HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, May 21, 2014.

1. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

This is true. The preference for blue shirts with a jacket and tie is a relatively recent development, and I would say it's become a rather lazy substitute for more careful aesthetic judgment in rather too many cases. It's also not some universally accepted norm. While I don't share my native British love of bright striped business shirts, I do like their lack of fear of pink and lavender, and like you, I also think that white is the best choice more often than many people here think, and certainly not just for formal wear.

2. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

I could stand to wear more white, especially with my more citified blazers.

3. kulata

kulata Senior member

Quick Google search on my phone yielded the following white shirt examples from:

Apparel Arts, the bible of CM
    [​IMG]

Cary Grant, the "god" of CM
    [​IMG]

Bruce Boyer
    [​IMG]

Duke of Windsor
    [​IMG]

Gianni Agnelli
    [​IMG]

Fred Astaire
    [​IMG]

Vox
    [​IMG]
    Bottom line is, people's personal aversions should not be misunderstood as rules.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
  4. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

Astaire's shirt there is probably a light blue, as is Boyer's above. Agnelli is in jeans and his look doesn't apply to this discussion. the Duke appears to be wearing yellow. the guy in the middle at top is wearing a formal fit and white is appropriate. the Cary Grant shot is at night, and he's wearing grays- so white's correct there too.

Bottom line: for most wearers, a white shirt should not be considered a regular go-to shirt, and should not be mistaken for easy to wear. White shirts aren't a staple. You need one or two.

5. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

Someone suggested I x-post this here.

WIWTOD:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. kulata

kulata Senior member

Since white shirts are only for formal use according to many then Agnelli counts. Bruce Boyer is the guy on the right, the subject matter.

[​IMG]

A clear Fred Astaire example
    [​IMG]

Duke of Windsor
    [​IMG]

All of them are wearing white shirts. A lot of the images are old and not under natural light so we won't have HD like quality/proof but that is enough evidence or suggestion that the white shirt rule is silly and since they are just clothes and we have different perspectives then to each his own.

Let me end by quoting our resident philosopher Paris Hilton :D

The only rule is don't be boring and dress cute wherever you go. Life is too short to blend in.

Paris Hilton

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/p/parishilto381709.html#TcQyRmxU07t2LefS.99

7. upr_crust

upr_crust Senior member

"New toy" day - suit and shirt, from the summer sales.

Suit - RLPL
    Shirt - Tyrwhitt
    Tie - Turnbull & Asser
    Braces - Trafalgar, via J. Press
    Cufflinks - Metropolitan Museum of Art
    Shoes - Stefano Branchini, via Bergdorf Goodman

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was suggested by one of the regular posters that I might try a more full-on Crusty Crouch - here, risking moose knuckle, (or conversely, evidence of my chastely detumescence) is the result.

[​IMG]

8. Claghorn

I am not a fan of referencing AA and sartorial greats (e.g. Cary Grant) as justification for anything. Something looks good or it doesn't. Something is coherent or it isn't. Doesn't matter who's wearing it.

9. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

10. kulata

kulata Senior member

That's not the issue. When you call out some names as examples of guys that live the white-shirts-only-for-formalcity-wear rule then it is very appropriate to show examples when it is not the case.

I am a big fan of execution over everything, which I have mentioned several times. It is either something looks good or it doesn't. Rules or guidelines are useful for people that don't know what they are doing.

11. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

My two penn'rth on the white shirt debate: I like them just fine, even as a white-faced person, and even with a blazer or sports jacket: the style of the shirt and the texture of its cloth can affect the look just as much as the colour, and sometimes the clear neutrality of white can set off a livelier sports jacket just beautifully. If it's a soft, nappy, flannelly number, or an oxdord weave, perhaps a button down, then all the better. And of course, nothing is sharper than a clean double-cuffed, medium spread white poplin with a navy pinstripe for CBD.

I'm with FlyMo on the pastels, though: I do like the the light blue a lot, either solid or micro-stripe, but blue in general is good for me. I dislike bold stripes in general, but a pink shirt is an underused wonder, especially with a grey suit and navy tie.

12. The_Foxx

The_Foxx Senior member

Just a ho hum Thursday

Sartorio 3 roll two medio blu sportcoat
    Light blu shirt
    Drakes summer tie I saw in window of bergdorf with similar sportcoat
    Incotex light gray trousers
    Loafers
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Claghorn

Not disagreeing with you. And I am also pro-white shirt. And I know you weren't saying "here is proof" and merely saying "here are examples." But the sanctity of the old school sometimes annoys me. I do think Cary Grant is one of the best dressed men I've ever seen. But I also don't think him doing something justifies it being done.

But it was more of a general comment prompted by the deluge of images.

Also, I didn't notice that you were responding to posters citing them as examples of folks who wouldn't ever wear a white shirt outside of a suit or evening context. Then, yeah, counter examples make perfect sense.

14. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

Wow Crusty...looks like Christmas Morning with your new toys!

15. notjustties

notjustties Active Member