1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, May 21, 2014.

1. Pliny

Pliny Distinguished Member

I don't understand your not understanding. [​IMG] But really, no-one's saying they dislike white shirts in any context- For me it's just that they r quite formal and so need to be used sparingly. For most of the casual fits in this thread blue's better. IMO

2. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

It's the white = formal that I don't understand. I like blue shirts, too, though. So, whatevs... :)

3. sugarbutch

I just noticed who's thumbed my post on white shirts, and it occurs to me that the aversion may be skin-tone related. I guess I can understand it from that angle.

4. AJL

AJL Distinguished Member

Actually HC, I'm sensing a subtle shift towards acceptance of navy trews here. Have seen more fits lately employing them, often preceded by the same qualifier, which subsequently get a pretty good response, provided the fit is of a generally high calibre. Nice tie, btw.

5. AJL

AJL Distinguished Member

Please to explain...(?)

6. sugarbutch

I've heard folks with lighter skin complain that white washes out their complexion. Those of us with darker skin don't have to take this into consideration. Just a theory, but in thinking about it, I think the browner of us tend to wear more white shirts than the typical StyFo denizen.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014

7. sugarbutch

Manton hasn't been around to gainsay their appropriateness.

8. BespokeKiwi

BespokeKiwi Senior Member

@mimo I love your dry wit. [​IMG]

Yes, I completely agree with your comment about being choosy and not blindly aping entire James Bond ensembles, which often contain sartorial faux pas.

A little background on me, during my younger self's military service years as an army officer, I was transferred to the British Army temporarily where a little of the traditional dress code of it's officer corps rubbed off on me; e.g. black/navy blue solid blazers with metal buttons, stripped shirts (Bengal or Butchers stripes) and regimental ties, cord trousers, and semi-brogue capped shoes.

Given the above mentioned military influence on my sartorial tastes, unsurprisingly Roger Moore's Bond character's preference for solid coloured blazers with 4-hole metal buttons resonated with me. As did Sean Connery's Bond character's military inspired conduit cut suits and woven knit/Grenadine ties and Daniel Craig's Bond character's military/polo inspired sleek C&J Tetbury (chukka) boots. Basically, all wardrobe items that arguably suit lean/lanky men with a clean cut military bearing.

[​IMG]

So, I'm definitely not in favour of blindly aping the on screen James Bond ensembles, just cherry picking the best of them -- from my own perspective.

Edit: My above mentioned humble Bond inspired garments will get their first maiden voyage outings on this WAYWRN thread as soon as some all important fit issues have been resolved with my tailor in Hong Kong and my desired ensembles have been assembled.

9. An Acute Style

An Acute Style Distinguished Member

Tuesday. I think a brown tie would have been better. This fit feels a bit fallish. I wish I had worn my stone chinos instead also.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. An Acute Style

An Acute Style Distinguished Member

Today. Keeping it simple.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. BespokeKiwi

BespokeKiwi Senior Member

@FlyingMonkey Thanks for that insight. Accordingly, as the challenged party, my weapon of choice is pints (of beer that is) -- not pistols. As with pistols at dawn, the last man standing (at the bar) wins. As my second, I nominate any Aussie or Brit member of SF with a waist size over 40 inches, as everyone knows that they're better competitive beer drinkers than either (ahem) slow poke Kiwis or Texans.

P.S. I hasten to add, that I have nothing against SF members with waist sizes over 40 inches, of course. As, until about 4-5 years ago, that included me too, during a brief period of weight and health issues. So, no more duel requests please! [​IMG]

12. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

big plus one.

i PMed GMM, it was probably mostly personal preference stuff.

mostly this. i will agree that most times i see white shirt hate i think its off, but there are definitely fits here that use white shirts where they should not have.

13. 9thsymph

9thsymph Senior Member

I thumbed your post (and I'm as pale as can be...) because white shirts simply look great in a variety of situations on a variety of skin tones. The blue-shirt-works-best-'almost'-always rule is complete nonsense. Blue shirts work well a lot of the time, but white shirts do too, and sometimes much better (not that there are many examples on this thread, though...). Hopefully this and many other of the Manton/Foo doctrines will slowly fade...

14. Pliny

Pliny Distinguished Member

Makes sense ^^^ and re: the historical formality of white shirts I know FM could give the history better than me, maybe he can chime in. But I'm thinking 'white collar' and 'blue collar' are class expressions for a reason.
    I also think white shirts just provide too much contrast with most SCs, and are less likely to complement other colors in the fit, compared to blues

15. Academic2

Academic2 Distinguished Member

I think there's some truth to this (and white shirts do look especially good against darker skin), but I'll add that even pasty-faced guys like me like them when worn with a very pale tie, like this blue Borrelli neat (suit is charcoal). Of course it's a low-contrast look, but I'm fine with those from time to time, although I realize that some aren't.

Cheers,

Ac

[​IMG]