1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, May 21, 2014.

1. GMMcL

GMMcL Distinguished Member

This was what I meant when I said that jacket length needs to bisect you, and that it has nothing to do with where the hem falls against your hand.

Pretty sure I was openly mocked and didn't get 22 thumbs.

2. chocsosa

chocsosa Distinguished Member

Wow, thanks Edmorel! Yea my style is very monotone..I think to the chagrin of other posters on here.. and it is an area that I want to improve (even though it is a matter of comfort and Im more comfortable in minute patterns really)..but fit for me is paramount. To correct I am 6"9 with a more than average drop (9 inches)..so its hard sometimes to shop.. I see great deals on ebay for used suits but cant even fathom it due to my inseam (an inseam of a 40-41)..or my long arms (a shirt sleeve length of a 39)..but the beauty is in the hunt.. and when you find something that might work but needs some work.. and then when it comes together and it fits your vision.. thats the pleasure for me..when it comes to the aesthetics of suit, Im not really hung on that..I have seen Don C with his suits that have lower gorges and it looks awesome because the cuts are flattering and they fit well generally speaking..I have only done M2M's a few times with varying levels of success.. but with a kid and more responsibilities now financially those days are behind me for the most part (shoot I have not bought a suit in over 2 years)..

3. EliodA

EliodA Distinguished Member

IMO, it all depends on the individual. While the bisect rule may work well for some, for me it will result in a jacket that is too short. Like most vertically challenged men, my legs are short compared to my body. What I dislike about too short jackets is usualy the resulting silhouette that looks feminine to me. Probably because, since the jacket does not cover hips/bottom it flares out like /_\ , i.e. like a skirt. A jacket that's long enough should have a bottom like this: |_|
    On top of that, a somewhat longer jacket gives a leaner impression, suggesting a greater overall height. All excellently explained in this post from Phat Guido: http://mostexerent.tumblr.com/post/11058463975/cover-your-ass-there-is-a-common-misconception

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014

4. spectre

spectre Distinguished Member

Well I think you look great, but then I would say that wouldn't I. Only suggestion is a solid tie with a little more contrast to the suit.
    With basketball so big in the States I imagine there are lots of tall guys around but solid or monotone schemes certainly would make height less of an obvious issue I suppose.

5. Claghorn

Claghorn Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

I'll refrain from pointing out you just did.

Plenty of people agree with your view here. They just feel you could be doing a better job championing it. I would love to see more sedate fits. I'm all for variety, and sedate is often missing from this thread.

I see your experience with that nasty fungal infection has taught you nothing.

6. Pliny

Pliny Distinguished Member

I'll give u my opinion, but it's not pretty:

You look like an Undertaker: all sombre colors, no contrast.

Black against dk brown is a 'no no' in general, and here it looks depressing.
    You appear to be wearing a white shirt. White shirts lie towards the formal end of the spectrum (altho I think an unbuttoned one can look good under a linen SC in Summer) and should be used sparingly, if ever, in a casual fit like this one.

The jacket looks odd- Is it part of a suit? Its lapels are too slim. I can't see the lower pockets, but if they're jetted or flapped, fuggedaboudit- u shouldn't wear that thing as an SC.

The tie? The knot's lifeless- give it a dimple and some shape.

Keep posting fits. FWIW IME the really blunt opinions are the ones that have helped me most.

7. spectre

Well being honestly critical and offering mild self-effacing suggestions are mutually exclusive in my view. Not enough harsh reality here but I think it's just a sartorial cultural thing. Just the way Americans dress these days. Ironically when I subscribed to Esquire and GQ back in the '60s when they were good I loved the American dress sense. But that was the 60s and we had everything...James Bond, Steve McQueen, the Beatles, the Stones, the E-Type, the Mini. And of course the most important - the pill.

8. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Quote: Thanks, Clags. Bruce Boyer is by far my favorite menswear writer, and it's mostly because of this. In many of this books, he offers no prescription, just an honest appreciation of the subject. The book that is closest to my heart is Rebel Style.

It's so easy to hate things. Criticizing everyone and everything doesn't make you incisive and intelligent. It mostly just makes you a bore.

In this thread, and on Styleforum in general, there is a wonderful pluralism of styles. No, the fits are not always perfect. So what of it? The imperfections highlight the beauty. I think that it's a much more fruitful exercise to find something interesting, rather than focus on what you don't like. This is what I try to do when I'm choosing pictures for the tumblr, for example. I'm glad that a lot of other posters seem to agree with me.

9. Tirailleur1

Tirailleur1 Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

you also had laws that discriminated against minorities and the stolen generation amongst other things. What's your point?

10. Pliny

11. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Lol. My bad. You Cary Grant types all look the same.

12. spectre

Yeah, there was Vietnam, Kennedy killings, the Cold War, all sorts of bad crap.

My point is I was highlighting the good things and a style and time which were unique. This is a clothes forum so my ultimate point I suppose is I loved the fashion, for want of a better word, in the early to mid 60s, which after a long wait is re-emerging in bits and pieces.
    The stolen generation is not a simplistic fact as you suggest.

13. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Distinguished Member

Never had one of those. Malaria on the other hand...

14. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Distinguished Member

What's the point of this? I don't see what this has to do with anything either.

So did america. So did everyone else. What does this have to do with dressing well and clothing fit? I mean, the KKK suits weren't really the aesthetic that we go for here, but atleast they weren't slim fit with bowing lapels.

Seriously. Argue about what the thought process is, don't drag shit into it. This is so frustrating. This is like a bad relationship where every fight is about everything other than the toast getting burnt. It gets everyone nowhere.

Edit: I've never fought with an ex about burnt toast. I have no idea why I thought of that. I blame the scotch.

15. Pliny