HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, May 21, 2014.

1. EFV

EFV Senior member Dubiously Honored

I love Clark's desert boots, but it's mainly due to nostalgic reasons. They were the sh*t back in the early nineties when I first started looking for a personal style (this is not to say I had style). They're a Mod classic and comfy as hell.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2014

2. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

My guilty secret is a favourite pair of KG by Kurt Geiger blue suede desert boots. I bought them passing through Heathrow Airport a few years back just because they were so... blue. I never usually buy anything at airports (I hate the places), and almost never buy anything in commercial shoe shops. But I've probably got more wear out of them that any other shoe I own. I also still have a pair of Paul Smith mustard yellow suede boots from my pre-SF days, which I still wear occasionally...

3. daDudeson

daDudeson Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The shoes are black suede chukkas. I wish I owned a pair of brown ones like Cleav's that were just posted... hopefully soon [​IMG]

Also I fear that this navy pin or pencil striped twill shirt might be too formal to be worn with this jacket/ outfit. I'd be happy to hear some thoughts:)

4. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

Argument for Clark's: comfortable and look fine. Take Clarks on vacation and wear them in sun, mud, rain, etc. Brush off with suede brush. Repeat. Walk hundreds of miles in them. Don't stress. Plus you can find them cheap, usually less than 80 dollars if you're patient...I've seen them for in the 40s. They seem quite durable too.

This is not to treat them like throw-aways, but to treat them as shoes to live hassle free in. Why not?

5. spectre

spectre Senior member

They were also the sh*t back in the early SIXTIES WHEN I WAS A MOD!

Anyone here familiar with P.G.Wodehouse's character in the golf club called "The Oldest Member"?
    I'm going to apply for that status.

6. EFV

EFV Senior member Dubiously Honored

Yeah, they've been a Mod staple since the very beginning. They used to be an Ivy staple as well (not a culture I'm as familiar with or interested in, even though I've read some books on the subject).

The Drones Club? I think there actually are quite a few 60 + years old members on SF, so you'll have some competition.

7. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

Yes, they were part of the 'preppy' look in the northeastern US when I was in high school (back in the last century ...). Not as common as penny loafers, but part of the 'look'.

Cheers,

Ac

8. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Dubiously Honored Moderator

9. ShawnBC

ShawnBC Senior member

@Monkeyface nice polo/pop-over shirt, who makes it? Never seen one with a neat pattern like the one you're wearing! And I love your Luxire trousers but for truth's sake, I couldn't spend that amount of money on cream/white pants because in my case, they become too stained/unwearable after only a couple of wears. I treat them as disposable, and consequently, only buy white/cream chinos from Hilfiger and the likes.

10. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

What on earth do you do in them?

11. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

Glad everyone is un-snoody enough to admit liking Clarks. Ill have to revisit this topic as it applies to comparable items. Keep everyone honest, knameen?

The only chukkas I ever had were suede GG Arans, and they were like slippers right out of the box.

12. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Clark's won't make desert boots in wide. :(

Rancourt won't either, AE EOLed their suede chukkas, and Alden's are...expensive.

13. Tried and True

Tried and True Senior member

I'd put Clarks desert boots in with the likes of Sperry topsiders, Bass Wejuns and Converse All Stars; True classics, of mediocre make and somewhat disposable.

14. An Acute Style

An Acute Style Senior member

Good talk about Clarks. I'm leaning toward getting a pair then.

15. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

FYI, Clark's are sold by Amazon, which means there are customer reviews to be read. Worth doing, I think. There seems to be some disagreement as to both comfort and sizing consistency—enough to make me wonder if there are quality control issues in some cases.

Cheers,

Ac