HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, May 21, 2014.

1. upr_crust

upr_crust Senior member

Yes, like Xmas Day indeed, save for the fact that Santa also left the AmEx charges along with the loot . . . :D

2. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

My 2 cents, if anyone is interested.

1. Not all white shirts are the same. For example, in the Vox pic, his shirt is a thick, rumply, OCBD as far as i can tell. Thus clearly taking it out of the formal category.

2. There is too much misapplied white shirt hate here because sometimes people are mindless drones who just spit out what they have read before not knowing how to apply things, and when A + B =/= C.

3. Certain white shirts are indeed by nature more formal. A more simple, spread collar, not particularly obviously textured or rumply, white shirt, does look formal. And i do think that people need to mindful about how and when to wear such a shirt, because like it or not, it gives off a formal vibe, and when that is inconsistent with the rest of the items you are wearing, you should expect to get called out for it, rightfully so.

Thats all i can think of for now.

3. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

4. spectre

spectre Senior member

Charcoal flannels would look fine with that grey jacket. My grey jackets are all a bit lighter but grey pants, light, mid or dark, is the only colour I wear with them. I dislike navy pants with grey jackets, seems sort of dull. But I do like navy summer cotton or tropical wool pants with a bone jacket and a pale blue shirt.

5. spectre

spectre Senior member

White shirts generally look better with suits, I agree but they can be made to look good with sport coats if you think outside the box a bit. For example, navy blazer, white shirt, small navy and white dot tie and bone pants with tobacco suede or even black shoes. There's an Apparel Arts image like that and I think it looks stunning.

6. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

This. If you dress super-CBD every day, dressy white shirts are going to be a core part of your wardrobe. If you don't, if, say, you wear mostly sportcoats, blue is usually going to be a better option.

It's all about context, folks.

I do think the big exception to this is during the summer--casual white shirts, such as in linen, really can work well in the summer IMO.

As a side note, I think that Vox photo is probably the single worst thing I have ever seen him wear. Even Vox is human and has bad fits.

7. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

8. spectre

spectre Senior member

This I don't understand. Surely charcoal and navy would have virtually the same hue and contrast with that jacket. Grey just looks better IMO.

9. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

@justinkapurGingham/tattersall/large scale check always seem more appropriate for odd jackets as opposed to suits. Especially a citified pinstripe.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014

10. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

What Claghorn said.

11. Pingson

Pingson Senior member

Nope, do not agree - both on the missed point and that charcoal would not provide enough contrast, so I am with @spectre on this one.

Here's a similar coloured jacket with charcoal flannels. Not only do the contrast look pretty ok to me, I much prefer this look to navy trousers. YMMV of course

[​IMG]

12. in stitches

well, assuming that navy and charcoal pants would in fact provide equal contrast, at that point it just becomes personal preference as to what color appeals to each persons eye, more. personally, i pretty much always dislike any dark gray or charcoal pants with jacket and tie fits, i just dont like them. not saying they are bad, but they do not appeal to me. navy, however, does, despite it often being a hard color to wear with a jacket and tie, just the same as charcoal.

agreed. i have a similar shirt and i wont even wear it with a tie anymore. i love me a gingham, but i gots to wear is casual.

13. kulata

kulata Senior member

I really like this combo but you need better pictures man. You put up good fits but your pics suck 100% of the time.

PS: I am not against Ginghams (big or small) with suits. A lot of guys here do it well with a great deal of success.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014

14. in stitches

kulata - man of the people and equal opportunity shirt wearer! :)