HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, May 21, 2014.

1. Tirailleur1

Tirailleur1 Senior member Dubiously Honored

My point is that he should contributes in a positive manner instead of constantly talking about how great things used to be.
    As someone mentioned befote pb likes sedate things. He however does not think there is one point of reaching you goal and neither are there any "good ole days"

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014

2. The Thin Man

The Thin Man Senior member

I guess I see the problem being that nearly everything the ace "item coordinators" of today champion they will be embarrassed about in six or seven years, since it's being driven by the style of the moment. When @itsstillmatt or @Manton (I could name 20 others) were posting, they had individual tastes that more rooted in what has been going on for the past 85 years, so I doubt they're embarrassed by much of what they posted.

3. Pingson

Pingson Senior member

X-posting from the FC - a one pattern fit, that supposedly are so rare here ;)

4. kulata

kulata Senior member

You just went back in time (2006) in your DeLorean.

5. Tirailleur1

Right because when he was blowing poetic smoke up our asses about the sixties he was only talking about clothes.

6. AJL

AJL Senior member

Wow, that's a pretty harsh assessment. You seem to be implying the forum is no longer "special". Given that you've been a member for less than 5 years, it seems a bit presumptive for you to take on the mantle of forum historian, i.e., "vast majority of the old mostly bespoke-experience members". Unless you've done a whole lot of archival reading.

Things evolve, people and circumstances change. It's the stuff of life. What spectre, and now you, seem to be implying is you'd like things to stand still, a perpetuation of the tried and true, like an Old Boys' club. That things may be slightly less elitist and more open-minded style-wise is not a bad thing IMO ( there's still plenty of elitism, bespoken- ness and "Good Taste" available here, however, and plenty of rarified air to breathe for those who crave it).

While some of the established older guard may have migrated, for various reasons, there are some more recent members whose insight and breadth of knowledge are both inspirational and instructive. Check it out.

I would conclude by suggesting that while there has perhaps been a more recent proliferation of louder, multi- pattern fits, style, like most things, is cyclical. Lapel and pants legs get narrower then wider, gorge heights go up then down, trouser bottoms go from 1" to 2" to no cuffs. Certain trends fall in and out of favor, and I suspect this riot of patterns may tone down over time. Still, I think it's fun to explore the possibilities.

Welcome to the new Good Old Days.

7. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

I appreciate AJL's posts with the same frequency that I do some of my favorite posters' fits.

Disclaimer: I haven't read his post yet. But I bet it's even-handed and filled with perspective.

8. Tirailleur1

it is

10 years from now when things come full circle and the new posters are posting sedate fits, we will have some of you bitching and complaining how in the good ole days we wore challenging patterns.

It is what humans do.

9. The Thin Man

Yes, quite a bit more than is reasonable.

No, but this isn't rocket science. There are styles that looked good decades ago and still look good, and there's stuff that was seen as great three years ago that few people would touch now. I think the proportion of the former on this forum has been somewhat eclipsed by the latter.

Actually, I see a lot of myself in the newer, more knowledgeable members. That is, people who've spent too much time on the forums. It's like reading secondary sources.

10. EFV

EFV Senior member Dubiously Honored

I'm too old to be embarrassed by stuff I used to wear. I won't be embarrassed in 7 years either, even if my taste in clothes may have changed. Also, I don't revere all the old posters as others seem to do. Admittedly, there were some really great dressed fellas here who stopped posting, but I'd rather point out the likes of LK, Barims, Vox, maomao et c.

11. The Thin Man

Fair enough, I should look at your posts. Vox and maomao were big bespoke guys. LK and Barims were a couple of the great dandies in the world -- a tough standard for mere mortals to learn from.

12. arnathor

arnathor Senior member

Eff the haters, I thought AAC 'washed out' look was killing it, classically preppy IDGAF American styling, one of my favourites over the last 10+ pages.
    If I made a bill of rights pocket square, would you gents wear it? :p

13. EFV

EFV Senior member Dubiously Honored

No doubt, I wouldn't pretend to ever come close to their sense of flair. I really appreciate LK and Barim's unconventional styles though. To some extent, maomao also wore some less than classic combinations with success.

14. Shen

Shen Senior member

X-post from FC.

15. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

I'd say the more significant shift is from discussion to acquisition. "Pattern matching as competitive sport" goes back to the earliest days of the forum, and is a common rite of passage. There's a natural tendency to peacock, especially for young guys, and far fewer folks here these days urging restraint. (Or at least fewer influential members willing to denounce things in forceful Foo-fashion.)

This is one of the odder phenomena. I still see people spouting the old conventional wisdom, only for misremembered, misunderstood or out-of-context reasons. It's funny to see Manton's dislike of red ties hang on, with people dismissing them as loud, unsophisticated or coordination-unfriendly even as WAYW basks in a neon glow.

For the record, I like red ties, so not all the old ways were better.