good. Seems like Edwin and Matthew did a nice job for you.

The tailoring of the suit is exceptional. Love the tonic blue color and tapered suit trousers.

Thanks, I'm pretty happy with it. It's a huge improvement from the other jacket in the first picture, without any modifications or nips and tucks. I'm going to meet with them in June and am curious how they will want to tweak this for future orders.

Adam007

Reaction score
One from yesterday and then a few more from today in my first try with Steed MTM. It's not evident from the pictures due to the camera being at waist level, but the Steed button point is close to an inch lower than the jacket in the first picture.

View attachment 787288 View attachment 787289 View attachment 787290 View attachment 787291
Thanks, I'm pretty happy with it. It's a huge improvement from the other jacket in the first picture, without any modifications or nips and tucks. I'm going to meet with them in June and am curious how they will want to tweak this for future orders.
Is the grey business suit as well tailored? Love the light grey color. Suit trousers I expect have a less tapered leg it seems but can't see from photo. Looks a very durable grey business suit however.

Last edited:

jiredell

Reaction score
First day all week that we've had some sunshine here down South.
IMG_2800.JPG IMG_2799.JPG

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From a couple days ago...

IMG_8565.jpg
IMG_8569.jpg
IMG_8560.jpg
IMG_8558.jpg
IMG_8545.jpg
IMG_8527.jpg

The suit is made up from a length of Lumb's Golden Bale flannel I acquired a little while ago. It's beautiful material and they quite literally don't make it like that any more!

Suit and shirt: Hemrajani
Tie: H.N. White
Square: Simonnot-Godard
Shoes: Edward Green
Hat: Bates

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is the grey business suit as well tailored? Love the light grey color. Suit trousers I expect have a less tapered leg it seems but can't see from photo. Looks a very durable grey business suit however.

It fits well by non-SF standards, but it has almost become a quest to try and dial in the best fit I can. The main problem with the MTM grey suit and the other suits from this maker is that the button point is too high and the quarters too closed, which ends up making me look heavier than I am. Due to my meeting with Steed, I now know that I need a modification for a prominent chest and erect posture, which ends up dropping the buttoning point and opening up the quarters. This is the main difference between the two suits. Oh, and the pants, as the Steed pants are much better.

That jacket diagnosis alone was worth the premium in going with Steed, especially because that modification is now available from my online MTM source and drastically improved that fit as well on a very recent order. I may pursue a parallel path for a little while ordering from both Steed and my normal source and see where I end up.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
End of a long rainy day. Heading to the beach this weekend no matter how rainy. On the 8th day (after Gore-Tex) God made the brother-in-law with a big boat.

Rain coat: Canali (featherweight and cut to fit over suit. Perfect on hot, humid days)
Sport coat: Oxxford
Tie: Zegna
Shirt: Mattabisch

FullSizeRender (2).jpg

Adam007

Reaction score
It fits well by non-SF standards, but it has almost become a quest to try and dial in the best fit I can. The main problem with the MTM grey suit and the other suits from this maker is that the button point is too high and the quarters too closed, which ends up making me look heavier than I am. Due to my meeting with Steed, I now know that I need a modification for a prominent chest and erect posture, which ends up dropping the buttoning point and opening up the quarters. This is the main difference between the two suits. Oh, and the pants, as the Steed pants are much better.

That jacket diagnosis alone was worth the premium in going with Steed, especially because that modification is now available from my online MTM source and drastically improved that fit as well on a very recent order. I may pursue a parallel path for a little while ordering from both Steed and my normal source and see where I end up.
It's a shame as the grey MTM suit material looks a lovely fine wool fabric. Expect that's why errors show more. Even so the trousers not too bad a fit. The fabric of your Steed trousers is very smart. Does it have a wool and 10% mohair mix?

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a shame as the grey MTM suit material looks a lovely fine wool fabric. Expect that's why errors show more. Even so the trousers not too bad a fit. The fabric of your Steed trousers is very smart. Does it have a wool and 10% mohair mix?

100% wool.

As for the grey suit, it is not going anywhere and will continue to be worn on a regular basis as it's one of my favorites. While I make a big deal out of how much more I like the Steed suit, it only matters for future orders as everything in my closet is perfectly fine for my day-to-day needs.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads