HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, May 21, 2014.

1. DonCologne

DonCologne Senior member

And I thought every australian is wearing this kind of clothes:

[​IMG]

2. spectre

spectre Senior member

The greyhound wasn't mine, just a random pic because I like them. I have two now but the German Shorthaired Pointer/Labrador cross you now see is the most wonderful thing in my life (don't tell my wife...she's okay but a bit touchy). Totally off topic but old Polish proverb says greatest love is of mother for her son, second is of dog for owner/companion and third is between couples.

3. spectre

spectre Senior member

Isn't that the Wall St uniform?

4. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Thinks it's just a small little community all interested in the same thing and a mix of Australia not having a huge choice sartorially which brings a good population together on Style Forum. We are a laid back bunch so tend to all get along well but in our adopted forum/thread there are many of differing nationalities that now live in Australia. What makes the Aussie thread work so well is it's just not about clothes, you are just as likely to be getting advice on buying a new washing machine as to when the next Henry Bucks sale is on.

5. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

my man. ill completely admit to doing this on a rare occasion as well. I like it, and I'm sure that if i posted a pic here id be reamed. but guess what...i still look fuckin cool beleedat :fistbump:

6. An Acute Style

An Acute Style Senior member

I did go on Sunday. What's SoWa?

7. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

There was a great big fair right around you, no?

It's right in the parking lot next to the store. Arts market, indoor vintage market (you shoulda hit this up!), farmers market, and food trucks (!!!).

I go there ever couple of weekends. It's a great spot.

http://sowasundays.com/

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  8. An Acute Style

An Acute Style Senior member

Oh, yeah. It was raining so I didn't stick around afterward. It looked cool though.

9. EFV

EFV Senior member Dubiously Honored

QFT

10. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Quite a bit, though B&T is fairly reasonable given the quality they provide, and that fabric was had at a particularly good rate (they were trying to clear any extra jacket lengths to prepare for their move)

Take some solace that a good 80% of my outfits involve solid blue jackets. There is room in my closet for loud and obnoxious as well as simple. Room in yours as well, graybeard [​IMG]

11. tchoy

tchoy Senior member

I like that jacket a lot, I actually thought of ordering it when I saw the cloth. You pull it off very well, I dressed very sedately when it comes to patterns and colour and I don't mind breaking out something loud once in a while. There are always room for something bit more fun in our wardrobe.

12. BespokeKiwi

BespokeKiwi Senior member

@spectre like yourself, I draw a lot of sartorial inspiration from Sean Connery's James Bond and Cary Grant. In my case, more the former than the later at this stage. But Grant is definitely growing on me. [​IMG]

I do think its important to note that both leading men were naturally swarthy and dark featured in their hey day. Invariably sporting deep sun tans; which contrasted nicely with their simple and low key dress aesthetic, especially Grant's arguably more monochromatic look. In Bond's case, owing to his low key M16 secret agent occupation and Grant's sartorial influence on Ian Fleming, according to some.

For those of us without the above leading men's naturally swarthy and/or deeply tanned appearance, we may struggle to achieve the same "pop" (wow factor) as @Claghorn is fond of saying.

I hasten to add that I'm referring to myself here and not to you @spectre For example, I had a lot of pastel coloured solid sports shirts that I've often admired on darker skinned men. Unfortunately, when I wore them I looked washed out owing to my aged (I'm over 50) pale skin, despite my having natural black hair.

I used to tell myself that I'd look better wearing them once I have the opportunity to work on my tan. However, in these modern times when the gap between middle class and galley slave is rapidly blurring -- as financial commentator Bill Bonner says and my own experience seems to confirm -- I have even less time to work on my tan now than at any stage of my life. So, my complexion remains pale owing to too much time spent working long hours indoors. Colloquially, my appearance is referred to as the "white faced boy" look by the Chinese in South East Asia, where I spend part of the year.

So, mine is a cautionary tale for those of us aspiring to achieve a similar appearance as our on screen sartorial role models, like Sean Connery's James Bond and Cary Grant. Achieving the "pop" is easier said than done, at least for this traveller of the sartorial lonely road.

Thank goodness for the SF community and the wonderful support if offers for our individual journeys towards sartorial self realisation. Onwards...

EDIT: By the way, I loved the exchange between @DonCologne and you. Your reply was funny. Sadly, very apropos in these FUBAR times. No offence to any SF members working on Wall Street, not hating just saying.

13. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

I do think this is one of iGentry's most irritating memes - Ian Fleming and his lazy dress style have a lot to answer for! Being an alcoholic novelist living in the Caribbean, he probably did wear loafers, safari shirts and lazily-assembled knit ties if any at all, and wrote his hero the same way. But I don't think any of those things have to be a rule any more than his less celebrated Bond-preferences, such as nylon underpants, short-sleeved shirts etc., let alone the liberties taken for product placement in the resulting films...let's not even start.

Anyway, back to the point, sorry: yes, the massive Windsor knots of shiny fat tie, beloved of 90's investment bankers to match their contrast collar shirts and black chalk stripes, are deplorable. Your suggested alternatives, Spectre, of half Windsor or Pratt/Shelby, were also mine - I didn't suggest a Windsor, actually. Though to say it should "never be worn" is silly: my personal favourite is a Pratt/Shelby for formal symmetry, or a double four in hand for knits and grenadines, but that's just me. I'll also go with a straight 4IH if the tie is heavier and I'm a little more casual, or a half Windsor if it's a bit thinner for the same purpose. But if my tie were very thin and I wanted a larger neat knot than the P/S was giving, then the Windsor would be the logical solution.

So going back to Noodles, whether he wants to be symmetrical or asymmetrical is up to his mood and circumstance. But having a slightly larger knot to match his spread and his head, is just a matter of sensible proportion in my humble opinion - however he ties it. I'm not saying that a four in hand is a bad thing, or that Noodles doesn't look good - on the contrary. But in this instance, perhaps a DFIH or HW would likely improve the size ratio while keeping his suitably SF tone intact!

14. Roycru

Roycru Senior member

The Australian version is louder than that.......

[​IMG]

15. jungleroller

jungleroller Senior member

Apparently a few Jails around here are reverting back to the black and white stripes due to the popularity of Netflixs "Orange is the new Black" :brick: