Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, May 21, 2014.

1. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

Agreed, Pliny. White shirts are generally a bit too formal for sports coats, and a bit too refined for the sporty/rustic/rural accessories which go with a more casual code.

From first principles: if you're hunting, or inspecting your estate, or attending a polo match, a white shirt will (1) be too bright in direct sunlight, and (2) show the dirt and sweat too easily.

OTOH coloured shirts can be disastrous under artificial light as they will reflect "false colours" into the viewer's eyes.

Conclusion: white shirts never good for outdoor/sports wear, always good for evening wear.

The difficulty is in business attire. Here I think it's up to the individual, but in most cases I would say a white shirt will work with suits, especially if matched with a white PS in a TV fold and a bold tie. But so will a pastel shirt, be it blue, pink or whatever, appropriately matched. In fact I think the plain white shirt is a very versatile choice for office wear.

2. JayH

JayH Senior member

@Henry Carter What last are the Carminas?
    The blue flannel and shoe combo is on point

3. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

Sweeter words ..

White shirts are citified, formal, upper class. Definitely not a country color, so white with tweed is a noob mistake. White's almost never good with an odd jacket- blue shirts are invariably better.
    White shirts r fine with most CBD, especially with blues and grays. Not with brown suits

4. Egdon Heath

Egdon Heath Senior member

With all due respect, you're pulling that out of your backside, right? I cut my grass in a white shirt, with a little starch even. Sleeves rolled, sweat pooling, then I chuck it in the laundry; I have many. White is fine with a brown suit, white is fine with any suit. It is not a noob mistake nor am I a noob. I have been wearing starchy, gleaming, pristine oh-so-white cotton dress shirts with everything I can find for 60+ years. So how about not making preferences dictates. A little less dogmatic please.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014

5. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

6. Egdon Heath

Egdon Heath Senior member

Well see, there's your mistake right there. Manton and Foo are to clothing what Limbaugh is to politics. All talk. They're not tailors nor are they designers. They have no secret inside info. They just talk about stuff. And you are free to buy into it, as you have, but don't tell me...

Nah. Ain't buying it. You or them.

7. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014

8. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

Without getting into any of the preceding analogies, etc., the fundamental problem I have with the "white is formal" position is that the advent of tailored clothing for men occurred when "shirt" and "white shirt" were essentially synonymous. City or country, it was likely a white shirt worn with it. The term blue collar isn't a reference to light blue dress shirts for wearing with country suits.

9. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

I wan't being that literal, just pointing out the class and formality association with white shirts.

10. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

Hi guys. Vanda shantung in the wild

[​IMG]

11. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

Egdon, it's terrific to hear that you get so much use out of white shirts. I take it though, that you don't wear an evening jacket while mowing the lawn. If not, why not? There must be a reason. (If you don't actually own a dinner jacket, would it be fair to assume that if you did, you wouldn't wear it while mowing the lawn?)

Menswear "rules" are generally derived either from historical precedent or from some kind of basic reasoning. I gave some reasons for why there might be a "rule" regarding white shirts. I was not trying to argue that such rules should never be broken, merely asserting that the rule does exist. Pliny's wording may have come across as dogmatic, and doubtless he is more of an adherent to the rules than you. But he certainly didn't pull anything out of his rear end.

Would you care to comment on my "argument from first principles" regarding white shirts? Perhaps it's fatally flawed. If so, I'd be very grateful to find out.

12. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

13. Pingson

Pingson Senior member

Charcoal flanells would look great with that jacket, just sayin'....

14. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

^not in my current rotation I'm afraid but I have worn charcoal lighter weight trousers with it, works well with a black knit tie. Anyway yes navy is good with that and I wear navy trousers with a few brown/rust coats also. I'm really a fan of them what more can I say.

15. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

thanks they are the Robert last